PDA

View Full Version : Question re: attaching contrasting woods for hollowing

Michael Ginsberg
08-23-2010, 1:45 PM
A question to put out to you all... I have a piece of black line spalted maple that I want to use to make a hollow form. I want to make the base and the upper rim both of a black wood. I was going to use ebony scraps that I have. Must the pieces be turned seperately and then attached using a turned joint, or can they be laminated all together before final shaping so all three pieces can all be turned together as one piece?
I would appreciate all comments.

Mark Hubl
08-23-2010, 1:52 PM
Check out this recent thread. It has a link to another that has a nice tutorial about collars. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=146243&highlight=collar

David E Keller
08-23-2010, 2:23 PM
Michael, I tend to turn the contrasting elements separately and then fine tune them once they are attached to the piece. I do turn a recess/tenon for attaching them. YMMV.

John Keeton
08-23-2010, 2:50 PM
Michael, good advice from the others, and I would add that the problem one runs into with just face glued laminations (versus a recess/tenon glue up) is that you must make any transition cut precisely, and the glue joint must be absolutely tight or it will be very noticeable. I do it on finials when I set a piece of contrasting wood in a finial, and the V cuts must be exactly on the glue line - not always easy!!

Michael Ginsberg
08-23-2010, 2:57 PM
Thank you all for your suggestions. I am up to the attempt- we will see...