PDA

View Full Version : Old Porter Cable 314 worm drive trim saw help pls.

David Brown
08-25-2010, 9:17 AM
Hi,
I bought a used 314 trim saw, appears fairly old, runs great. Stupis question How do i get the blade off?(duh)

Is it leaft hand thread bolt? How best to hold the blade, I see no lock or wrench flat.(Do I hust clamp a block of wood or is there a trick?

I hate to force it and break the bolt.

thank you, Dave

John A. Schaefer
08-25-2010, 11:25 AM
According to the manual (http://www.dewaltservicenet.com/documents/English/Instruction%20Manual/Porter-Cable/EnA09148.pdf) I found online:

TO CHANGE SAW BLADES
WARNING: DISCONNECT TOOL FROM POWER SOURCE
To remove the blade, place the teeth of the blade against the edge of a
board and loosen the blade retaining screw by turning it counterclockwise
with the provided wrench. Remove the blade retaining screw and the outer
flange. Hold the telescoping guard open and remove the blade. Before
installing a new blade, remove the inner flange and wipe it clean. Also
remove any sawdust that may have accumulated in the guards, around the
saw arbor, and from the telescoping guard spring. Check the telescoping
guard to ensure that it is in working order.

I hope this helps.

lowell holmes
08-25-2010, 11:55 AM
Your going to love that saw. I had one that walked off. When Black and Decker bought Delta/Porter Cable, I bought another one. I was afraid they would quit making it or cheapen it.

The blade that came with the new one is a carbide tip blade and it is a great blade.
I managed to hit some steel with it and replaced it with Frued blade. It also is a great blade.

Greg R Bradley
08-25-2010, 12:58 PM
Put the teeth of the blade against a piece of scrap. Use the wrench to turn the screw in the direction of blade rotation to remove. Left hand thread would be for a saw that had the blade on the left since you always tighten a nut or screw AGAINST rotation of the blade.

Very nice little saw. I like mine that I've had for 10 years, which seemed like it cost a bunch when I bought it. The stock 20-tooth carbide blade works well.

Larry Edgerton
08-26-2010, 6:21 AM
Reverse threads..........