PDA

View Full Version : Looking at buying a Versa Laser 3.60, thoughts?

Nick Christensen
08-23-2010, 10:44 PM
Hello all,

I am very new to laser engraving. When I say very new I mean I have had an hour demo, but we need to buy something for our business to brand our (wooden) toys. I have CNC experience but not laser experience. I have been looking at the Universal VersaLaser 3.60. Any thoughts on this? I looked at the epilog online but the closest dealer was three states away. But there is a Universal dealer just in the next town. Anyway What are your thoughts? Anyone have experience with this machine? Thanks

Nick Christensen

paul mott
08-24-2010, 2:19 AM
It doesn't make commercial sense to purchase a laser just to brand your existing product. However, when you consider the new products and enhancements to existing products that a laser will enable you to do then that's an entirely different story.
If you have plenty of new ideas which would be suited to laser work then go for the best you can afford ;) and good fortune with your new venture.

Paul.

Zvi Grinberg
08-24-2010, 3:43 AM
Disclaimer 1 - I am a Universal Laser Distributor.
Disclaimer 2 - I work in Israel, therefore I gain nothing for assisting here.

If you need a laser, you cannot go wrong buying Universal. End of sales pitch.

If the question is about the particular model (VLS3.50), I would check and consider VLS4.60 (larger area) and VLS3.50 (same area but desktop, not platform).

Your local dealer should be helpfull to consult, provide the price differences and other options. I would also look at different laser power options.

Hope it helps.

Zvi

Nick Christensen
08-24-2010, 11:16 AM
It is true that in a normal sense it would not make commercial sense, unfortunately because of the the new laws governing the sale of childrens' products in the US I am required to brand my products with my brand, location and a lot number. But when has government interference made commercial sense to anyone who is not a multi billion dollar company? There are of course a number of other advantages that having a laser would bring, mainly customization and development of other products of course.

Nick Christensen
08-24-2010, 11:20 AM
Thanks for the advice, I think that the 3.6 is just right for us. One reason is that the largest capacity of our cnc is 12"x19.2" so the 3.60 is just right, I looked at the desktop systems but the price was only $300 more for the 3.6 and I liked the features of that better. Mainly the ease of maintenance, upgrade-ability and the overall durability of the system. But thanks for the advice

Dan Hintz
08-24-2010, 11:34 AM
Nick,

Have you considered a fire brand instead of the laser? You'll need a slotted system to swap out numbers for the different lots, but you could have one iron for your company logo and a second for the lot number (hopefully that won't change a lot, maybe a few times a day?).

A lot cheaper than a laser!

Larry Bratton
08-24-2010, 11:39 AM
Nick,

Have you considered a fire brand instead of the laser? You'll need a slotted system to swap out numbers for the different lots, but you could have one iron for your company logo and a second for the lot number (hopefully that won't change a lot, maybe a few times a day?).

A lot cheaper than a laser!
Hey Dan..the man wants a laser..don't be throwing cold water on it, his wife might find out about fire branding being cheaper :)

Ed Mihalack
08-24-2010, 12:07 PM
Their Tech Support is outstanding. That in itself is worth purchasing from Universal. I have no connection to the company, other than the fact that I own one of their machines.

Nick Christensen
08-24-2010, 12:10 PM
*This is his wife*

Nick left this forum up, how appropriate I should choose to peruse. I definitely know the costs, I run the business!

The problems with fire brand include size and time constraints. We are also looking forward to quite a few new product options with a laser.

Thanks for your help everyone! I think Nick knows what he wants, he just wants -more- justification for spending the money.

Dan Hintz
08-24-2010, 12:24 PM
Nick's wife,

Is a small part of the toy marked, or is it some large portion? If it's small and easily transportable/shipped, it may make sense to have a local laser guy do the work.

paul mott
08-24-2010, 12:25 PM
Looks like a very understanding wife you have there Nick.
Take my advice and order the deluxe model now, before she changes her mind :D

Paul.

Scott Shepherd
08-24-2010, 12:53 PM
I've been using our ULS for going on 3 years now, I think. It's been outstanding. I have used tech support several times, but none for reasons that stopped production, just things I encountered after driver updates, etc.

My machine runs and runs and runs (knock on wood). I haven't had to pay to have anything replaced yet.

ULS is a first class company that seldom gets their credit on this forum, but I'll be first in line to say that are outstanding machines backed by an outstanding company.

Michael Hunter
08-24-2010, 1:24 PM
You don't say what power machine you are considering.

Although low-powered lasers will mark wood perfectly well (and only a bit slower), if you ever wanted to cut wood it is a different matter.

It seems (from reports on this forum) that those with 30-40W machines can cut 1/8" (3mm) wood cleanly, but that above that thickness they have problems with charred edges etc.
My 60W cuts up to about 1/4" (6mm) very well, but by 3/8" (9-10mm) it generates a sooty mess.
I haven't had the chance to try, but I suspect that 100-120W would allow clean cutting to at least 3/8" and maybe 1/2" : at these sort of thicknesses the laser begins to be a useful woodworking tool.

PS I have an Epilog, but very nearly bought a ULS - it was only the price that swayed it.

Paul Brinkmeyer
08-24-2010, 2:02 PM
One important detail is missing.

Location, Location, location. Not all dealers are created equally.

Nick Christensen
08-24-2010, 2:58 PM
Nick's wife,

Is a small part of the toy marked, or is it some large portion? If it's small and easily transportable/shipped, it may make sense to have a local laser guy do the work.

It is small and easily transportable, but we are going to be doing thousands of units a month. Much more economical for us to purchase over the long run

Nick Christensen
08-24-2010, 3:02 PM
You don't say what power machine you are considering.

