PDA

View Full Version : Shop shoes?

Matt Radtke
08-23-2010, 10:32 AM
So I need a better pair of shoes for when I'm in the shop. After only 3 hours of crummy shoes on concrete, I could barely bend the next day. Anti-fatigue mats are on the way, but I can't put them everywhere.

Does anyone have a recommendation of for something that would work well and preferrably, be quick and easy to put on/take off? (If I track anymore sawdust and shavings upstairs that I already do, SWMBO will have my head.)

Mark Ottenheimer
08-23-2010, 10:38 AM
I wear a pair of Merrell Jungle mocs in the shop. They slip on and off (no laces) and are probably the most comfortable shoes I own. Can be a little pricy though.

Dave Gaul
08-23-2010, 10:41 AM
Something like what Mark said would probably be the best fit for comfort & functionality.

I think for the ultimate comfort, a good cross-trainer or walker sneaker can't be beat. You could get a pair of slip-on "booties" to go over your sneakers for when you enter the home, like some contractors wear when they come in your house...

Rich Purdum
08-23-2010, 10:51 AM
What Mark said above is spot on. There is a Clark's store at an outlet near by and when I can find a bargain pair that's what I use. They are comfortable and slip on. I just kick them off before going back into the house. You want to be sure the top of the shoe covers a good part of the top of your foot, otherwise your socks become sawdust and shavings magnets.

Sam Takeuchi
08-23-2010, 10:52 AM
I use a pair of cheap steel toe boots. They are comfortably spacious inside and no laces. Easy to slip in and out.

I started wearing steel toes after I dropped freshly sharpened and honed 10mm Blue steel Japanese chisel onto my left foot a few years ago. It was deep, bled a lot and location being the top of my left foot, it didn't close up well for about 3 weeks, and now it's just a big scar. Steel toes don't actually cover the entire feet, but I try to protect as much as I can.

Mark Roderick
08-23-2010, 11:00 AM
You will be amazed at the difference with anti-fatigue mats. I bought cheap black interlocking mats from Costco and they're great.

You don't need to put them everywhere, just the places you stand a lot. Obviously, if you're a hand-tool guy, the bench is the most important place. I also have a mat at my table saw and other power tools.

Like many people I suffer with a bad lower back, but with the mats it's never an issue for me.

Rob Lee
08-23-2010, 11:24 AM
I wear a pair of Merrell Jungle mocs in the shop. They slip on and off (no laces) and are probably the most comfortable shoes I own. Can be a little pricy though.

One looks a dorky wearing them with white socks too....DAMHIKT.....:D:D

Jacob Mac
08-23-2010, 11:34 AM
I use a pair of cheap steel toe boots. They are comfortably spacious inside and no laces. Easy to slip in and out.

I started wearing steel toes after I dropped freshly sharpened and honed 10mm Blue steel Japanese chisel onto my left foot a few years ago. It was deep, bled a lot and location being the top of my left foot, it didn't close up well for about 3 weeks, and now it's just a big scar. Steel toes don't actually cover the entire feet, but I try to protect as much as I can.

I am right there with you. I dropped a paring chisel on my foot. So I wear my steel toe boots as well.

Zach England
08-23-2010, 12:22 PM
flip-flops for me

Jim Koepke
08-23-2010, 12:23 PM
+1 on what Sam said.

If I am going to be working with sharp tools or heavy pieces of wood, I go for the safety shoes first.

If you get in trouble for a bit of saw dust, you will be in double trouble if you get blood all over the carpet.

jim

Richard Darjes
08-23-2010, 12:33 PM
Most places that sell steel toed work boots also sell steel toed running shoes. That is what I bought. Non slip pucture resistant soles, reasonably cushioned but much lighter than a work boot. I even find that I can slip my feet in and out of the running shoes without untying the laces.

They even make a work shoe that wouldn't be out of place in an office - maybe for the architects on job sites?

Harlan Barnhart
08-23-2010, 1:13 PM
I always work in those Japanese sock booties with sleeves for the toes.

OK, not really.

