PDA

View Full Version : DXF2 ---need help

Brian Knuckles
08-23-2010, 6:10 PM
Hello everyone...

I need some help lasering DXF files out of CorelDraw X3.
I am lasering using a Synrad Laser & Marking head

http://www.synrad.com/Products/marking.htm

I am using software called WaveRunner.
Now every time I import a DXF2 file it does come in correct, however the paths don't close. So when I select hatch, it reverse fills the area.

Can anyone tell me the proper way to make a DXF file out of Corel

THx

Larry Bratton
08-23-2010, 6:44 PM
Is a DXF2 file a PDF file?

Dallas Traina
08-24-2010, 11:44 AM
Brian,
If you want to send me the file I'll be happy to look at it for you.

George D Gabert
08-24-2010, 1:03 PM
I go under "file" then 'save as" which opens save box.

Under "file Name' enter your file name.
Under "save as type" use down arrow and select "DXF-Autocad"

Press "SAVE" and file where you need to.

GDG

Glenn Corser
08-24-2010, 6:25 PM
This is what I use,
http://leonardcncsoftware.com/

and it works very well. Produces files that can easily be turned into tool paths.

Doug Griffith
08-24-2010, 6:40 PM
Here is another option:
http://www.kandusoftware.com/products/bezarc.php?product=Bezarc

Richard Rumancik
08-24-2010, 11:37 PM
Glenn, Doug - so what you are both implying is that the dxf-out from CorelDraw is not good?

The Kandu software looks interesting but if Brian is just marking alpha/numbers or small logos it might be a bit of an expensive option.

Brian - does the WaveRunner software have any options to manipulate the path (such as combine/close path or join nodes or whatever)? Maybe Synrad can help shed some light on your issue.

Doug Griffith
08-24-2010, 11:50 PM
Illustrator exports bezier curves to DXF as polylines opposed to true arcs. I can only guess that CorelDraw does the same. Software I use imports .AI files directly so there is no need for a dedicated conversion utility.

Glenn Corser
08-25-2010, 10:35 AM
I had a lot of trouble using the dxf exports from Corel to get good tool paths in SheetCam. If you go to the Leonard CNC web site they show how Corel ends up putting a lot of unnecessary nodes into both their drawings and into text. The size of the dxf exports between Corel and DXFTool can differ by a factor of 10 or more.

Joe De Medeiros
08-25-2010, 12:05 PM
I had a lot of trouble using the dxf exports from Corel to get good tool paths in SheetCam. If you go to the Leonard CNC web site they show how Corel ends up putting a lot of unnecessary nodes into both their drawings and into text. The size of the dxf exports between Corel and DXFTool can differ by a factor of 10 or more.

I just did a quick test, with corel draw with a circle and a spline, and imported both into autocad, and both were correct. Corel uses the 2004 dxf by default (but can export in older formats) this is very verbose, with the number of variables that are required in the file make it very large, most programs export DXF in R13 format that is very small and compact, it only requires a few lines, this might account for the size difference. Now text saved as curves have lots of points when translated. The example given on DXFtools site is misleading, they show a circle out of corel draw as lots of points, but Corel draw circles get translated to ellipses in autocad, with four quadrants, you can try this yourself. Maybe the example they give is from an older version of corel. DXF is very simple to write, but takes considerable effort to read, most programs have a difficult time read all versions of DXF, it's always better to export in the lowest common denominator R13/R14 instead of R2000 to R20XX.

here is a capture from autocad with a Corel export.