Although low-powered lasers will mark wood perfectly well (and only a bit slower), if you ever wanted to cut wood it is a different matter.

It seems (from reports on this forum) that those with 30-40W machines can cut 1/8" (3mm) wood cleanly, but that above that thickness they have problems with charred edges etc.
My 60W cuts up to about 1/4" (6mm) very well, but by 3/8" (9-10mm) it generates a sooty mess.
I haven't had the chance to try, but I suspect that 100-120W would allow clean cutting to at least 3/8" and maybe 1/2" : at these sort of thicknesses the laser begins to be a useful woodworking tool.

PS I have an Epilog, but very nearly bought a ULS - it was only the price that swayed it.

This information is very helpful, we were wondering this information. I am looking at a 25 watt system initially but we can upgrade if we need to with the 3.60. It may do some cutting of very thin material but mostly marking. I have a CNC to do the bulk of cutting.

Nick Christensen
08-24-2010, 3:06 PM
One important detail is missing.

Location, Location, location. Not all dealers are created equally.

We are in Boise, ID

Viktor Voroncov
08-24-2010, 3:22 PM
Nick - look on GCC also. Equipment is good - trust me, but of course I can't say anything about local dealers

Larry Bratton
08-24-2010, 3:51 PM
Nick's wife:
No offense intended. Hope non taken. You will love the laser.

Joe De Medeiros
08-24-2010, 4:04 PM
This information is very helpful, we were wondering this information. I am looking at a 25 watt system initially but we can upgrade if we need to with the 3.60. It may do some cutting of very thin material but mostly marking. I have a CNC to do the bulk of cutting.

Nick I do mostly marking as well, and the more power you have the faster you can go. I would get at least a 40/45 watt, upgrading later will cost you more money than upgrading the machine when buying.

examples from the Epilog manual for hard wood engraving
a 30 watt machine speed 50 power 100
a 40 watt machine speed 60 power 100
a 50 watt machine speed 70 power 100

You can see as the wattage goes up, you can increase the speed that the machine runs at, if you do a lot of pieces it will save you time, right now it takes my machine (40watts) 1 hour to engrave 12x24 full piece of wood. Ideally you want the motion system to run as fast as possible, only you can decide what your budget can afford.

Mike Mackenzie
08-24-2010, 6:35 PM
Nick,

If you are working with Ron Blake you can't go wrong. He is very knowledgeable with the equipment.

Mike Ireland
08-24-2010, 7:01 PM
The Rep for Boise is based in Nampa, ID - Ron Blake who has been with the company many years and knows his stuff!

Nick Christensen
08-24-2010, 7:43 PM
The Rep for Boise is based in Nampa, ID - Ron Blake who has been with the company many years and knows his stuff!

Yes that is who I have been talking to. My wife and I are going over there tomorrow to talk to him again and firm things up a little bit more. Ron is really great and I can tell has lots of knowlege. Thanks for the tip though

Rodne Gold
08-24-2010, 11:44 PM
I recon a laser is just what you need looking at your products.
One thing tho , check the time it takes to mark one object and then work out what you can conservatively do a day with a full time operator - make sure it fits in with your many 1000's output - if you are marginal in this respect , you might consider a galvo machine which will be a lot faster.

Mike Null
08-25-2010, 7:20 AM
I think Dan was on to something. Take a hard look at hot stamping before spending all this money on a laser. If hot stamping won't do then try Dan's idea of a branding iron (electric).

(I didn't see your products.)

Rodne Gold
08-25-2010, 9:08 AM
I think a reference to his site will help this thread
google : little sapling toys
IMO a laser will do real nice stuff on his products and provide a tactile non toxic mark or texture etc - woud be great for customisation/personalisation and developing new markets if there is someone creative at the helm.

Nick Christensen
08-25-2010, 9:40 AM
I think Dan was on to something. Take a hard look at hot stamping before spending all this money on a laser. If hot stamping won't do then try Dan's idea of a branding iron (electric).

(I didn't see your products.)
We did look heavily into branding Irons and stamping and we found that it just wasn't going to meet our needs.

Nick Christensen
08-25-2010, 9:41 AM
I think a reference to his site will help this thread
google : little sapling toys
IMO a laser will do real nice stuff on his products and provide a tactile non toxic mark or texture etc - woud be great for customisation/personalisation and developing new markets if there is someone creative at the helm.

I was thinking that customization would be a great avenue as well.

Nick Christensen
08-28-2010, 5:47 PM
Hello all,

I am very new to laser engraving. When I say very new I mean I have had an hour demo, but we need to buy something for our business to brand our (wooden) toys. I have CNC experience but not laser experience. I have been looking at the Universal VersaLaser 3.60. Any thoughts on this? I looked at the epilog online but the closest dealer was three states away. But there is a Universal dealer just in the next town. Anyway What are your thoughts? Anyone have experience with this machine? Thanks

Nick Christensen

We ordered a 40W system yesterday, blue in color if you were wondering. You are going to be hearing a lot from me now ha ha ha ha! Thanks for all of the thoughts.

Nick

Nick Michalares
12-13-2012, 3:51 PM
I assume you are dealing with Steve Rasmussen from Dynacomp. I have known Steve for about 30 years and you could not do better for a representative. He truly cares about his customers. I think it is a pretty good product and ULS is pretty good on customer support.

Good Luck

Dan Hintz
12-13-2012, 4:09 PM
2.5 year old thread warning...

Nick Michalares
12-13-2012, 5:12 PM
Doh . . .

thanx

been awhile