David Keller NC
08-23-2010, 1:35 PM
I also have a concrete-floored shop, and because most of my stock prep is done with handplanes, a great deal of pressure gets transmitted through to my feet (much more so than just standing at a stationary power tool). For that reason, I wear running shoes. They will do absolutely nothing for you if you drop a chisel blade-down on a trajectory that intersects your foot, but I've gotten very good at moving my feet out of the way under such a circumstance (practice, practice...:D).

I tried steel-toed boots, and even my very pricey (and prized) Vasque backpacking boots, but nothing other than the running shoes had sufficient give such that my feet didn't hurt at the end of the day.

On the sawdust note - I also have the issue of tracking sawdust and shavings up the stairs to wind up lodging in the carpet, where they're very difficult to remove. So - I installed one of those sticky mats from McMaster Carr at the top of the stairs. It stays sticky for about a month or so, after which you simply peel the top sheet off to renew the surface. It works amazingly well (though not as well as what I should do - sweep the shop more often!).

Scott Mann
08-23-2010, 1:50 PM
I go barefoot in the shop, seriously. I have the anti-fatigue mats everywhere, plus i like the sawdust between my toes.

Sam Takeuchi
08-23-2010, 1:54 PM
I always work in those Japanese sock booties with sleeves for the toes.

OK, not really.

They have steel toed version, too! Good stuff good stuff.

Matt Radtke
08-23-2010, 1:58 PM
I
On the sawdust note - I also have the issue of tracking sawdust and shavings up the stairs to wind up lodging in the carpet, where they're very difficult to remove. So - I installed one of those sticky mats from McMaster Carr at the top of the stairs. It stays sticky for about a month or so, after which you simply peel the top sheet off to renew the surface. It works amazingly well (though not as well as what I should do - sweep the shop more often!).

Now that's a familiar story and I love the solution. I'll have to look at that.

Prashun Patel
08-23-2010, 2:02 PM
Personally I use (stupidly) slippers with rubber soles only because they come on and off easy when I'm going up and down from my basement.

My probs come when I work hand tools at the bench. Anti fatigue mats really help. At my company the plant workers stand all day on concrete and they swear by AF mats. These are the ones we have for them.

http://www.matsmatsmats.com/commercial-industrial/anti-fatigue/supreme-fatigue-mat.html

The other thing to consider is lowering or raising your bench. That makes a world of difference especially if you're doing a lot of plane work.

george wilson
08-23-2010, 2:13 PM
I have a lot of back trouble,and find that a layer or 2 of Dr. Schole's(sp?) (Senior moment)
pads sold at the grocery store make a BIG difference in ANY shoe I have tried.

I cannot help but recommend steel toed shoes,too. They are really the only safe thing for the shop.

Casey Gooding
08-23-2010, 3:51 PM
I like good running shoes. My preference is for Saucony. They have good support and are really comfortable. They can be pricey, but you can often find good deals.

Adam Cherubini
08-23-2010, 3:59 PM
I use "cadillac" anti-fatigue mats in my shop from ULINE. They are nice because they are sweepable. I can work barefoot on these and have. For hand tool work, I think it's wise to recognize the importance of grip and ankle support. For these reasons, and because chucks of wood can get stuck in the knobby tread of running shoes and some hikers, I feel basketball shoes are best.

http://blogs.popularwoodworking.com/blog3/content/binary/sneaker.jpg

Adam
P.S. What I don't recommend are the shoes you see me in most often- leather soled and heeled colonial shoes with buckles. They are slippery in saw dust and trick to wear, especially if you don't wear them often.

john brenton
08-23-2010, 4:06 PM
but a funny looking one. I took an old pair of Florsheims and cut the backs off so they are now like slippers. I like them but they look ridiculous with shorts.

I have a pair of flip flops and a pair of crocs in there as well. You have to pour out the sweat from the crocs if you're working in an unconditioned garage though...seriously, you pour out about a 1/2 a cup and your feet are all white and pruny. You're wife can't complain about the mess though because your feet are clleeeeeeeeeeeeean after that.

Jeff Monson
08-23-2010, 4:14 PM
I use merrell tennis shoes, they are very comfortable, not cheap though.

john brenton
08-23-2010, 4:21 PM
Yeah, I came to the same conclusion myself...I'll just have to save these for hunting trips and bass fishing. I just can't understand why I can't make friends at the hunt club.

