PDA

View Full Version : Hold Fast system on G0698 18x47 lathe

Roger Chandler
08-24-2010, 7:29 PM
Today I turned a black walnut bowl 9-5/8 inches across, and 4 inches deep.

After removing some punky wood, and getting the shape pretty much where I wanted, and sanded, I took it out of the SuperNova 2 chuck and put it into my new Hold Fast Vacuum Chuck [the first time I have used it]

I would like to report that the vacuum chuck performed flawlessly on this bowl and on the G0698 lathe. The vacuum gauge registered 22 hg, and I turned the bottom off at 960 rpm, and the bowl never moved at all. I used the 6 inch chuck head for this bowl, and I have to say, that I was impressed with the functionality of this system, and the way it was so easy to set up and use on my 18x47 lathe.

If anyone has a compressor that will give 4 or more cfm, then you should not have any problems at all with the Hold Fast system. The makers of the unit say 3 cfm, but I added one just to be safe.

The only thing I had to do to make it fit my G0698 lathe was what any other lathe owner would have to do, and that is cut the threaded rod to length that goes through the spindle to correct length, and remove the plastic dust cover off the center of the outboard spindle hole. Piece of cake!

I did put a coat of sanding sealer on the inside of the bowl before I removed it from the SN2 chuck, to avoid air leakage through the end grain, and the vacuum was maintained at a high [22hg] level, the minimum requirement is about 11 or 12 hg.

Hope this helps anyone with a 18x47 lathe and is considering a vacuum chuck system..........this one really works well.

John Keeton
08-24-2010, 8:51 PM
Great news, Roger!!! A vacuum chuck is probably next on my list - but, it shall be awhile.

patrick michael stein
08-24-2010, 9:21 PM
john,

the hold fast system sells for under 350 dollars last time I looked.

patrick

Roger Chandler
08-24-2010, 9:29 PM
Great news, Roger!!! A vacuum chuck is probably next on my list - but, it shall be awhile.

John,

This Hold Fast system would be very easy for you to set up on your Delta 46-460, and if you have a compressor, you would find it faster than a pump system.

That being said, some prefer a pump system, but it would be hard to beat the chuck heads on the HF system, and they make extra seals for both the 3" and 6" heads, and spindle extenders for deep vessels and have a variety of adapters and what not for all kinds of configurations. I have also made a 4" chuck out of trex decking and a pvc coupler 2" to 4" that will work with it also.

I found it faster for me, and parts were easily adaptable to my 18x47 lathe.

Steve Vaughan
08-24-2010, 10:15 PM
I recently got the same system on sale from Hartville Tool...went ahead and bought the 6" system and ordered the 3" head extra. I've set it up (very easy) and played a bit with it but haven't used it in real bowl work. Love what I see so far though.

Roger Chandler
08-24-2010, 10:40 PM
I recently got the same system on sale from Hartville Tool...went ahead and bought the 6" system and ordered the 3" head extra. I've set it up (very easy) and played a bit with it but haven't used it in real bowl work. Love what I see so far though.

Steve,

When I used mine today for the first time, I was really pleased. I like things that perform as advertised or better, and this system really did well for me. I got the 3 inch head as well, and a spindle extender in case I wanted to do a deep style form.

I don't know what rpm speed they recommend as a high end limit, but I was almost at 1000, and with this particular bowl, I feel I could have gone to 1200 or so safely. but I don't know if that is recommended or not.

I think the 700-800 rpm is probably a good place to settle in on, but make sure you check the vacuum gauge reading........the less vacuum the more you need to keep a moderate speed.

I was able to turn off the tenon, and make a nice foot easier than I have ever been able to do in the past with cole jaws.

Good luck as you use it, and post a review here after you use it. Remember that wood is porous, and can loose vacuum, so if the vacuum gets low, try putting some shellac or sanding sealer, especially on end grain, and that will improve your vacuum by a good amount.

Steve Vaughan
08-24-2010, 10:50 PM
Roger, I'll do that, hopefully sooner than later...I've got tons of rough-turned bowls to play with.

John, I picked the system up, and the extra head for around $252 on sale. You might check that Hartville Tool website to see if it's still on there.

Bernie Weishapl
08-24-2010, 11:35 PM
Glad to hear it works well for you Roger.

Mark Hubl
08-24-2010, 11:42 PM
Congrats Roger. I picked up a Holdfast on ebay and have been quite happy with the performance. I power it with a pancake compressor and it works as advertised for the pieces that I do. Nice system for someone like me.