PDA

View Full Version : Mahogany Ply Question

Maurice Ungaro
08-24-2010, 9:42 AM
I'm considering using mahogany faced ply, framed with hardwood, for a table top. My wife is concerned that the ply may delaminate and wrinkle if someone doesn't use a coaster for a water glass. Should this be of any concern, or will a good finish take care of it?

Prashun Patel
08-24-2010, 10:39 AM
Wrinkling won't be a problem. The plywood will hold up fine if properly finished, and properly edge banded.

The bigger issue will be color matching the mahogany ply to the hardwood you use. I made a bench out of 'mahogany' plywood that was actually sapelle veneered. It did not match any of the hardwood that the dealer had in stock.

If you want a good match, be prepared to dye the hardwood.

In my experience, two layers of 3/4" mahogany ply will likely be as or more expensive as its equivalent in harwood strips; I'd make it out of solid lumber.

Jeff Monson
08-24-2010, 11:34 AM
I used mohagony plywood and solid mohagony for the frame on a desk I built for my wife. I used a potassium dicromate to darken the wood, then blo, you cannot tell the difference from the ply to the solid wood. I used several coats of laquer for my finish coat and it is holding up like the day I finished it.

Maurice Ungaro
08-24-2010, 12:52 PM
Thanks guys. I thought it would be fine,wear wise. As for the color match, I am thinking of designing a Greene & Greene inspired dining table, and might want a contrasting frame around the edge. Right now, it's all in my head, and not even on paper.

I'll check prices on the ply, but we have a local producer of exotic plys, and the owner told me that I could buy a piece if I ever needed. That being said, cost is always the consideration.

Roger Jensen
08-24-2010, 1:04 PM
The veeneer is thin and it won't take much of a dent or hit to break through. I agree matching the hardwood for edges will be easier said than done.

Bill Leonard
08-25-2010, 7:49 AM
[
but we have a local producer of exotic plys[/QUOTE]

Maurice,
Who locally, Beaufort,SC, produces exotic ply??
I have not been sucessful in tracking down a decent wood supplier outside of Savannah or Charleston.

Maurice Ungaro
08-25-2010, 9:47 AM
Bill,
It's Greenline, located on Hwy 21 north of MCAS Beaufort. BTW, where did you settle in Beaufort?

Bill Leonard
08-26-2010, 8:23 AM
Bill,
It's Greenline, located on Hwy 21 north of MCAS Beaufort. BTW, where did you settle in Beaufort?
We built on 5 acres on the Whale Branch just north of MCAS. Brought my lovely wife home after traveling the world for 40+ years. We couldn't be happier.