PDA

View Full Version : Old Drill Press

Rick Neighbors
08-24-2010, 7:02 PM
Just joined this forum. Neat site!

I had a drill press given to me a good while ago. On the way to bring it to me the chuck came out on the highway and was lost forever.

I assumed that it was junk, but after going to a real nice woodworking store in Fort Worth here while back, I have renewed hope. I did not know that they were just pressed in.

So, I am looking for the best place to find a chuck.

My unit is an old 1982 model Sunex Model SF-12. It has 12 speeds and, according to the plate on the front, a 5/8" chuck.

So, if any of you know where I can find a source for a new chuck, I might be able to revive this old drill press.

Thanks,
Rick Neighbors

PS - I also have a real real old hand crank drill press. I am told that it was for making wagon wheels back in the 1800's. Would like to do some research on it also. :)

Myk Rian
08-24-2010, 7:51 PM
Does the chuck go inside, or outside the quill?
Inside - it's probably a Morse taper MT-2 or MT-3
Outside - a Jacobs, possibly a JT-3
This is just a guess on my part, so don't nobody go a slammin me to the dirt.

Rick Neighbors
08-24-2010, 8:04 PM
It appears to go inside.

Thanks,

Rick

george wilson
08-24-2010, 8:05 PM
A common male taper is also a #33 Jacobs,at least for 1/2" chucks.

george wilson
08-24-2010, 8:07 PM
What is the diameter of the hole where it comes out of the spindle so you can measure it? Knowing this diameter will help determine if it is a #2 Morse,or a #3 Morse. Unless it is a real oddball,it is most likely a Morse taper. I doubt that it could be a #4,and it is too big to be a #1,since you wouldn't put a 5/8" chuck on a real small taper.

Myk Rian
08-24-2010, 8:17 PM
Morse taper dimensions
http://www.woodturners.org/tech_tips/morse_taper_sizes.htm