PDA

View Full Version : Bigger is Better

David Woodruff
08-23-2010, 2:40 PM
A few years ago my good friend Brian Tilton found this White Oak Burl on his Aunt's property in Stokes County, North Carolina. I was honored that he called me immediately, he was not excited for himself but for me.
The fellow standing by the burl is Junior, Brian's step father. He is around 6' 2". I am 75" with my boots on. This is a one in a lifetime burl. About 80" from the ground to top and 18 feet in circumference.The 20" diameter trunk grew to about 75 feet before the doughnut captured the nutrients. When we started cutting the upper canopy was dead, only a few suckers remained above the burl.

The handsome studly guy with the Homelite 360 is me.

159296 159329

Brian was not familiar with plunge cutting, vertical or horizontal, so he let me have at it. I do not recall the number of absolutely gorgeous burls we cut over a three day period, probably 75 or so. This thing was a beast.
Brian was in counter sales at the Klingspoor store in Winston Salem, North Carolina. He passed away in February this year, I was honored to call him friend and him me.

John Keeton
08-23-2010, 2:54 PM
David, I edited the post to put a line space in so all the pics would be at the bottom (you can also place them throughout your text if you want.) However, in order to rotate an image, you will have to do that before you upload it.

Are you using an editing software with the pics?

By the way, that is one HUGE burl!!!

Tim Rinehart
08-23-2010, 3:21 PM
Wow...I think that could keep one busy for a few days of turning...ahem...wow. Nice pics of what was likely a challenging bit of cuts.

David Woodruff
08-23-2010, 4:32 PM
David, I edited the post to put a line space in so all the pics would be at the bottom (you can also place them throughout your text if you want.) However, in order to rotate an image, you will have to do that before you upload it.

Are you using an editing software with the pics?

By the way, that is one HUGE burl!!!

It was a beast and a lot of fun with Brian, little did I know he would be claimed at 51. Were it not for wood and the common embrace of turning we would not have known each other. That would have been my loss. God Bless people like Brian Tilton.

David DeCristoforo
08-23-2010, 4:41 PM
OMG! That is one honkin' big oak burl! Would I ever love to stumble across one of those!

bob svoboda
08-23-2010, 4:46 PM
In AWE! Can't speak....no words!

John Hart
08-23-2010, 6:21 PM
Geez, that thing is huge. Congratulations. My sincere condolences for the loss of your friend. Good friends are rare.

David E Keller
08-23-2010, 6:27 PM
What an enormous Burl! WOW!

So sorry for the loss of your friend, but what a wonderful experience to have shared.

Bernie Weishapl
08-23-2010, 6:30 PM
Wow that is one hugh Burl. No words.

brian watts
08-23-2010, 7:10 PM
WOW like everybody said.would be nice to find something like that one day. to make calls out of..

Steve Schlumpf
08-23-2010, 7:51 PM
Quite the burl! Great photos! Excellent story to go with it! Sorry to hear about the loss of your friend!

Jack Mincey
08-23-2010, 8:14 PM
A very nice looking burl. Should prove to keep you busy for a while. If you don't have the ability to core some sets from that beast you should locate a turner that is willing to help you at least do one or two sets maybe for trade of one blank for them to do the same.
Happy Turning,
Jack

James Roberts
08-23-2010, 10:08 PM
Great Googly Moogly! That is one huge burl! So sorry to hear of the passing of your friend but certainly you will have memories to last every time you see a piece of that wood.

Van Huskey
08-24-2010, 3:53 PM
Now that is a burl!!!

charlie knighton
08-24-2010, 8:34 PM
great gloat, thanks for sharing, massive, plunge cuts???????
it looks like a dragon before cutting

Jeff Nicol
08-25-2010, 8:15 AM
That is one massive chunk of wood! You will have many, many hours of awe and intrigue while turning it! White oak is a favorite of mine so the evil of envy has reared it's ugly head!

You were blessed to have known your friend and spent time with him, he looks down upon you now with all the answers and will guide your hands to bring out the true beauty of the wood and your friendship.

Have a beautiful day,

Jeff

David Woodruff
08-25-2010, 10:34 AM
That is one massive chunk of wood! You will have many, many hours of awe and intrigue while turning it! White oak is a favorite of mine so the evil of envy has reared it's ugly head!

You were blessed to have known your friend and spent time with him, he looks down upon you now with all the answers and will guide your hands to bring out the true beauty of the wood and your friendship.

Have a beautiful day,

Jeff

Jeff, Thank you for the kind words.