Harlan Barnhart
08-23-2010, 4:26 PM
John, you need to try those Japanese toe sock booties. Maybe there are some inner ninjas at the hunting club.

Dave Ring
08-23-2010, 5:50 PM
I spent most of my working life standing on bare concrete and it did a number on my feet and my back. By far the best work shoes I ever found were Reeboks DMX series walking shoes, which my podiatrist recommended. They have a pair of air chambers in the sole, one under the heel and the other forward. The two air chambers are connected and as you shift your weight the air moves from one to the other and it feels sort of like walking on a semi-inflated balloon...NICE! No steel toes though.

glenn bradley
08-23-2010, 6:37 PM
One looks a dorky wearing them with white socks too....DAMHIKT.....:D:D

That was you!?! I wear everything from older sneakers that aren't fit for public to sandals to Columbia boots. Depends what I am doing. Depending on your weather-zone, walking out the side door and around the house to go in the front or back door can shake of a lot of stuff to keep LOYL happier. . . just an idea. Boot brush at the door into the house? Compressed air?

Mark Wyatt
08-23-2010, 10:15 PM
For various health reasons, I'm very sensitive about shoes and standing.

In my shop, I built a plywood subfloor over the concrete and added anti-fatigue mats in strategic locations.

The best pair of shoes I've purchased in a while are Keen Alki Slip-Ons. I wore these exclusively on a three week trip through Japan. I loved them. Easy on, easy off without the "sweat" problem of the Croc's. Incredible arch support and overall comfort. I wear them in my shop all the time now.

The most comfortable walking shoe I've ever worn are the Clark's Air Mover.

Bill Miltner
08-23-2010, 10:19 PM
Crocs work shoes with some terry insoles. Best shop shoes I've ever worn.

Rick Markham
08-23-2010, 10:34 PM
Yeah, I came to the same conclusion myself...I'll just have to save these for hunting trips and bass fishing. I just can't understand why I can't make friends at the hunt club.

Wearing those shoes I don't think you would want to go out into the woods alone with any "friends" you might make... they don't look like good running shoes... could find yourself in a "deliverance" type situation there :eek:

Ron Jones near Indy
08-23-2010, 11:41 PM
New Balance cross-training shoes work for me. Surprised no one has mentioned Red Wings.

Rick Markham
08-24-2010, 7:44 AM
Ron,
That is actually what I wear. Not cheap, but honestly the most comfortable shoes I have ever worked in, standing all day in professional kitchens on tile floors and running everywhere shoes were really important, Red Wing boots always fit the bill. the ones I wear in the shop are well over 10 years old, they are a bit beat up from kitchen work, but they are still going strong. Buy a pair of Red Wings, they will last you the rest of your life, or at least 10X longer than anything else. ;) and of course i wear steel toes.

bob blakeborough
08-24-2010, 5:08 PM
Sounds crazy, but the most comfortable shoe I have found for standing and walking all day for me are Crocs!

Hear me out...

I am a big dude (6ft1 and 300lbs) and I have ALWAYS had foot issues. I work in a garage on concrete all day and my feet are (or were) always killing me! I have used expensive shoes, running shoes, etc and while some helped a bit, nothing left me pain free...

Well earlier this year (April) we took the kids to Disneyland, and within a couple hours of walking around I was ready to die from sore feet. I made a trip to a shoe store looking to spend a bunch of money on some new shoes to hopefully make it better and the guy at the counter told me to try Crocs. I thought he was nuts because they look completely stupid, but he showed me a canvas pair that were somewhat acceptable and let me try them on and right away I was surprised by their pillow like comfort. I figured for $50.00 bucks I could use them as beach shoes if they didn't do the job...

well I'll tell you what... I haven't worn anything else since that day! Holy cow are they comfortable! Long term, short term, walking, standing, whatever... NOTHING I have ever worn has been as comfortable as these simple shoes...

