PDA

View Full Version : Delta 22-590

Stew Hagerty
08-23-2010, 12:05 PM
I was wondering if anyone has tried out the new Delta 22-590 13" Planer yet? I looked at it online and it sounds like it might be a decent machine. Delta certainly thinks it is valuable since the price is even higher that the Dewalt DW735.

http://www.deltaportercable.com/Products/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=19217

I have the 735 on my to-get list but I'm always on the lookout for something newer and better. Well this is definately newer, better is yet to be seen.

Maurice Ungaro
08-23-2010, 7:34 PM
Just looks like a shinier version of the 22-580. It does have an additional height adjustment knob, for what that's worth. AND it has the dust chute included. The 22-580 requires and add-on chute (which was not cheap...).
What do they want for this sucker, er....planer?

michael case
08-23-2010, 11:39 PM
Ive read its suggested price is $529.00. This is actually less than the Dewalt.

Curt Harms
08-24-2010, 9:41 AM
Just looks like a shinier version of the 22-580. It does have an additional height adjustment knob, for what that's worth. AND it has the dust chute included. The 22-580 requires and add-on chute (which was not cheap...).
What do they want for this sucker, er....planer?

Yup, it looks like a gussied up 22-580. It looks like they may have changed the chip collector. Mine fed out the side and was the weak point of that machine IMO. It'd plug when planing wet pine or any wood that produced stringy chips. I never had a problem with dry woods. it was fairly quiet for a lunchbox planer, but that's like being the tallest midget. They're all noisy but the Delta didn't have the high pitched scream that some have. the good points were a very nice finish and it didn't snipe, even with the cutterhead not locked. It looks like they did away with the two speed feed which was not required and was a PITA to change. I tried the lower feed speed once and left mine on high speed. The difference in finish quality was not noticeable. There may have been a difference on difficult wood like birdseye maple, I don't know. I'm surprised to see Stanley-Black&Decker-Delta-Porter Cable introduce a new planer. They already the the DeWalt models.

Stew Hagerty
08-24-2010, 11:40 AM
Ive read its suggested price is $529.00. This is actually less than the Dewalt.

Yeah, Woodcraft lists it for $529. I didn't see that when I wrote this though. CPO Delta shows it for $609.99

Stew Hagerty
08-24-2010, 11:44 AM
the good points were a very nice finish and it didn't snipe, even with the cutterhead not locked.

It says this has a new style of cutterhead lock. That is one of the things that set the DeWalt apart from the rest of the field.

Curt Harms
08-25-2010, 5:31 AM
and it worked well. It does need to be engaged manually but I just found it to not be necessary most of the time. One thing it looks like they did improve is the depth stop. I found the depth stop on the 22-580 to be fickle. It worked okay if it would engage. There was no way to preset a depth and I found the adjustment of the depth stop fussy and non-intuitive. The new depth stop looks easier to set. The dust collector attachment may be improved but with the hose attached in the middle of the planer the hose may want to hang down in the outfeed path of the planer. I ran into this with my Jet jointer-planer. The old Delta attachment had the hose attaching to either side of the machine so the hose wasn't hanging in the outfeed path. Maybe put a long sweep elbow on it? I also wonder why they put the "fins" in the hose attachment and if the "fins" may cause clogging. Hard to tell from the picture.

Nathan Allen
08-25-2010, 11:15 AM
At that price why not pick up one of the new Steel City portables with helical? Love their tools, just nobody sells them in Illinois.