PDA

View Full Version : Chisel update

John Miliunas
12-11-2004, 10:10 PM
After receiving some awesome help here on the forum, as well as some private emails and such, I pulled the trigger on the Hirsch set from LV. From everything I was able to track down, they're the same as both, the TC and the ECE sets, albeit I didn't get the wooden case. That's OK. For at least a $30.00 difference, I'll make my own storage for them! :D The general picture below shows the contents of today's Fed Ex visit: The 6-piece set of Hirsch, a 3mm LV Japanese chisel, two of their "economy" skew chisels and their cabinet hammer. :)

I've not done a whole lot with any of them, as of yet, but thanks to Steve Wargo's bit of info, I was able to confirm the lacquer part of it. Shown is also a picture of one of the chisels where I took some gray 3M pad and lacquer thinner and cleaned up some of the lacquer at the business end of the blade. You can see quite clearly in the pics where I stopped cleaning! I just took the same one and ran the back of it on the MK II and if the rest are as flat on the back, I'll be a real happy camper! Barely touched it and she was perfect! :D Can't say the same for the skew chisels. Actually, the backs aren't too bad, but the bevel is horrible and one even has a chip you can easily see by eye. Again, not a real big deal. Less than 5 min. on the sharpener and all was good with the World again! I'll try to post more on them once I get them all tuned and get some chips under them. So far, me thinks I did OK! So, are we there yet?! :D :cool:

Terry Hatfield
12-11-2004, 10:15 PM
John,

Ooohhhh...them sure are purdy!!

t

John Miliunas
12-11-2004, 11:11 PM
Thanks Terry. Buying the stuff is the easy part; NOW, I have to learn how to use all these cordless wonders I've been gathering! :eek: :) :cool:

Terry Hatfield
12-12-2004, 12:54 AM
Thanks Terry. Buying the stuff is the easy part; NOW, I have to learn how to use all these cordless wonders I've been gathering! :eek: :) :cool:

John,

Me too!!!! The mail lady, UPS and FedEX dudes are wearing out my driveway. I got more planes coming than American Airlines. :D \

t

Mark Singer
12-12-2004, 2:14 AM
John,

Real nice! That is a fine set and at a great price.

Tyler Howell
12-12-2004, 5:07 AM
What can I say!:D

Louis Bois
12-12-2004, 6:52 AM
There was a young John,
Who swallowed a fly...
I don't know why
He swallowed a fly...
:D:D:D

John,

If you keep this up, you'll have acquired more hand tools in one year than I have in 10!!!! What's next?!? A new Hoochie-Koochie dovetail saw?!? A panel-raiser? or...heaven forbid...A COMBINATION PLANE?!?:eek:

Jack Hogoboom
12-12-2004, 9:00 PM
John,

You lucky dog. How do you get away with this two weeks before Xmas?? :confused: I guess now would be a bad time to talk about tool budgets.... :rolleyes:

I am going to the Edison woodoworking show on Friday. thinking about the Lie-Nielsen chisels....

Enjoy.

Jack

John Miliunas
12-12-2004, 9:26 PM
John,

You lucky dog. How do you get away with this two weeks before Xmas?? :confused: I guess now would be a bad time to talk about tool budgets.... :rolleyes:

I am going to the Edison woodoworking show on Friday. thinking about the Lie-Nielsen chisels....

Enjoy.

Jack

Yeah Jack, I guess I'm lucky. Tool budgets? LOML is real good about it and, seeing as to how we're primarily living on my income, she doesn't yell too loud. Besides, she reaps many of the benefits.

I considered the LN's, but at this stage of my Neander ways, just couldn't quite justify it. I figure if I get good at it, a guy can always use a set to "kick around" and then the Hirsch may get relegated to that. For now, they're the Caddy's in my stable! :) Good luck on Friday! :cool:

Herb Blair
12-13-2004, 6:52 AM
Nice haul John,
I'll be interested in hearing what you think about them after chopping a few hundred dovetails with them.