Next time my wife goes to visit her sister in California I am going to get her to grab me multiple pairs so I don't have to worry about them getting discontinued! Check 'em out... You'll be surprised...

http://www.crocs.com/mens-crocs-footwear/men-footwear,default,sc.html

http://www.uncrate.com/men/images/2008/05/crocs-santa-cruz.jpg
http://i691.photobucket.com/albums/vv271/macimillianmen/Crocs/canvas.jpg

or the ugly originals... LOL

http://www.babble.com/CS/blogs/strollerderby/2008/07/23-End%20of%20Month/crocs%20suck.JPG

john davey
08-24-2010, 6:03 PM
Well, the crocs look comfy but after dropping a 1/2hp craftsman motor on my big toe a few years ago I believe in my steel toed red wings :).

Yes it broke... Motor and toe :(...

Kevin McMichael
08-24-2010, 6:13 PM
I go barefoot in the shop, seriously. I have the anti-fatigue mats everywhere, plus i like the sawdust between my toes.

I also do most of my work in the shop barefoot. I do not recommend it for everyone but it seems all shoes are uncomfortable and I only wear them when I leave the house.

I am sure that I will change my mind if I drop a chisel on my foot!

I also run barefoot on smooth pavement. It is a lot easier on your joints.

Erik Manchester
08-24-2010, 8:07 PM
My wife got me a pair of plastic Birkenstock clogs for use going in and out of the house as the open back makes them easy to remove. However, I have found them to be extremely supportive and comfortable spending all day standing in the shop. Quick to remove so that sawdust doesn't come upstairs and the hard plastic toes will protect against anything razor sharp inadvertantly dropped.:eek:

Harlan Barnhart
08-24-2010, 10:52 PM
Yesterday I dropped a D-23 rip saw, 6 tpi, off the edge of the bench. Instinctively I "caught" it with my foot to cushion the fall. Now I have a nice row of stab marks, 6 tpi, across the top of my foot. That's what comes of working in your sock feet. For some reason little stab wounds seem to hurt more than much larger cuts.

Zach England
08-24-2010, 11:10 PM
Yesterday I dropped a D-23 rip saw, 6 tpi, off the edge of the bench. Instinctively I "caught" it with my foot to cushion the fall. Now I have a nice row of stab marks, 6 tpi, across the top of my foot. That's what comes of working in your sock feet. For some reason little stab wounds seem to hurt more than much larger cuts.

Was the saw OK?

Andrew Gibson
08-25-2010, 12:20 AM
I usually wear my older pair of sneakers.
some times I find myself in the shop in my flip flips and any time something sharp comes out I get a very bad feeling and go change my shoes.

The problem is my flip flops are croc brand and are very comfortable.

once I had a RO sander fall of the bench. I have a scar on my right heel from it... not a terrible cut, I kept working. but my birkenstock type sandal was never the same after being half full of blood.

Jeff Johnson
08-25-2010, 8:17 AM
Red Wing Steeltoes

Pros: Arch support, steel toes, comfy, non-marking, zippered for quick removal.
Cons: $160

http://www.redwingshoes.com/images/boots/large/965.jpg

Leigh Betsch
08-25-2010, 9:17 AM
These look quite comfy:

Rod Sheridan
08-25-2010, 10:47 AM
I wear steel toe work boots, very comfortable to stand in for long periods and they provide foot and ankle protection.

Regards, Rod.

David Keller NC
08-25-2010, 1:29 PM
Well, the crocs look comfy but after dropping a 1/2hp craftsman motor on my big toe a few years ago I believe in my steel toed red wings :).

Yes it broke... Motor and toe :(...

Actually, you might've been better off with the result you got rather than if you'd been wearing steel toes. Steel toes are very good for protecting your foot from a dropped edge tool or somethign that would hurt but isn't all that heavy.

However, they have a tendency to buckle if something really heavy is dropped on your foot (like an electric motor). Under those circumstances, the steel toe will amputate your toes, whereas a regular shoe or boot will generally result in broken toes. Neither are good, but the amputation risk has led many heavy-industry type businesses to stop requiring employees to wear steel toes.

