PDA

View Full Version : Got the lathe ordered now what

Mike Rushing
08-24-2010, 10:32 PM
Got the lathe ordered. Have the grinder and turning tools will have to wait on the jig will try to free hand for a while. I would like to order a pen turning kit and sand paper. Is there a kit I should look at? This is the one I am looking at Basic Pen Making Starter Set w/#2 MT Mandrel from Penn State Industries. Is there anything else that I should order?

John Keeton
08-24-2010, 10:38 PM
Is there anything else that I should order?Mike, that question is going to open a can of worms for you!!:D Get a pencil, paper, and a couple of credit cards in your hand and hold on!!

Roger Chandler
08-24-2010, 10:41 PM
Did you get the Delta 46-460? Hold on tight, cause you are in for a ride in the Vortex! :eek::D

Mike Rushing
08-24-2010, 10:45 PM
Yes I got the delta. Now the question is what to do with it when it gets here.

Roger Chandler
08-24-2010, 10:57 PM

Mike,

For your first lathe, you really got good one! You will be able to most of what you will want, and more than you can believe at this point, just starting out.

You will love the variable speed.............congratulations!

Donny Lawson
08-24-2010, 11:16 PM
Real good decision on the Delta.Mine was great.It will have all the power for your needs.I can't wait until I get a new one.Need a new shop first.Where did you order yours from?
Donny

gary Zimmel
08-24-2010, 11:22 PM
Congrats on the new lathe Mike...
But I think after you get it we will be saying congrats a whole lot more as you get more and more toys for it. Welcome to the vortex...

David E Keller
08-24-2010, 11:25 PM
Mike, there are a lot of directions you could go from here. If you really want to turn pens, I'd give Ernie at Beartoothwoods a call. He's a really nice guy, and his prices are affordable. Shop the internet a bit and figure out what style of pens you like then make a call. He'll be able to guide you through the basics. I have no affiliation with BTW, but I have had great success purchasing from him.

Regarding pens, many folks recommend starting with slimline pens. While they are pretty inexpensive, I think there are other kits that are much easier to make. The sierra/wallstreet style pens are quite simple. I find cigar pens to be quite easy, and the atlas/polaris style kits are a breeze as well.

Welcome to the vortex.

Bernie Weishapl
08-24-2010, 11:28 PM
Mike PSI has a free DVD on pen turning. That is what I started with. It gives you a idea of what is needed.

Michael James
08-25-2010, 12:36 AM
Mike,
If you're just going to turn pens then you will need some finishing supplies, and of course each pen kit uses a different size drill bit and bushings. David has some good advice on easier, but more expensive and nicer pens, and you cant go wrong with the free DVD Bernie mentioned (on making them).
As a guy that started out to make a couple of pens to beat the winter blues, I will tell you that if you are not good at sharpening you're going to be frustrated. Sharp knives make all the difference in the world and increase the "fun factor" by X. They are safer too! Im suggesting you get the jig ASAP, as a MUST have, rather than a nice to have. Then you have the rest of your life to learn free hand sharpening, or just sharpen and turn wood!:eek:
mj
ps- I want that lathe too

Jim Vieira
08-25-2010, 2:03 AM
Nice lathe, I just got my first lathe but it's not that nice. I found the learning to turn book a great help to get started. Have fun

Kyle Iwamoto
08-25-2010, 3:21 AM
Good choice on the lathe. Much better than a Jet Mini. If that lathe was available when I got my mini, I would have bought it........ the PSI kit is a good kit IMO.

Cut up your credit cards now when they still have no balance.....

William Hutchinson
08-25-2010, 7:24 AM
Long ago ocean voyagers were allured by the sweet song of the Sirens. Befallen to their enchantments, these sea hardened souls, ventured perilous closer to that exquisite temptress to whisper these final tragic words, “is there anything else I should order?”

Hell yes, there’s a catalog of stuff to order. First get safety items, at minimum a face shield and respirator-- a Trend Pro will do. Get some turning tools, a set for the pens and others just to have. Then you’ll need lathe accessories, chucks, mandrills, tool rests, etc. Now you think you’re ready to start, NOT. What about your shop, have you got the storage space for the extra tools and wood? And, how are you going to get rid of all the shavings that end up in every square inch of your shop, in your pockets and bottom of your shoes-that will track all over your house and somehow end up in your car. Put a bed in your shop while your at it, cause you might be sleeping there. Now you’ll need some turning substance, I didn’t say wood because pen makers are using all kinds materials. A chain saw will come in handy for those chance opportunities to retrieve blanks of storm fallen wood from that rare twisted historic tree. What are you going to do with your turned blanks, well you’re going to sand and finish them of course. So go get that stuff for your next bit of excitement. Oh and get some skin treatment medication, for when you discover that some wood is toxic and will eat holes in your skin.

Now you’re minimally prepared to begin.

Dave Wagner
08-25-2010, 7:37 AM
You may need a drill press to drill your own blanks, I think the kit comes with pre-drilled blanks. if you don't have one, you can do it on the lathe, if you have the right chuck & drill holder.

Mike Rushing
08-25-2010, 11:18 AM
I ordered it local I like to try and shop local. I have A drill press miter saw table saw and chainsaw. I was looking for stuff I need to get started. I do not have anywhere to get stuff local. What kind of finish stuff would I need. If I was to get a jig what should I get and would I need any other attachments to go with it? Where would be a good place to order it from?

Lance kanaby
08-25-2010, 12:12 PM
I would strongly suggest that you join a local area woodturning club and also get yourself a mentor.

Mike Rushing
08-25-2010, 1:37 PM
I wish I had one or could find someone around me that I could learn from

Roger Chandler
08-25-2010, 4:22 PM
Mike,

Lathe chisels, face sheild, scroll chuck, dust mask, wood to turn, sharpening system [Grinder -8 inch is best, with a jig like wolverine system, or you can build one out of scrap lumber]

Do a google search on "sharpening Jig for lathe tools" and you will see some pics of ones different folks have made.

These are the get started tools.... to do pens, you need a pen mandrel and some accessories, so get a copy of a Craft supplies USA catalog, or Packard Woodworks Catalog....or you can view them online as well, and see what we are all talking about.

Mike Cross
08-25-2010, 5:45 PM
Mike,

Where in Louisiana are you located?

Mike

Ken Glass
08-25-2010, 7:00 PM
Mike,
Welcome to never ending spinning Vortex we call turning. We have all been there and many of us are still falling fast. Hold on, the ride is sometimes bumpy but always entertaining. Now comes the tougher part. The tools and accessories. There will be many opinions. Start with a few basic Lathe tools and build slowly after you have gained some experience and confidence. Welcome to being broke.....most of the time.

Bill Wilcox
08-25-2010, 7:27 PM
Do your best to try and get some sleep. :p
I know when I ordered mine, I could hardly sleep until it arrived. I was counting lathes in my sleep.
Congrats!!!

Jon Behnke
08-25-2010, 9:18 PM
Mike, congrats on the lathe, you picked a nice one! Pens are a good item to start with. You might want to check out the International Assoc. of Penturners forum, do a search and you'll find it. There's a lot of good information on pen turning there. A couple of quick things: Sandpaper - get some Norton 3X, should be able to find it at your local BORG, 120 to 600 grit. For a good starter finish for pens get some Mylands friction polish, it's not the most durable but it's easy to use a get a nice finish, Craft Supplies has this along with anything else you can think of for turning.
The best thing to do with a new lathe is mount some free wood and make shavings.

charlie knighton
08-25-2010, 11:13 PM
good choice, i have seen two of those locally, but have not turned on one yet, i know you are smiling :D