PDA

View Full Version : Side or Sole ?

Keith Christopher
12-12-2004, 9:36 AM
You know I have been aquiring more hand planes. NO I'm not on a slippery slope, as I said before I can quit anytime. :p I remember my grandfaher who taught me this trade so long ago used to keep his handplanes on their side. He would always say that you never want to keep it on the sole in case you still have the blade lowered in your planes. Thoughts comments ? I still find myself storing them on their sides. :)

On a sad note, most of my cousins got to my grandfathers tools before I could jump in and ask for them and I have no idea where they went. :(

Roy Wall
12-12-2004, 11:31 AM
I believe you may get a 50/50 split on these responses.........

If you're one to leave the blade alone- as you like the shavings, then put it on the side for sure. I lay mine on the side while working. I imagine most people do this while working at the bench.

Others may lay the plane sole end on a scrape piece of wood (on the bench) to keep the blade off.....

Now, storing is another option.....as many probably put a 1/4" or so "lift" at one end of each "plane bay" to keep the plane tilted and allow clearance for the blade....

I eager to hear other thoughts like you!!!

James Keeler
12-12-2004, 11:51 AM
I don't know if I'd do this with my most treasured planes, but I collect mousepads fand use them as a lining for the shelf where i keep my planes. They are cheap (usually gimmee's) and easily cut to size.

Roger Myers
12-12-2004, 12:11 PM
Keith, like Roy said, that question will get a mixed response...kinda like asking pins or tails first :)
That said, I store them sole dowm with a thin strip of wood running the length of the shelf/till that keeps the plane iron from contacting the shelf. On the bench, I rest the toe of the sole on a small scrap also...Might on occasion lay one on its' side if the scrap isn't handy, but when the plane is on its' side, the plane iron is expsed to damage...when its' resting sole down, on a scrap of wood, the iron is still elevated, but protected.
Roger

Steve Wargo
12-12-2004, 12:25 PM
In plane sacks with the irons retracted. I find the sacks really help prevent the rust. When I'm using them I store them on the side, but only if it's being used at the time, or switching between planes. I'm also very aware of where it is at all times so as not to nick it with another plane or hard tool. If it's a plane that will not be used for a while (glung something up or working on something all together for a short time) then I retract the iron and store it on it's sole or in a plane sack.

Bob Smalser
12-12-2004, 12:30 PM
Mixed bag.

I get yelled at occasionally for showing pictures of planes resting on their soles instead of their sides during work....so I now try to show them laid on their sides to avoid another silly argument.

It's a good practice, I guess....you never know when you will leave a nail sticking out of your workpiece to bite the iron...

...but I'm much more concerned about my larger problem of knocking them off the Workmate or the deck of the boat, breaking the tote and really banging them all out of kilter. ;)