Matt Radtke
08-25-2010, 1:44 PM
However, they have a tendency to buckle if something really heavy is dropped on your foot (like an electric motor). Under those circumstances, the steel toe will amputate your toes, whereas a regular shoe or boot will generally result in broken toes. Neither are good, but the amputation risk has led many heavy-industry type businesses to stop requiring employees to wear steel toes.

Does no one watch Mythbusters? This was specifically tested on of their older episodes.

The super-short version is that the only time they got amputation to happen (foot was made of balistic gel and a faux skeleton, iirc) was then they applied so much force you would have had a pancake for the front half of your foot without steel toes, ie, requiring surgical amputation anyway.

john davey
08-25-2010, 1:52 PM
David, I'm still going to wear em. Many more times am I going to be better off then if I was in socks. For the record the motor weighed about 30 pounds and only fell about a foot. Anything on my feet most likely would have helped a lot and the steel toes would have handled it fine.

This is kinda like the seat belt argument I have had with my family for years. Back in the 60's my Dad saw an accident where the poor guy inside was stuck from a seat belt and the car exploded and he died because he couldn't get out. My Dad never wore a seat belt for this reason. Now my brothers don't. Many more times is that belt going to help just like the steel toes. Just my opinion of course....John

Dave Gaul
08-25-2010, 1:53 PM
Does no one watch Mythbusters? This was specifically tested on of their older episodes.

The super-short version is that the only time they got amputation to happen (foot was made of balistic gel and a faux skeleton, iirc) was then they applied so much force you would have had a pancake for the front half of your foot without steel toes, ie, requiring surgical amputation anyway.

I do!! It's on my DVR timer.

I remember that episode... they had to try REALLY hard to get the amputation to occur.

ray hampton
08-25-2010, 2:32 PM
Do any company sell a add -on steel toe that are strap to your boots ? I have drop a number of items on my feet but the one time that a empty pop can fell on my bare foot hurt the longer [sore for a week ] the can rim hit my instep dead -center

Dave Houseal
08-25-2010, 5:11 PM

Hahaha....yeah I was going to say I know my horse weighs more than a motor.

IMO the worst part about steal toes are they only protect the toes. probably 3 or 4 times I've had a horse step on my foot above the toes :p

Harlan Barnhart
08-25-2010, 5:33 PM
Was the saw OK?
Good question. Yes, more importantly than my foot, which will heal nicely, the saw is fine.

David Keller NC
08-26-2010, 3:55 PM

Yes, I've seen it. The catch here is that amputation from a steel-toed boot is, while not really common (thank goodness), it IS based on industrial accident statistics, not just an internet rumor. And while I do respect Adam and Jamie's show and efforts to do tests as scientifically as possible, one has to remember that they can only test just a few models of shoes and circumstances due to practical reasons of the budget and show length.

That said, I don't eschew wearing them at all (and I do wear seat belts :)), but I don't wear them when I'm working with really heavy objects, such as this past week while cutting up a 36" diameter oak.

Chris Padilla
08-26-2010, 4:56 PM
ASICs Gel running shoes (20xx or 21xx). I wear this type of shoe EVERYWHERE and as they wear out from running, they move to everyday and eventually to grunge status for yard/shop work. :)

Matt Radtke
08-27-2010, 2:10 PM
That said, I don't eschew wearing them at all (and I do wear seat belts :)), but I don't wear them when I'm working with really heavy objects, such as this past week while cutting up a 36" diameter oak.

Just for fun, because I'm that kind of person who thinks math is fun, let's do the math on what would happen if that 36" log were to drop onto your foot. When you were cutting the log, about how high was it from your toes? About how heavy was the entire log and about how heavy were the chucks you cut off of it?

glenn bradley
08-27-2010, 3:30 PM
I do!! It's on my DVR timer.

I remember that episode... they had to try REALLY hard to get the amputation to occur.

Kinda like making dust explode from a static discharge; nearly impossible to do, but do-able.

Jim Koepke
08-27-2010, 4:56 PM
All "safety shoes" are not equal.

There are standards and if a load is going to collapse the toe of your shoe and amputate your toes, you were likely going to lose your toes anyway.

This is from the ASTM F/M2413-05 I/75 C/75 Standard. There are different standard for different work environments. This is the standard that my work shoes met.

