PDA

View Full Version : Let's talk cheap nailers.

Myk Rian
08-23-2010, 9:33 PM
So as not to hijack the other thread on nailers, I'll start this thread.
I need a framing nailer to build a shed, and maybe a few small projects around the house/shop. I don't want to spend $200 for a Pro nailer I won't use as a pro. I have a compressor that will handle anything.

I'm looking at 2 right now to shoot .131 round head nails.
I've read reviews on both of them, and so far, both look acceptable.

Grizzly 21º H7665
$99 at Amazon
http://www.amazon.com/Grizzly-H7665-Round-Framing-Nailer/dp/B000E34BU8/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1282612021&sr=8-4
Will shoot Hitachi nails.

HF 28º
$75 right now.
http://www.harborfreight.com/28-framing-nailer-98917.html
Shoots Bostitch nails.

OK all. Trash 1 or both of them, or convince me to buy one, or something else.

Greg Book
08-23-2010, 9:56 PM
I don't have any experience with framing nailers from those places, but I did get a brad/staple nailer from Harbor Freight. I was worried about the potential for disaster from an exploding nailgun considering the quality of their other tools. However, for $19 I got an excellent nailgun. Everything worked fine, and I was able to install carpet on a set of stairs. If I needed to do framing or roofing, I would consider one of those cheap nailguns.

Terry Coleman
08-23-2010, 10:00 PM
I have the Harbor Freight 28º nailer and have built 7 or 8 sheds with it now and used it for other projects around the house, loaned it to others and it never skipped a beat. I think I have around 5000-7500 nails through it. I also buy Bostitch nails at the Depot. I don't care for the HF nails.

Terry

So as not to hijack the other thread on nailers, I'll start this thread.
I need a framing nailer to build a shed, and maybe a few small projects around the house/shop. I don't want to spend $200 for a Pro nailer I won't use as a pro. I have a compressor that will handle anything.

I'm looking at 2 right now to shoot .131 round head nails.
I've read reviews on both of them, and so far, both look acceptable.

Grizzly 21º H7665
$99 at Amazon
http://www.amazon.com/Grizzly-H7665-Round-Framing-Nailer/dp/B000E34BU8/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1282612021&sr=8-4
Will shoot Hitachi nails.

HF 28º
$75 right now.
http://www.harborfreight.com/28-framing-nailer-98917.html
Shoots Bostitch nails.

OK all. Trash 1 or both of them, or convince me to buy one, or something else.

John M Wilson
08-23-2010, 10:04 PM
I realize it's not the same tool, but here's a review of a HF nailer by a fellow creeker that stuck in my memory:

http://www.newwoodworker.com/reviews/hfbrdstplrrvu.html

Not the same as a review of the tool in question, but an interesting data point, nonetheless...

Good luck!

Will Overton
08-23-2010, 10:13 PM
I need a framing nailer to build a shed, and maybe a few small projects around the house/shop.

For a single shed and maybe a few small projects, all you need is a hammer. Is everone today afraid to do even a little bit of work using elbow grease? :rolleyes:

Don Jarvie
08-23-2010, 10:18 PM
If your not in a hurry subscribe to Tool of the day.com. They have Dewalt reconditioned framing nailers around 120 bucks every now and then.

I bought a recon Bostich 15g angled finish nailer for 80 bucks. Thing works great.

Rich Engelhardt
08-24-2010, 1:36 AM
I bought a HF 28* nailer,it jammed after about a dozen nails. When it did work, it needed every bit of 125 psi to drive the nails flush.
To clear the jam, the directions wanted me to use the supplied allen wrenches to disassemble the nose.
The allen screws were in so tight, I bent one wrench trying in vain to loosen them.

I ran to Lowes and picked up a Bostitch for $269.00 w/a free palm nailer.
I love the Bostitch.

(FWIW - the HF 6 in one framing nailer gets great reviews. The 29* one gets real mixed reviews.)

For small projects, you might want to consider a palm nailer. I find mine extremely handy. Being able to use any nail in it is an added plus.

Curt Harms
08-24-2010, 9:25 AM
not the 28 degree clipped head nailer. I bought one to try. My experience was like Rich's, it takes high air pressure. My compressors kick out at 125 psi and kick on around 90-100. 90-100 didn't seem like enough. It'd drive 3 1/2" nails flush when used flat but left toenailed nails sticking out about 1/2". It also sparked on every nail. I took it back. The Grizzly gun mentioned gets pretty good reviews on Amazon but looks like a twin of the Harbor Freight 21 degree gun so I'm skeptical about that one as well. If I buy another framing gun I think it'll be from Reconditioned Sales. They sell new and recon Hitachi and Hitachi guns seem to get positive reviews. http://www.reconditionedsales.com/Framing_Nailers___c340.aspx

Dave Houseal
08-24-2010, 9:57 AM
I had a few projects big projects when I went looking for a framing nailer. I wanted something good and reliable, but didn't want to spend big money.

