PDA

View Full Version : New Guy Plane question - Low angle?

Frank Carnevale
08-23-2010, 6:17 PM
Hi Guys and gals. New guy here.

Just had a quick question, I am looking at a jointer plane (The LN No7 or 7.5). My question is, Why wouldnt I save a few bucks and get the No. 7 1/2 low angle jointer over the No. 7? I know the No. 7 is better on "difficult" woods but I think in what i build, I would just be using mahoganies, maples, white oaks, etc. you wouldnt classify them as "difficult" would you? Would you recommend a no. 7 1/2 or the old reliable No 7? Just looking for some perspectives on both. Thanks in advance

One more thing, nothing says you cant use the 7 1/2 on a more difficult wood right?

Frank Carnevale
08-23-2010, 6:18 PM
One more thing, if you are looking to sell one in great/like new shape, let me know also (sorry but had to put that out there)

Tri Hoang
08-23-2010, 9:34 PM
Just get the LN#7, Frank. If you like the low angle, go with the Veritas BU jointer - it has a few features that the LN 7.5 does not: fence option, lateral adjuster, mouth stop (pretty handy), longer front-mouth distance. The only caveat with the Veritas BU jointer is the non-flat side - can't be used on shooting board or to quickly check board flatness. Low angle planes have their place but they are not as beginner friendly as one might think. I do have a Veritas BU jointer for sale with a fence, though!

Older Stanley #7 would also be a good choice but it may take sometime to find a good one.

Jim R Edwards
08-26-2010, 7:38 PM
I am a huge fan of Lee Valleys low angle bevel up planes. I love the versatility and simplicity of the planes. I find them easier to set up and they fell better in my hand than a bevel down plane.

Jacob Mac
08-26-2010, 9:15 PM
Also, with the LV LA series of planes, you can swap blades out really easily. So if you are dealing with a figured wood, you can swap in a fifty degree blade and have at it. Not a bad way to go at all, if you have the money.

paul cottingham
08-26-2010, 10:56 PM
I just bought the LV BU jointer, and it is already one of my favorite planes. Setting it uo was a breeze, and it is a joy to use. Should have bought one years ago.