The letters M2413 reference the performance requirement for foot protection. The additional digits following the standard designation indicate the year of the standard to which the protective footwear complies, for example: 05 refers to 2005.
M = Footwear designed for a male.
F = Footwear designed for a female.
I/75 = Impact rating of 75 (foot pounds)
C/75 = Compression rating of 75 (2500 lbs. of pressure)

At least one shoe of a pair should have this information on a label or printed in a visible location.

jim

Bob Turkovich
08-27-2010, 5:23 PM
Do any company sell a add -on steel toe that are strap to your boots ? I have drop a number of items on my feet but the one time that a empty pop can fell on my bare foot hurt the longer [sore for a week ] the can rim hit my instep dead -center

Not sure where to get them but I know someone makes them. Canadian auto assembly plants required steel-toe shoes. When unsuspecting executives and suppliers visited, if they didn't have steel-toe shoes they were given strap-on steel toes - bright yellow - looked like Clydesdales when they were walking through the plant:D.

Funny thing.....the Canadian plants didn't require safety glasses - couldn't get through the door into a US plant without them.:confused:

Since I frequented the plants, I got a pair of Florsheim's with steel toes and shanks. (You only have to step on a nail or sharp object once...but that's another story....). Now that I'm retired, they've become my workshop shoes.

ray hampton
08-27-2010, 6:57 PM
THANKS, that is where I saw the add-on steel toes, I were helping to shear sheet steel and drop the sheet[edge first ]on my steel-toe boot it would have cut my foot off except for the steel -toe, I recommended them for work but not for driving a car

Rick Markham
08-27-2010, 8:57 PM
Yes, I've seen it. The catch here is that amputation from a steel-toed boot is, while not really common (thank goodness), it IS based on industrial accident statistics, not just an internet rumor. And while I do respect Adam and Jamie's show and efforts to do tests as scientifically as possible, one has to remember that they can only test just a few models of shoes and circumstances due to practical reasons of the budget and show length.

David, like Jim stated not all "steel" toes and safety shoes are created equal. Red Wings "steel" toe is not metal by any means, it is actually a composite material that is far safer in a crushing situation.

As for Mythbusters, I love the show... but, they can talk to one of my friends in high school who nearly lost all of their toes when they were trapped by the steel toe buckling. They spent a very long time in the emergency room having their boot cut off and receiving tons of stitches. Now they were cheap old combat boots, and their ANSI rating was probably non existent... but it did happen :p I was there!

Robert Nease
08-31-2010, 11:30 PM
I just recently bought some slip-on hushpuppies with comfort gel insoles, they stand up to a full 8 hours of flattening panel glue ups. Even longer if I remember to put down the anti fatigue mat. Plus, I do wear white socks, dorky or not! Works great. I'm sure the chisels would go right through if dropped directly on the top, because they are scary sharp. I'm trying to decide which would be worse, the chisel, or the #8.

Darius Ferlas
08-31-2010, 11:50 PM
I'm all for safety in the shop and such, but I have a hard time thinking about usual circumstances in a FINE wood working shop that would really require steel toe footwear more than in other daily situations when we do not wear protective shoes.

An average person cooking a meal is exposed to some real potential of falling object - cutting boards, knives, pots (often hot) heavy containers etc. No steel toe slippers in the kitchen though; even if that breakfast is sometimes done in half asleep state and that overdone toast of an oversized slice jumps out of the toaster on the floor.

Heck, cooks in restaurants handle some serious cast iron frying pans and they wear sneakers.

Won't regular work boots/shoes do?

Adam Cherubini
09-01-2010, 6:46 AM
One more word from me: When subjects like this come up on forums like this one, there's a presumption that the responses are specific to hand tool usage. I'm not sure all the responses here are hand tool specific. (That doesn't mean they are bad, wrong, inappropriate, worthless etc etc). Only that they may be influenced by machine work which make them different in some ways.

I've seen the same thing with respect to shop lighting, flooring, layout out etc. In my opinion, hand work and machine work are different enough that what's good for one type of work may not be good for another.