I settled on the RIDGID 3 1/2 In. Round Head Framing Nailer (http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1vZ1xhw/R-100348524/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053)

It's been awesome. It drives a consistent depth (which is adjustable btw...very handy) and rarely ever jams. Comes with a great warranty and will drive the .162" nails. Most only go to .148".

I have the HF Brad/Staple gun and was disappointed. It works, but depth is inconsistent and it takes a lot of pressure to drive the bigger fasteners. No depth adjustment is a pain. The other thing is you have to REALLY put pressure on that gun for it to sink a fastener. So much so that the plunger usually leaves a dent. I don't use it that much and some day I'll replace it. I have no experience with their framer though.

Derrell W Sloan
08-24-2010, 10:15 AM
I have several nail guns from HF, 23g pin nailer, roofing nail gun, staple gun. They all work so well that I can't justify spending more than what I could get them for at HF. One great thing about the HF I go to is that I have never had any issue returning items. So I'd say give HF a try, if you don't like what you got take it back (assuming you have HF store near you). My experience with HF has been that most of the air tools have been pretty good - but I shy away from anything with a power cord attached to it. Also, my local Craigs list always seems to have nail guns listed.

Dennis Lopeman
08-24-2010, 10:16 AM
Do they rent nailers at the BORGs? I recall seeing some Passload's at one of them (HD?) - I personally own a Passload Framing Nailer and that thing ROCKS!! It's gas and battery - so no cords or hoses. Very handy! Rent one - be done in no time flat - then return it.

Mike Cutler
08-24-2010, 10:24 AM
For a single shed and maybe a few small projects, all you need is a hammer. Is everone today afraid to do even a little bit of work using elbow grease? :rolleyes:

Will
One justifiable reason for the use for a nailer for infrequent projects is that some of us work alone.
Holding sheathing or plywood, while trying to set and drive a nail, or working off a ladder with only one hand free, makes a nailer an attractive, faster and safer alternative.

For the record;
I do not own a pneumatic nailer, but I own plenty of hammers in all different weights. A pneumatic nailer is at the top of my list because of the above reasons

Matt Meiser
08-24-2010, 10:39 AM
When I did my shop, I bought a recon Porter Cable nailer, used it for a few months, then sold it used at a net cost of much less than renting. When I put engineered hardwood in our master bedroom I bought a used one on Ebay and resold it for the same price. Just another idea.

Lewis Ehrhardt
08-24-2010, 10:45 AM
I bought the HF 6-in1 several years ago. With the 20 percent coupon, I paid about $70.00. I've used it to build several large projects, inlcuding one 16/16 shed. I've loaned it to a friend who has a Bosch air nailer. He had to send it back for repair, although it was brand new. I've never had a jam (always maintained the recommended pressure). It shoots different nail angles. I'd buy another one without hesitation. Just paint it and maybe no one will notice who made it. L

Dave Gaul
08-24-2010, 10:59 AM
I bought the HF 6-in1 several years ago. With the 20 percent coupon, I paid about $70.00. I've used it to build several large projects, inlcuding one 16/16 shed. I've loaned it to a friend who has a Bosch air nailer. He had to send it back for repair, although it was brand new. I've never had a jam (always maintained the recommended pressure). It shoots different nail angles. I'd buy another one without hesitation. Just paint it and maybe no one will notice who made it. L

This what I would try, it is on my list of sooner-than-later tools to get! I've had a HF 1/2" crown construction stapler for over 6 years and have shot over 5000 (yes five thousand) staples without one single problem (except for when I shot one into my thumbnail!).

Ben Hatcher
08-24-2010, 11:14 AM
I have the HF nailer and it works fine for me. Like you, I've only used it for small projects, like framing a basement. I have the HF nails, too. My only issue with the combination of the two is that it the gun doesn't seem to like to shoot the last nail in the strip. Putting a second strip behind it doesn't help, either. So now I've got a jar full of framing nails. No big loss. For what it cost me and as often as I use it, I'm perfectly content.

Dennis Lopeman
08-24-2010, 12:30 PM
YUp - My framing nailer made things WAY easier - and probably safer. I actually got it after I tried to hold 4x8 sheets of siding up while trying to nail at the same time... not doable very easily. It may also come down to what your time is worth. $300 nailer has save me COUNTLESS hours... days... probably weeks!

Jerome Hanby
08-24-2010, 1:54 PM
I bought a used Porter Cable framing nailer off the bay. Got it for about $100. Only real reason I went with it is that my other nailers (except for a HF brad and HF pin nailer) were PC...

Will Overton
08-24-2010, 2:17 PM
YUp - My framing nailer made things WAY easier - and probably safer. I actually got it after I tried to hold 4x8 sheets of siding up while trying to nail at the same time... not doable very easily. It may also come down to what your time is worth. $300 nailer has save me COUNTLESS hours... days... probably weeks!

