PDA

View Full Version : Harbor Freight HVLP Turbine System - First Impressions

Darius Ferlas
08-24-2010, 11:16 PM
This is definitely a low end HVLP sprayer (http://www.harborfreight.com/high-volume-low-pressure-spray-gun-kit-44677.html) but having had a very tough time finishing a walnut dining table using all kinds of brushes, tips and tricks, I decided that the cost of wasted finishing material, brushes, paper towel and solvents was coming close to the price of the sprayer. The reviews were good so for the price, I went for it.

I bought it for US$74.99. The final price with shipping was US$89, pickup in a Buffalo UPS store. If I waited just two days I could have had it for about US$ 65.00 (shipped) but oh well.. that 20% coupon came a day too late. Border control was not interested in charging me any duty fees. The sprayer has been sitting in my garage for the last two weeks, waiting for a real life test, which happened this evening.

Other than what HF site says about the system, it comes with 3 sets of needles and tips - 1.5mm, 1.8mm and 2.0mm. That is quite a decent range and should suffice for most woodworking projects. The manufacturer also throws in a viscosity cup.

The hose is somewhat rigid but manageable during spraying. The turbine is basically an air blower, a reverse of a common household vacuum cleaner, and as such it produces comparable noise. I'd even say it is a little less noisy than my not so cheap Panasonic vac. It's definitely quieter than an average shop vac, and by far than my central vacuum system. The air coming out of the turbine is very warm. I came across opinions that is it beneficial, for some reason, that it warms up the material

The cup and the gun's handle and screw cap are plastic but both seem pretty well made. Two aspects of spraying can be controlled - the amount of material, via a brass knob in the upper part of the trigger, and spray pattern - horizontal, vertical and cone. This is done just like in any spray gun.

I have some experience with spray guns but that goes back about 16 years or so. Even so, spraying seems like riding a bicycle - once you learn how you never forget. My preparation took about 15 minutes - a few sheets of plastic - on the floor and some old sheet hanging against a shelf and I was ready to fill the cup with material. For tonight I had some Zinsser shellac to shoot on the parts of a bed I just about finished.

I did not check the viscosity as the shellac consistency seemed right for the default 1.8mm needle/nozzle set. My test shot took about 20 seconds spraying a 2 by 4 piece of MDF. things looked good so I went on with the real pieces.

The results exceeded my moderate expectations. I did over-spray in one spot (seen in the photo, upper right area) but shellac is easy to fix so I wasn't worried. In general I am very satisfied with the purchase and, for the price of a gallon of decent clear coat, no regrets at all. I may have to experiment with some of the tighter corners and spaces to make sure these get enough finish without over spraying the adjacent areas. Or perhaps I need to plan the spraying sequence before I pull that trigger.

Spraying of two pieces (as shown in the photo) took no more than 2 minutes and that included moving them around. I sprayed both sides of each. Unlike with conventional guns, there is little over spray so most of the material ends up on the wood you spray, instead of that next t it. I knew about that ahead of time, hence my ad hoc "spray booth". Next time I will put together something better looking.

Cleaning took about 5 minutes and consisted of simply shooting out a little methyl hydrate to clear the nozzle. I also rinsed the cup and wiped the lid with the same solvent.

If this thing last me just a year it will have paid for itself in time, material and quality of finish. Brushing, unless there is some aesthetic reason for it, doesn't come even close. Obviously, the HF HVLP system is nowhere near the quality of more expensive systems, but then, it costs about as much as replacement nozzles for some of them. As for the finish, I think it would be hard to tell the difference.

The same machine is sold under various guises by Rockler (http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=10469) (US$ 129.99, or about US$ 100 when on sale, plus shipping) and Princess Auto (http://www.princessauto.com/air/air-tools/paint-guns/0450070-120v-turbine-hvlp-spray-system) (CDN $169.99).

NOTE about the picture:

walnut
one coat of Zinsser Amber Shellac
not sanded after application

brett gallmeyer
08-25-2010, 12:31 PM
Thanks for the writeup.. Ive been contiplateing this one for a bit. might just pull the trigger now.

Cesar Vega
09-07-2010, 11:56 PM
Hi,

Have you had a chance of testing some else with this unit?

There's another guy having problems with it to apply lacquer:
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=147672

I'm considering in acquire this, that's why I'm interested... :)

Thanks

Darius Ferlas
09-08-2010, 6:56 AM
Cesar, so far I have sprayed the following finishes, and all with good results:

Minwax Polycrilic - 1.8mm needle, no thinning
Varathane WB Crystal - 1.8mm needle, no thinning
Zinsser Sealcoat - 1.5mm needle, no thinning
Zinsser Amber Shellac - 1.8mm needle, no thinning
Pratt & Lambert #38 - 1.5mm needle, thinned 20%

All results were good once I figured out the right combination of the amount of material and distance of the tip from the sprayed surface. I noticed that the recommended 6 to 8 inches is much close for the WB finishes. What worked for me was more like 4 to 5". Shellac and P&L worked fine at the recommended distance.

At one time, used the wrong needle (2.0mm for the Varathane WB) and that resulted in a subtle, but fairly consistent orange peel.

Cesar Vega
09-08-2010, 10:53 AM
Cool!

Nice to near it worked for you! :)

Andrew Gibson
09-11-2010, 10:32 AM
I saw some reviews on this sprayer and decided to pick one up yesterday. Found a 20% off coupon and headed down to HF.

I also picked up some Zinnser seal coat and some minwax polycrilic. I plan to give the sprayer a test today and see how it works. I have a small box I finished up this week and it is ready for some shellac and maybe some poly. I will report back with my findings... this will be my first time spraying.

Scott Holmes
09-11-2010, 9:11 PM
When a finish is properly applied; no one should be able to tell if it was applied by spray, brush, roller, or rag.

Try varnish with a quality brush sometime; you will be amaxed at the diference between a quality brush ($30+) and a cheap brush...