PDA

View Full Version : Did I Screw UP

Tyler Howell
12-11-2004, 9:17 PM
Did I screw up and bad! :o
I kinked my 1/2" Timber W0lf BS blade while trying to roll it for storage. I'm now cutting 1/4" kerfs and shaking the saw to pieces. Is there a fix? Is is worth having the kink cut out and spliced or do I break out a fresh 1/2" blade. It's a low mileage 105,
Thanks for the help

Jim Becker
12-11-2004, 9:21 PM
What, no pictures??????? :D :D :D

"New blade" time, Tyler...running a seriously kinked blade is not a safe thing to do, not to mention what it does to your material as you've already mentioned. That said, maybe you can pound out the kink by putting the blade between two piece of wood and employing a hammer. It would still be useful that way, even if not "precise" enough for fine work.

Jim Stastny
12-11-2004, 9:34 PM
Tyler,

A friend of mine has dealt with the Timber Wolf people on a number of occasions. He says they are extremely helpful. I would suggest you contact them, they may be able to help more than you might expect.

Ken Garlock
12-11-2004, 9:48 PM
Tyler, you are indeed a lucky fellow. Now you can get a real blade, real blades are spelled L E N O X. :cool:

Jim Ketron
12-11-2004, 10:12 PM
Tyler, you are indeed a lucky fellow. Now you can get a real blade, real blades are spelled L E N O X. :cool:
:eek:
And to think I was going to order my TW blades for the G0555 I just orderd?
Tyler that sucks:( hope you can get it fixed!
Jim

Keith Christopher
12-12-2004, 3:00 AM
Tyler,

New blade! Wow the neanders really got you 'eh ? :)

Alan Turner
12-12-2004, 6:06 AM
Tyler,
Chalk it up to experience, and save the blade for a never ending supply of scratch stock material. There are worse things to do with a BS blade. For example, I ran a 161" x 1" carbide Lenox into a broken off drywall screw while trying to quickly cut a clamping caul. That is a huge OOPS. Thought it was OK at first, can't see the damage, but several attempts at resawing, and had to call Louis Iturra for a replacement. Good thing yours was a less expenisve lesson.
Alan
Alan

Brian Hale
12-12-2004, 6:30 AM
I'd suggest you cut out the bad part of the blade, have it welded back together and get a smaller bandsaw to put it on. That way you'll save money by not trashing that nice TW :rolleyes:

Sorry about the blade boboo. I hate learning things thru experience.

Brian

Mark Stutz
12-12-2004, 11:05 AM
Tyler,
Sorry to hear about that. How frustrating. Looks like you'll have to make a couple of Bow Saws with 1/2 in. blades to go with all those other cordless tools! ;)

Mark

Steven Wilson
12-12-2004, 2:17 PM
You've always wanted a bow saw. Now you have some stock to make one !!!

Jerry Olexa
12-12-2004, 2:54 PM
Tyler ,as acting CEO of the pic police, I'm amazed you didn't provide pictures...

Ted Calver
12-12-2004, 8:03 PM
Tyler,
You have my sympathies. I freely admit to spending hours standing in my driveway trying to figure out how to get those blades coiled. I've studied the books and tried all the methods but only occasionally do I manage to do it correctly...and always by accident. Now I just hang the things uncoiled.
Ted

Steve Beadle
12-13-2004, 12:19 PM
Tyler,
You have my sympathies. I freely admit to spending hours standing in my driveway trying to figure out how to get those blades coiled. I've studied the books and tried all the methods but only occasionally do I manage to do it correctly...and always by accident. Now I just hang the things uncoiled.
Ted
Me, too, Ted! Especially the wider blades. They do take up more of my precious wall space that way, however!

I never thought about making a bow saw with a broken bandsaw blade! I like that idea!

Steve

Keith Christopher
12-13-2004, 1:07 PM
You can also cut them into scroll saw sized blades. They work very well in a scroll saw. ORrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr being a newly assimiliated Neander, you could melt them down pour a blank then get out your anvil and hammer and pound out a couple of blades for your planes. :) I'm sure Leif could show you how ! That guy can do anything.