Just wondering if anyone remembers to pre-nail 2 nails through the sheathing, so just the points stick through, before lifting it. Once the sheet is in place, one strike of the hammer on each nail hold it in place. I'd venture to say that a 16 oz. hammer if probably lighter and easier to handle than a nail gun.

Don't get me wrong, I think nail guns are great and fast. They just aren't a necessity for a single shed.

Dave Lehnert
08-24-2010, 2:50 PM
I once purchased some HF guns though the net. Received them and turned out to be Discontinued Senco Accuset guns . Not bad for $20

Van Huskey
08-24-2010, 3:33 PM

A good framing hammer costs as much or more than a cheap nailer these days... :D

Flus if you work alone a nailer is invaluable, easy to hold a board and nail it correctly without help.

Callan Campbell
08-24-2010, 4:29 PM
Just wondering if anyone remembers to pre-nail 2 nails through the sheathing, so just the points stick through, before lifting it. Once the sheet is in place, one strike of the hammer on each nail hold it in place. I'd venture to say that a 16 oz. hammer if probably lighter and easier to handle than a nail gun.

Don't get me wrong, I think nail guns are great and fast. They just aren't a necessity for a single shed. What? This is America sir, power tools ARE required for every job even if a hand tool works as well and makes more sense, costs less, uses no electricity or other power source,..... etc:D:D:D
Any way, just kidding, and thanks for the good tip about working the sheathing alone. Now if I could just figure out how to work with my wife and my air tools at the same time without her going into a panic everytime the nailer shots off a nail.;)

Thom Porterfield
08-24-2010, 7:47 PM
Check the pawn shops. Around here, the construction industry is under water. A friend of mine owns a couple of pawn shops and at any time he has at least half a dozen nailers on hand. Senco, Hitachi, PC, etc.

Van Huskey
08-24-2010, 7:54 PM
Check the pawn shops. Around here, the construction industry is under water. A friend of mine owns a couple of pawn shops and at any time he has at least half a dozen nailers on hand. Senco, Hitachi, PC, etc.

Maybe the pawn shops are different in other areas but around here they seem to want near retail (sometimes more) for their tools.

Myk Rian
08-24-2010, 7:56 PM
Thanks all for your insight. Good info.

I hadn't thought of that. Got a PS just down the road.

Judd Owens
08-24-2010, 9:44 PM
I've had my Hitachi framer for about a year, without a problem. Put close to 8,000 nails through it. I don't think its the same model you're looking at(it's the 21* full head), but just a statement to brand quality in this field. My guy at Fastenal says that almost all of the dewalt guns he sells come back in a few weeks for repairs. Same for pasload, but that's mostly due to lack of taking care of them, as they have to be kept really clean. I don't know anything about the hf gun, but for that price, if you don't like it, you could almost get your money back after you're done with your pending project, and try something else. Also, +1 for hitting up the pawn shops. The ones around here are slam full of all kinds of construction tools.

Thom Porterfield
08-24-2010, 10:17 PM
Maybe the pawn shops are different in other areas but around here they seem to want near retail (sometimes more) for their tools.
Guess it depends on the desperation of the carpenter. :D

But you're right: the prices aren't like you run across at times on Craig's List or the occasional yard sale, but I did see once, in my friend's shop, a Senco framing nailer for $50. I didn't have need of it, so I didn't inspect it. But if the condition of the other power tools in his place was any indication, it probably was just fine.

Thomas Williams
08-24-2010, 10:27 PM
I owned one cheap nail gun and it was worth less than what I paid for it. I prefer Pasload and Impulse framing nailers. I think you can rent them. Pawn shops would be a good place to look as well.

Jeff Holoboski
08-24-2010, 10:51 PM
i say buy one.i built a 8x12 shed last summer using a hammer all the way,but when i had to hold material in place it was difficult and in some ways unsafe,and having a air nailer would have made it easier to hold and nail.
Jeff

Clint Winterhalter
08-24-2010, 10:52 PM
I have the Harbor Freight 28º nailer and have built 7 or 8 sheds with it now and used it for other projects around the house, loaned it to others and it never skipped a beat. I think I have around 5000-7500 nails through it. I also buy Bostitch nails at the Depot. I don't care for the HF nails.

Terry

I agree with Terry. I too have the HF 28 degree framing nailer. No problems. Buy genuine Bostitch nails for the best results..

Good Luck!

Clint

Bryan Rocker
08-24-2010, 11:30 PM
I will second the Pasload framer. Last summer I helped a friend build a 24x28 garage. He had borrowed a friends air nailer and I brought over my pasload framer. I can tell you that NOT being tangled in air hoses is the bomb..........It was the ONLY nailer being used while we were setting the trusses......

As to the little HF nailers. I have the 18g nailer/stapler and it has been very reliable. I only spent $19 but it has paid for itself many times over. I also bought a 23g pin nailer. It works just as good. Neither one of them has jambed.