PDA

View Full Version : Is shellac too soft?

Carole Valentine
12-11-2004, 11:24 PM
As a finish for pens? I really like french polish, but I am wondering if it will hold up under constant handling and the warmth from the writer's hand.

Kenneth George
12-11-2004, 11:38 PM
It is the acid in the skin that gets the finish. I have tried about everything and have finally settled on Deft as a finial finish for my pens. A lot of people really like and use CA as a finial finish. To me the Deft is much easier and quicker. So far none of the pens that I have given out that I used Deft on are showing any signs of problems.

What I do is to sand to 600 grit, apply a Cellulose Sealer, buff with #0000 steel wool, apply and polish with EEE polish, buff with soft cloth, wipe a coat of Deft on and then rotate the lathe for a few seconds at a slow speed. Wipe off the deft and spin the lathe for 3 minutes on a high speed. While spinning I hit it with the steel wool again. I then take the mandrel off the lathe and buff the whole thing with Carnauba wax using a Beall buffer.

This is what I like to do, it may not be the best but I like the results.

Steven Wilson
12-11-2004, 11:58 PM
I use Deft or waxed shellac for a pen finish. I like the feel and look of shellac with a medium build (i.e. not a thick, high gloss finish). For more build I'll switch and use Deft (lacquer).