PDA

View Full Version : Beade Hollowform w/ Different Finial

Richard Madden
08-25-2010, 10:29 AM
On the other thread I posted there were several who thought the finial was too big, and to tell the truth, I agree. So I tried another. Same basic shape, but this one is Osage Orange, dyed for contrast since the form is the same wood. Your opinions would be appreciated. This is the first one I posted;

http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh17/RickM1_album/006-7.jpg

Here's the latest;

http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh17/RickM1_album/003-8.jpg

Here are the two finials together showing the difference in size and shape;

http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh17/RickM1_album/008-4.jpg

What do you think? Any improvement? C & C welcomed.

John Hart
08-25-2010, 10:58 AM
I think it's a nice improvement. I'm a big fan of a finial base that follows the curve of the HF shoulder. Sorta one of the first things I focus on.

Anyway...this second finial seems to flow with the form a little better.

Nice work Richard! :)

Tim Rinehart
08-25-2010, 11:26 AM
I also like the 2nd finial. The height suits the piece better, as does more contrast.

I think John Keeton mentioned something in a similar thread that the darker colors also provide a little more lightness to the finials, vs something like holly that would appear heavier, even with same exact dimensions.

Looks good! I really have to try making a bead tool...may have to sacrifice the piece of 3/8" bar I got for a Bedan tool to try a bead instead.

Michelle Rich
08-25-2010, 11:52 AM
I will totally go against the grain here..I like the light colored finial..not the original size, butone at the new black size.The size more appropriate on the new one...We see so many black ones, the lighter color is original & refreshing..good remake tho..I think size super..

Richard Madden
08-25-2010, 11:57 AM
Tim,
You might want to use some of those 2-1/2" tooling bits in 1/4" or 5/16" square. I buy them at the flea market for a buck apiece or less. They can be found at Harbor Freight and many other places. Same things used in Don Pencil hollowing systems and others I'm sure. Save that 3/8 for a bedan, unless you're wanting bigger beads.

John Keeton
08-25-2010, 12:42 PM
Richard, I do agree with Michelle on the choice of woods, but also agree that the size of the second one is better. However, since you asked, the 'flow' of the first coming out of the bulb is much better.

James Combs
08-25-2010, 1:45 PM
Richard, I do agree with Michelle on the choice of woods, but also agree that the size of the second one is better. However, since you asked, the 'flow' of the first coming out of the bulb is much better.

I like the second one best and I disagree with JK, I think the transition between the vase and the finial is perfect. To me the first one looks like an attachment where as the second seams more integrated into the "whole". Also, I have to go with Michelle on the color.

John Keeton
08-25-2010, 2:48 PM
I like the second one best and I disagree with JK, I think the transition between the vase and the finial is perfect. To me the first one looks like an attachment where as the second seams more integrated into the "whole". Also, I have to go with Michelle on the color.JD, I was speaking of the curve/flow coming from the onion of the finial up into the neck - not the transition from the vase to the finial.

Steve Schlumpf
08-25-2010, 2:54 PM
Richard,

The overall height of the new finial fits the hollow form better. I agree with the others that the natural wood of the first one works better than the black. That's more of a personal taste thing...

I took the liberty of pointing out a couple of areas on the finials for you to consider next time. Only other thing - to me - if that the onion portion of the finials seems to be placed a little high. Just feels like it is closer to 1/2 than 1/3 - but that is how I perceive it. Other thing would be to shorten the neck area slightly - just before it becomes the onion.

These are only opinions and are offered to give you something to consider next time.

steven carter
08-25-2010, 3:07 PM
+1 for original wood, second finial size with lower onion and better transition from onion to tip, second finial that flows into the top of the HF.

Steve

Bernie Weishapl
08-25-2010, 3:41 PM
I agree with the second finial.

Baxter Smith
08-26-2010, 11:20 AM
If you take the best of both, I think you would have a better looking finial but sometimes I just move on to the next one. Whatever you decide, thanks for posting and getting me to think about it!

Richard Madden
08-26-2010, 11:58 AM
I tried to follow Steve's suggestions (and others) and re-chucked the finial. Here's the finished product with the modifications;

http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh17/RickM1_album/011-5.jpg

I thinned the cove and I tried (although not sure if i succeeded) to smooth the transition from the top of the onion. C & C welcomed.