PDA

View Full Version : Laser personalized box

George Beck
08-24-2010, 7:02 AM
Hi all

I have not been here for quite some time. It's been busy. Here is a little box I made for a pet cremation urn. This is sort of what I am trying to do, incorporate tradional woodworking with laser personalization. I use the laser as a woodworking tool. I find the laser is great at producing templates to help lay out the work as well. Anyway, here is a little box. Thanks for looking.

George

Mike Null
08-24-2010, 7:20 AM
George

That's beautiful woodworking.

Tom Bull
08-24-2010, 9:53 AM
Very, very nice. We do a lot of pet memorials and know how much folks love their critters. Is that poem yours? I think it is very apt.

Frank Corker
08-24-2010, 10:23 AM
Lovely work George, fitting finish for a good friend.

Dee Gallo
08-24-2010, 10:36 AM
That is a touching poem, George, and a beautiful box. I especially like the arc creating the feet.

cheers, dee

Mike Chance in Iowa
08-24-2010, 12:54 PM
Great woodworking George. Very nice design.

The poem is a well-known funeral poem used when it is the death of a spouse. I have never seen an author's name credited.

Robert L Stewart
08-24-2010, 12:55 PM
Awesome work George,

I love the small mitre splines on the lid. It is amazing how long it takes to make a small treasure like this. The client will cherish this for many years.

Wonderful poem.

Robert

George Beck
08-24-2010, 1:31 PM
Thanks for looking everyone. The funny thing is, I don't really make pet urns or least do not advertise such. I made some award boxes and this client say my work and ask me to make it. I felt I was trying to put them off ("I won't be able to start for a month", "It takes 4 weeks", etc.). But, reluctantly, I submitted a quote and a few sketches. Then one day I received a check for half of the quote as a deposit and the instructions to take as long as I needed. They just wanted a special box and wanted it made by me. (Pressure!)
The poem actually came to me from another client who wanted a plaque. I have seen it on many memorial stones.
Thanks Dee! I like the legs too. I took about 4 shoots at the design of the legs and the top profile, even cutting out paper templates of various curves and placing them on the wood. I then go through "Thats too round" or "too heavy" until I find a shape that pleases me. James Krenov called this process "Composing". I never really start with a set plan, just a rough idea.
Anyway, thanks for looking at my work.
George

Paul Brinkmeyer
08-24-2010, 2:07 PM
Looks really good.

One question, is that a working lock or just for looks.
I think it adds a lot to the box.

Thanks

George Beck
08-24-2010, 2:42 PM
Paul

It is a full morticed lock. I think the plate is intended to just lay on the outside but I thought it looked better inset. The trouble with the full morticed locks, is you can not cut through with a keyhole or coping saw. I drilled the hole and then used a little rasp(a rifler) and then a tiny file.

Mark Ross
08-25-2010, 9:23 AM
I like the poetry of Lord Byron. There are many threads about famous last words, like "Either those curtains go or I do" (Oscar Wilde).

What Lord Byron wrote on a grave marker is priceless...

Near this spot
are deposited the remains of one
who possessed Beauty without Vanity,
Strength without Insolence,
Courage without Ferocity,
and all the Virtues of Man without his Vices.
This praise, which would be unmeaning Flattery,
if inscribed over human Ashes,
is but a just Tribute to the memory of
Boatswain, a DOG
who was born in Newfoundland, May 1803,
and died at Newstead, Nov 18, 1808.