PDA

View Full Version : 3 rollerball pens

Alan Zenreich
08-23-2010, 1:05 PM
From left to right, this weekend's turnings.

My first experience with both an M3 Damascus blank and the Jr. Statesman II components. I made this pen for myself.

I enjoyed working with the M3 metal composite blank... it cut very well with carbide tools. I would have liked to see a bit more pattern in the Damascus... it's very subtle. I'm pleased with the Statesman parts, and think it goes well with the blank.

I made the acrylic pen in the middle for a co-worker of my wife. He is retiring to an ocean community, and she wanted to give him a going away present that reminds her of the beach.

Finally, I've been eyeing coffee bean blanks for some time, and decided to make this as a gift for a dedicated coffee drinker. Though this pen has a CA finish, I will also give her a slice of the unfinished blank so she can sniff the beans.

David E Keller
08-23-2010, 2:28 PM
Nicely done on all three. I really like the look of the coffee bean blanks.

Rick Markham
08-23-2010, 4:23 PM
Alan very nice pens! Did you turn the damascus steel? (sorry I'm not a turner... yet :D) I know if you removed surface metal, if you want the pattern to stand out you have to expose the damascus steel to an acid. The pattern is the slightly different steels' differing reactions to acid. ;) (sorry I have been perusing the knife making forums learning all I can about heat treating steel etc...)

Bernie Weishapl
08-23-2010, 6:47 PM
Alan that is a great looking group of pens. Really well done.

Alan Zenreich
08-23-2010, 6:57 PM
Rick,

It's not the same as the authentic Damascus steel process. This is a material called M3 (short for Macro-Molecular Metal). It's 95% metal with some chemical binders.

The 'Damascus' pattern is created by mixing stainless steel with high carbon steel.

So this can be turned with very sharp woodturning tools (I prefer carbide tipped chisels).

That said, you bring out an interesting point... it's possible that I could use some treament or patina designed to darken the carbon steel components, making for additional contrast. It's worth looking into.

In person, the pen is very good looking... it has little specks of metal flake running through it, catches the light nicely.

Rick Markham
08-23-2010, 8:19 PM
Alan, in that case over time the patina should form. Or you could use a very weak acid (lemon juice) and it should blacken up the high carbon steel. Cutting up lemons always worked at turning high carbon kitchen knives jet black pretty quick. That is super cool! I really dig the one in the middle... It catches my eye.

Mark Hix
08-23-2010, 8:21 PM
great looking pens. I have been wanting to try the damascas blank myself.

Van Huskey
08-24-2010, 3:28 AM
Those are really gorgeous!