PDA

View Full Version : Finally, a bird feeder that really is squirrel resistant!

Jim Becker
12-11-2004, 9:18 PM
Here's the evidence...it really works. This little fellow, err...lady...isn't going to get any of those sunflower seeds unless they are dropped by the birds. Finally, a feeder that really is squirrel resistant! (The bottom drops with the weight of the animal and closes off the ports) This one happens to be called the Squirrel Buster Plus, but it's sold under several names by various feeder merchants including Wild Birds Unlimited and Duncraft.

Ken Garlock
12-11-2004, 9:53 PM
Those work very well, Jim. We have used them on a pole in the back yard.

Also you can use a long piece of pipe in an open area with the feeder on top, and slather good old automotive grease on the pipe. It gives them quite a surprise when they jump on the pipe and just slide to the bottom, also a job of cleaning their fur. :D

Glenn Clabo
12-12-2004, 8:37 AM
Jim,
I think we may just get one of those. I'm kind of torn though...those little suckers are fun to watch.

Jim Becker
12-12-2004, 9:01 AM
I think we may just get one of those. I'm kind of torn though...those little suckers are fun to watch.
Well...you still get to watch them. They certainly don't "give up" trying! And for a real show you can get one of those units (if you have a spare $120) that spin the squirrel off into space when they try and sit on the bar... :D

Jerry Olexa
12-12-2004, 2:51 PM
We have a similiar feeder that has a horiz pivot point and effectively shuts out the squirells. We also have baffles installed on 2 poles that a squirell cannot get around. They also work v well and are under $20 @ Wild birds Unltd. They also have a super size for about $40 to ward off racoons, Agree tho, they are fun to watch.:)

Glenn Clabo
12-12-2004, 5:27 PM
When I was in Virginia we had a battery operated one. When the little suckers touched one of the pegs and the metal tray it would get shocked (actually a tingle...I tried it) and they would back off. They were so dang smart that they figure out they had to touch both things and avoided the tray...then they would test it every day...until the battery died and then the dinner bell rang and they came from miles around!

I've never seen the flinger model...I wonder if I could set up the camera and get an action shot? "Rocky in booster phase!"

John Shuk
12-12-2004, 6:46 PM
Jim,
I have one that is the same idea but more of a house type design. My bird seed lasts about 2 weeks now instead of a day. Best investment ever. Got it at Frank's nursery going out of business to boot so I saved a bunch.