PDA

View Full Version : A couple more Ash pieces

Mark Cothren
08-25-2010, 12:08 AM
I haven't figured out how much I like this foot yet, but like it or not it is there. The other piece is another "scrap" pith slab. All flavors of comments welcomed.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v684/markfromark/woodturning/AshFooted01.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v684/markfromark/woodturning/AshSquare02.jpg

Leo Van Der Loo
08-25-2010, 1:42 AM
Mark the foot doesn't look bad IMO, just that if this is a user bowl the foot will make it not very stable, even the same size foot but much lower would be be less of a problem if the bowl was tipped at least that's how I see it, nice bowl though, like your rim on it, well done.

Jim Vieira
08-25-2010, 2:08 AM
Nice piece of ash. I had to say it. All kidding aside that is a nice bowl, great for chips. Now you need to make a matching salsa/dip bowl.

John Keeton
08-25-2010, 5:27 AM
Mark, I think I like this 'slab' bowl a little better than the last. This one has a 'lift' to it from the underside being turned somewhat. I don't recall the other one having that, though I could be wrong.

On the larger bowl, the height of the foot is a little much for me, but it works with the bowl. Unlike some, I like footed bowls, but the proportions are so subject to personal taste it seems.

Nice work on both! I really like the ash - always makes a nice turning IMO.

Roger Chandler
08-25-2010, 5:44 AM
Nice bowl, good form..........the foot could be a little less in height, and just a little larger to be complimentary to the body of the bowl.

A lot of times the size of the foot is somewhat determined by the size of the tenon that fits the particular jaws in your chuck, and reworking that dimension can only be done if it goes in the smaller direction,

Overall a nice bowl............I also like a foot on a bowl, it gives it lift, and adds a dimension to the design in my opinion.

John Hart
08-25-2010, 6:34 AM
I like the overall oriental flare to the design of the first bowl. It has good character and stands alone quite well.

The rough piece, I think is even cooler than the last one you posted. I'm liking these a lot.

Tom Sherman
08-25-2010, 6:42 AM
John summed it up pretty good for me too. I like the bowl, first thing I thought of was a rice bowl, the Ruff is also a step up from the last too. Thought I had responded to this but my first cup of coffee had not been consumed yet and I was wrong.

David DeCristoforo
08-25-2010, 10:24 AM
What JK said. The bowl is very nice (I happen to like the look of footed bowls) but the "square" piece is too cool for words.

Pete Jordan
08-25-2010, 11:02 AM
I really like them Mark!

I like a foot on some bowls to differentiate them from the others

Bernie Weishapl
08-25-2010, 3:47 PM
Really nice Mark. I like them both but the first with the simple form is nice.

Steve Schlumpf
08-25-2010, 5:14 PM
Mark - I like the 'rice bowl' and the slanted rim adds a little character!

I like this square bowl better than the first because of the underside curve. Pretty cool stuff!

James Roberts
08-25-2010, 11:07 PM
More great work. I personally like footed bowls and this is no exception. The slab bowl is very cool and I like it a bit more than the first one you posted due to the feeling of height given with the underside shape.

Greg Just
08-25-2010, 11:15 PM
Love the slab bowl. Very unique. Thanks for sharing.