PDA

View Full Version : Question on circular saw

Matt Logana
08-23-2010, 11:30 PM
I was wondering if any of you have had experience with the Sears Evolution Evo Rage?(

I think I want to get a circular saw for my next project(not the saw... making a workbench/Assembly area is the project...) Since I currently have no means of crosscutting lumber or sizing plywood, besides running it through the bandsaw which is a hairy, and not very accurate process... as well as the jigsaw... but that takes forever...

I like the dust port on the saw, since that would enable me to rig a shopvac to it, to make things a little less messy(versus the square port on a regular circular saw.)

But the concerning factors are that its a multi-material saw, meaning it can cut wood, plastic, and metal... thus having a lower RPM rating than say, a DeWalt(its lower than the DW by almost 2k RPM.)

Thanks

Matt

Rich Engelhardt
08-24-2010, 6:39 AM
I have no experience w/that particular saw.
I do have an Evo compressor though.

Evolution and Champion are Sear's lower end (under Craftsman).

My experience with Craftsman power tools is that it's hard to imagine anything lower end...however...

Like I said, I bought an Evo compressor and it seems to run fine.
Under powered - but - it runs fine, is quiet and has nice controls.

BTW - did you check out the specs?
That saw is rated @ 18 amps.
You'll have to use a 20 amp circut or spend most of your time resetting a breaker.

Also, while the saw is a 10 inch, the lone reviewer comments that it has a non 3/8" arbor.
Not having seen one, I also wonder if it uses a plastic blade like the Fury?

Will Overton
08-24-2010, 7:59 AM
Evolution is not a Sears brand, although they do sell it and have their label affixed to some of the products. They are sold through a number of outlets worldwide, including Ace Hardware and Amazon, you can also buy direct. They have a homeowner line (green) and a pro line (orange).

The 7 1/4" circular saw has a 20mm arbor, which is the same size as Festool and DeWalt use on their plunge saws. The motor is rated at 1050 watts, so will easily run on a 15 amp circuit.

The lower speed 'may' affect the quality of the cut. For that reason, unless you need a multi-purpose saw, you may want to reconsider this purchase.

However, before doing anything, why not bring these concerns to the manufacturer and see what they have to say?

http://www.evolutionpowertools.com/

Matt Logana
08-24-2010, 6:09 PM
I left them an email, but they arent getting back to me.

Any other opinnions?

Van Huskey
08-24-2010, 6:13 PM
What is the reasoning behind that particular saw do you need/want a multi-purpose saw. If not there are a lot of excellent CS out there with proven track record.

Matt Logana
08-24-2010, 9:05 PM
The main reason is the dust port... I try to hook the shop vac up to everything I can.... and that is the only one, besides Festool, that has a round port.. That I have seen.

I also like the look of it(handle placement, large guard lip, et cetera)

John M Wilson
08-24-2010, 10:17 PM
If the dust port is important to you, as Yoda said "There is another..."

The PC 423 Mag has a dust port. Amazon says:
Featuring an ultra-powerful 15 Amp, 5,800 RPM motor, the Porter-Cable 423MAG delivers precise, straight, and accurate cuts quickly and efficiently. An on-board cord clip makes sure the power cord stays clear of your cutting line, and a built-in dust port rotates 205 degrees for dependable dust collection with a 1-inch outlet. Durable and built to last, the 423MAG boasts lightweight magnesium construction, has a comfortable-to-hold handle, and offers a positive stop at 45 degrees.

I own this saw, and I love it. Granted, I did buy this before PC sold out to Beelzebub, but I have had great success with it. Sometimes, when I am cutting up sheet goods, I will hook up the dust port to my shop vac with an adapter. It doesn't eliminate dust by any means, but it does reduce the clean-up a little. Most of the time, I just cut first, clean up later, since most of the sawdust comes out the bottom anyway.

More research may turn up more saws with this option, but I thought you may want to know that Sears did not have the dust port market cornered.

Good luck!

Don Alexander
08-24-2010, 10:26 PM
dust port on a CS is mostly a gimmick in my experience if you want a top quality saw that will last you a very long time i recommend Milwaukee been using them for many years and they will remind you of the old Timex commercial " it takes a licking and keeps on ticking"

they come with a flexible 9' cord so you don't get the plug caught when cutting the length of a sheet of plywood

Will Overton
08-24-2010, 10:39 PM
I left them an email, but they arent getting back to me.

Any other opinnions?

You just sent the email today? Learn to be patient.:D

If dust collection is the most important thing, both the Festool and DeWalt plunge saws are excellent.

Rich Engelhardt
08-25-2010, 5:00 AM
The motor is rated at 1050 watts, so will easily run on a 15 amp circuit.

Yep - my bad.
I was looking at the specs for the Rage 3 - which is 2000W (18amps).

Curt Harms
08-25-2010, 7:36 AM
Does anyone have a saw with the Eurekazone dust port? Does it work? That could be used with most saw, it looks like. 159435. There's a clear plastic fitting that goes with it, I think. It appears P-C no longer makes a right blade equivalent of the 423 Mag with integral dust port.http://eurekazone.com/content/ez-dust-port

Garth Keel
08-25-2010, 8:40 AM
I have a cs set up with EZ port and it works well. I then added the plastic shield on the lower front side and it works very, very well. There are instructions on installing the port (use a belt sander to rough cut the hole) and they are very clear. An inexpensive way to have excellent dust control with a cs.

Matt Logana
08-25-2010, 12:42 PM
Hmm maybe Ill end up doing that... just get a cheapo one instead...

Matt Logana
08-25-2010, 12:44 PM
I just checked my email, and realized I had gotten an email back:
.ExternalClass p.ecxMsoNormal, .ExternalClass li.ecxMsoNormal, .ExternalClass div.ecxMsoNormal{margin-bottom:.0001pt;font-size:12.0pt;font-family:'Times New Roman';}.ExternalClass a:link, .ExternalClass span.ecxMsoHyperlink{color:blue;text-decoration:underline;}.ExternalClass a:visited, .ExternalClass span.ecxMsoHyperlinkFollowed{color:purple;text-decoration:underline;}.ExternalClass span.ecxEmailStyle17{font-family:Arial;color:windowtext;}@page Section1{size:8.5in 11.0in;}.ExternalClass div.ecxSection1{page:Section1;}
Matt,

Thank-you for your interest in Evolution Power Tools, from what I read on all your concerns you will not have any problems with our Rage saw. I believe you will get a cleanness cut on all you wood pieces. We believe in the low RPM & high Toque to get a great cut out of every piece, weather its steel or wood. I do recommend if you will be doing a lot of wood cutting that you use our wood blade. I would like to get you in touch with a local dealer in your area but what I need is a Zip Code or an Area code. Please feel free to contact me with any questions.

Thank-you,

John Duke
Territory Sales Manager
Evolution Power Tools
8363 Research Drive
Davenport, IA 52806
Toll Free: 866-386-8665
Fax: 563-386-8010
johnd@hitechevolution.us
www.evolutionpowertools.com (http://www.evolutionpowertools.com/)