PDA

View Full Version : Beall after lacquer

bob svoboda
08-24-2010, 7:11 PM
Some time ago I tried my one and only attempt at buffing after applying several coats of lacquer. The surface of the piece just sort of 'gummed up' and I had to refinish it. I'm thinking I may not have let the lacquer cure long enough. Those of you with experience---how long is long enough? Thanks.

Curt Fuller
08-24-2010, 7:48 PM
I've done the same with the same results. I'm curious to see what others have to say about it. One thing I know for sure, I won't use the tripoli wheel again. I've been scared to try again, but I'm thinking if I do it will be with the wax wheel only.

John Hart
08-24-2010, 8:03 PM
I always wait until I can't smell it anymore. Then I wait a few more days. If there are any irregularities...such as embedded dust or whatever, I'll lightly buff by hand with 0000 steel wool. Then buff on the wheel. A little White Diamond lightly on the wheel is all I use.

I think I finished this one around the 9th or 10th of this month and just started buffing it last night. I just took a picture in the bathroom where I had some half-way decent light just now.

I was thinking about a paste wax...but not real sure what to do with it yet. But I didn't have any gumming up problems. It seemed cured enough.

I don't know if that helps at all. I'm not a real good buffer by any stretch of the imagination.

Joseph M Lary
08-24-2010, 8:25 PM
Had the same problem the bowls had been lacquered 1 1/2 months ago .I though I was putting too much presure on it .??? I did a duck call, used CA glue on it, sanded it 400 and buffed with white diamond came out sweet looking .:D

John Keeton
08-24-2010, 8:34 PM
I have triple buffed the same day with acceptable results, several times. But, then, I don't know any better!!:o:eek: I also buff at 600-700rpm, and gently.

David DeCristoforo
08-24-2010, 8:48 PM
Lacquer generally dries lightning quick. But it does not completely cure (harden) for up to several days depending on conditions. I have polished lacquer as JK said, the same day as the last coat was applied. But I have also ruined finishes by trying to polish it before it was hardened enough. I would say that if your finish "gummed up" when you tried to buff it out, it was not, for whatever reason, hardened enough. Remember, not all lacquers are the same and the makeup of the solvent (thinner) can vary also. It's not "carved in stone". Another thing that can affect this is how thick your coats are. If you have a fairly heavy buildup of material on the surface, it's going to take longer to cure.

Jack Mincey
08-24-2010, 9:47 PM
I am bad to rush buffing on a piece form time to time. I buff at a slower speed and apply very little pressure with very good success. Staying on one spot more than a second can be a problem as well, keep light pressure on the piece and keep it moving. Oh yea hold on to your piece very tight or it can become an UFO. And after it hits the floor it is hard to identify what it used to be for sure:D
Good Luck,
Jack

Steve Mawson
08-24-2010, 9:51 PM
At first I used too much pressure and speed. Heat will definitely make lacquer gum up and you generate a lot of heat if the speed is too fast and you use too much pressure. 7-1000 rpm seems to work for me and I use all the wheels but no white diamond on dark woods. Sometimes you can not see the difference with buffing but you can definitely feel the difference. I much prefer the feel of a buffed piece, its hard to describe but has a special feel.

Cathy Schaewe
08-24-2010, 10:09 PM
I've found that waiting about a week, with the piece in my (cool and relatively dry) basement, works fine, as long as I use low speeds - 700-900, and don't stay on one spot too long.

I could see how humidity (and temperature) of the piece while curing could make a real difference.

Jon Lanier
08-24-2010, 10:21 PM
Okay, I'll ask, Why lacquer over say... Wipe on Poly?

Dennis Ford
08-24-2010, 10:28 PM
"Okay, I'll ask, Why lacquer over say... Wipe on Poly?"

Lacquer drys faster and can be sanded if there is a problem. Poly is a much tougher finish but if there is a run or an insect stuck in the finish, it is more difficult to fix.

Bernie Weishapl
08-24-2010, 11:47 PM
When buffing lacquer or poly I wait until the finish is completely dry. I am like John if I can still smell it I don't buff it. I have never had poly or lacquer gum up when I let dry completely.

Mark Hubl
08-25-2010, 12:00 AM
Agree with the rest, wait until you can't smell it and then some more. I too am guilty too often of pushing it. Go gently, the laq does not need much help. If you burn it, (gum it up), it can be fixed with some sanding and another coat. That is the beauty of laq, a little easier to fix then poly.

If you don't want it super shiny, try using a horse hair shoe brush by hand. I use this method with nice results.

Leo Van Der Loo
08-25-2010, 2:11 AM
Have a fan blow over the piece, it will help harden faster, and polish at low speeds with soft wheels and no pressure, that should do if you wait long enough ;-))

Tony Kent
08-25-2010, 6:42 AM
Hello Bob,
I notice you are in WA state, I am over on the Key Peninsula (Gig Harbor), anyway I have noticed up here the humidity is higher than say CA where I am from so it might take longer for Lacquer and other finishes to dry and cure. I just used some tung oil on a small turning and it took a lot longer up here then in CA. A Fan as Leo suggested or waiting until there is less smell sounds like the ticket to me and will try that myself once I get some wood to turn. I am still getting tools, machines set up here. Let me know if fan/waiting works for you and I'll email you my results as well when I get something finished.
Take care for now,
Tony

Larry Pickering
08-25-2010, 10:41 AM
From an automotive standpoint, if I can indent the finish with thumb nail pressure, it's not cured. Heavy coats without ample flash times will trap solvents and can take months to fully cure.

bob svoboda
08-25-2010, 2:03 PM
Thanks for all the thoughtful replies. I can see some adjustment of my technique is in order and also maybe a touch more patience (I wasn't able to find THAT in the WC catalogue:D)
Tony, I'll email with my next result.