PDA

View Full Version : Bosch JS470E

John Fieldstadt
08-24-2010, 7:51 AM
Hi. Does anyone have any thoughts on the new Bosch JS470E jig saw that is replacing the 1590 EVSK? I was all set to get the 1590 based on countless stellar reviews but now I see that this is coming out and I'm wondering if I should wait. Are new Bosch products typically nothing but improvements or have there been cases of cost savings that resulting in new product failures resulting in the need for reworks or recalls?

Thanks for any and all input!

John

glenn bradley
08-24-2010, 9:29 AM
There's a little more plastic than metal but, the weight only went down a tenth of a pound so I don't think they cut strength anywhere. I notice they've added vents around the motor housing as there are some folks who work these long enough at a stretch to where the 1590/91 metal housing got hot. Maybe that is one of the improvements. Most other stats appear about the same so I hope it is an enhanced/improved model. Test one out for us and write a review(?).

John Fieldstadt
08-24-2010, 11:27 AM
I might just have to do that! :)

Van Huskey
08-24-2010, 1:48 PM
This is one of the tools I hope to see at IWF, I do not think Bosch will have a booth there but maybe one of their vendors will. Interested in looking at their new CSMS and new mid-sized router as well.

Mike Goetzke
08-24-2010, 8:08 PM
This is one of the tools I hope to see at IWF, I do not think Bosch will have a booth there but maybe one of their vendors will. Interested in looking at their new CSMS and new mid-sized router as well.

I would be interested to hear about their new 15amp multi-based router too:
MRC23EVSK (http://www.ohiopowertool.com/P-773-bosch-23-hp-modular-plunge-fixed-base-router-combo-mrc23evsk.aspx?CAWELAID=548166288)

george wilson
08-24-2010, 8:11 PM
Probably is a variable speed model,with EVSK. Don't know what the K would mean. EVS is usually electronic variable speed.

Van Huskey
08-24-2010, 8:20 PM
MRC23EVSK (http://www.ohiopowertool.com/P-773-bosch-23-hp-modular-plunge-fixed-base-router-combo-mrc23evsk.aspx?CAWELAID=548166288)

Thats the one I want to see, I want to get a feel for whether I want to pay for it or grab a 1617 or two if/when the price drops when it is discontinued, I am assuming it will be.

Paul McGaha
08-24-2010, 8:36 PM
A guess but maybe K for Kit?

PHM

Curt Harms
08-25-2010, 8:33 AM

This router uses low voltage controls with the controls in the handle(s) and the cord to the motor. The motor has brass strips and the bases have contacts that ride on the brass strips. This is a slick idea if it's reliable. Each base can have its own controls and the user doesn't have to reach or take one hand off the handles. The controls can be pretty light and compact seeing as they only carry low voltage and amperage. It'll be interesting to see how they hold up. Having a router starting and stopping intermittently would be .... disconcerting :eek:.

Mike Goetzke
08-25-2010, 8:59 AM
Thats the one I want to see, I want to get a feel for whether I want to pay for it or grab a 1617 or two if/when the price drops when it is discontinued, I am assuming it will be.

This won best tool in the current Wood magazine. It's supposed to have a higher power rating (15A vs 13A) than the 1617 - that's why I'm interested to hear about it.

Mike

( and it is available as a fixed base, plunge, or kit with both)