In this instance, Crocs, I feel are a particularly bad shoe for hand tool work. When planing, especially planing long stock, you push your upper body sideways. This mean you need good lateral support from your shoe (like those designed for tennis and basketball). I don't generally stand in one place for hours on end like machine tool guys do. I'm moving around, using my leg muscles, etc etc. When ripping, I use my feet to hold my stock. Sometimes I find myself standing on one foot for a long time, moving stock around while balanced on that foot. I need traction, and a shoe that my foot doesn't slide around in (like a croc or any clog).

Obviously, these are all personal preferences, but you can read into them that I choose my shoes for specific hand tool operations. Inevitably, whatever you are comfortable with is best. There's no right or wrong answers here. But I feel it's wise to keep in mind that each of our points of view are effected by the work we do. I've had bad luck with "conventional wisdom" from internet forums, much of it really not optimized for hand tool work. Lighting is the subject that stands out most in my mind. What is good for a power tool shop is really not good for a hand tool shop and vice versa.

You may not realize from this post, but I don't feel strongly about this subject, but I think the phenomenon I brought up here is interesting.

Adam

Sam Takeuchi
09-01-2010, 8:37 AM
I'm all for safety in the shop and such, but I have a hard time thinking about usual circumstances in a FINE wood working shop that would really require steel toe footwear more than in other daily situations when we do not wear protective shoes.

An average person cooking a meal is exposed to some real potential of falling object - cutting boards, knives, pots (often hot) heavy containers etc. No steel toe slippers in the kitchen though; even if that breakfast is sometimes done in half asleep state and that overdone toast of an oversized slice jumps out of the toaster on the floor.

Heck, cooks in restaurants handle some serious cast iron frying pans and they wear sneakers.

Won't regular work boots/shoes do?

I think two environments are fundamentally different in a sense that there are different types of danger to be concerned about. Danger is there no matter what environment, like you said, falling objects, hot/boiling stuff and slip and all that in the kitchen are certainly danger to those who are in that environment. I used to work in a hotel kitchen and the worst I've had was cutting my left index finger deep through the fingernail (into the finger of course. Everything happens on the left side of my body) and slipping here and there (but no falling down). Stuff falling from the prep station wasn't really one of the concerns. Tools and equipments in the kitchen don't tend to roll off or have shape that tend to move on their own. And you certainly don't (or shouldn't) have 5 or so knives cluttering around you. Kitchen work area tend to be more confined than a ordinary woodworking bench, plus hygiene point of view, you don't tend to keep used knives sitting around for extended period of time or risk cross contamination.

So while I think kitchen definitely has its own danger, I don't think comparing it with woodworking environment is applicable. When chisel handles come square, or dirty or used knives, chisels or plane blade become concern for contaminating wood enough to destroy final product, I'm pretty sure people would be less prone to cluttering their work area and dropping sharp objects. But that's not the issue in woodworking environment and people, including myself, tend to leave those little things on the bench. Probably the best thing to do is to develop tidy habit. But relying on luck isn't a good idea. I make living doing this. When I dropped chisel on my left foot, I couldn't do anything more than chisel work and use block plane while sitting for over three weeks because the wound didn't close well (it was little over 1/4" deep). I couldn't do smoothing, flattening or anything that involved putting pressure onto my left foot. For me at least, when not wearing steel toes risk my work and living, and I can't call in sick or have me replaced with someone else, I really can't imagine not taking reasonable precaution. If my chisel dropped little to the left, I was looking at a couple months of rehab at least.

As for your question whether regular work shoes/boots do or not, they certainly do, even barefoot will do. As long as you understand the risk and make a conscious decision not to wear steel toes, I think that's fine. But I think it's naive to point out different environment and say "see, they don't need steel toes, neither should we!".

Beside, comfort and safety can co-exist in a pair of work shoes/boots. In fact, if you are looking for comfort and safety, look at kitchen/chef clogs with steel toes. Many of them actually do wear steel toes in the kitchen and good pair of them are very comfortable (kitchen work is brutal for your feet, legs and back. Some of these people work 12 to 16 hours a day. Get a life, right? :o). Is it necessary in the kitchen? I don't know, depending on what you value. Wearing them is certainly a reasonable precaution that doesn't really hinder or obscure the activity in question, in kitchen or woodworking shop.

Rick Markham
09-01-2010, 8:59 AM
Darius I think Sam pretty much nailed it. It's all about the risks you are willing to take, and how clumsy you are :o, The reasons I always spent the money (usually several hundred dollars per pair) on the upper end Red Wing boots was simple. They were non slip, grease resistent, electrically insulated, steel toes, and most importantly were often far more comfortable than a pair of tennis shoes. I know it sounds absolutely ridiculous, but it is the truth. When you stand and run around like a madman for 12+ hours a day, that's the important part.

As for the professional kitchen worker wearing tennis shoes in the kitchen, unless they are those snazzy work boots desguised as tennis shoes, they are not the brightest bulb in the box and someone you probably wouldn't want to emulate. Slip and fall is the biggest danger, tennis shoes are the worst offender in a greasy wet environment. Now imagine doing the stationary (cartoon like) off balance dance with a 40qt stock pot of hot soup.:eek: (I have seen it happen) The steel toes were simply a benefit to the comfort/non slip/electrically insulated aspect of the boot for me, but they saved my feet from several potential accidents.

I wear pretty much what ever I feel like when I work in the shop, but I am a hobbiest, not a professional. If I am doing something that can involve me stubbing a toe, smashing my foot, or dropping a sharp object on my toes, I wear my boots... after all I already own them, I would be stupid not to use them ;) Now for my purposes, would I run out and buy another pair of them, just for shop shoes, probably not. But they are comfortable and I wear them out and about too.

Few things in life can really make or break your day like a comfy pair of shoes!

bob blakeborough
09-01-2010, 1:18 PM
In this instance, Crocs, I feel are a particularly bad shoe for hand tool work. When planing, especially planing long stock, you push your upper body sideways. This mean you need good lateral support from your shoe (like those designed for tennis and basketball). I don't generally stand in one place for hours on end like machine tool guys do. I'm moving around, using my leg muscles, etc etc. When ripping, I use my feet to hold my stock. Sometimes I find myself standing on one foot for a long time, moving stock around while balanced on that foot. I need traction, and a shoe that my foot doesn't slide around in (like a croc or any clog).

Not all Crocs are clogs... they do make a sneaker and a boot as well...

http://demandware.edgesuite.net/aadb_prd/on/demandware.static/Sites-crocs_us-Site/Sites-masterCatalog_Images/default/v1283315127319/product-images/standard/10545_side_060.jpg
http://demandware.edgesuite.net/aadb_prd/on/demandware.static/Sites-crocs_us-Site/Sites-masterCatalog_Images/default/v1283315127319/product-images/standard/10935_side_063.jpg

Jeff Johnson
09-02-2010, 9:42 AM

FINE does not always mean tiny.

When I was planing my 7-foot, 3" thick maple workbench top, and it slid off the edge the table it was on, even though I managed to jump clear, I was dang glad to have the steel toes. And I work with some big thick oak planks in my reproduction woodworks. A few extra bucks for steel is nothing compared to the cost and inconvenience of a broken toe.

Didn't always be that way... In high school, I worked as a tire changer - truck, tractors... big stuff that'd take a toe like nothing, and I wore sneakers. And I wore those sneakers with sunglasses and a t-shirt on my motorcycle. Now, I have steel toes in my shop, and on the bike a full-face and a set of Vanson leathers.

David Cefai
09-08-2010, 4:20 PM
My personal preference is for running shoes and a brush which I try to remember to use when going into the house.

Regarding steel toe shoes I was recently pleasantly surprised to discover that you can get plastic toed shoes to the same specification as steel toed. My new ones are so comfortable that I forget to to tear them off as soon as I can.

Ron Jones near Indy
09-08-2010, 6:23 PM
My personal preference is for running shoes and a brush which I try to remember to use when going into the house.

Regarding steel toe shoes I was recently pleasantly surprised to discover that you can get plastic toed shoes to the same specification as steel toed. My new ones are so comfortable that I forget to to tear them off as soon as I can.

How about some details please?