PDA

View Full Version : Poplar edging on birch plywood

Jim Stringer
08-23-2010, 10:00 AM
I'm finishing up a desk that I built with birch plywood. I'm going to be using poplar (with a cherry gel stain) for the desk top. The birch plywood I was just going to do a base coat of shellac followed by poly. I figured I would do the edging in cherry stained poplar to match the desktop. Here's my question: Do I stain the poplar edging before attaching to the plywood or do I just mask it after it's all installed? Thanks in advance.

Prashun Patel
08-23-2010, 10:17 AM
It's a challenge either way.

If you stain first, you won't be able to flush trim it after installation.

If you install it first, you'll have a devil of a time masking it exactly.

You have 2 options:

1) Stain the WHOLE thing - including the birch. Then I'd install first, trim, and then stain.

2) If you want the contrast and don't want to stain the birch, then I'd use a jig to make sure the edging is perfectly aligned:
I just read about this last night: You cut 3 pieces of scrap from your birch and make a glued up sandwich, with the middle part set back by a couple inches from the tops. After carefully milling your edging to be the same width as the birch, you then put a couple of these jig blocks over the edging and the shelf to keep it all aligned. Clear as mud?

glenn bradley
08-23-2010, 10:20 AM
PVA glue works best on non-finished wood. If it is not a penatrating oil type gel you can mask the surface that will eventually be glued. Penetrating stains will leech into the area, taped or not. I have done this using dyes and various hardwoods.

Chris Padilla
08-23-2010, 2:03 PM
Life would be easier if your edging was cherry to begin with but this sounds like a good challenge.

If you're worried about the integrity of the joint between the birch plywood and the hardwood edging (for a variety of reasons, Glenn point out one), you can:

(1) Use biscuits
(2) Use splines
(3) Use dowels
(4) Use dominos

BUT, you will really have to dead-nuts on to keep the edging flat WRT to the top.

Hmmm, I'd just use real cherry...it will turn out so much better.

They have that new-fangled Frog Tape that is formulated to prevent bleed-through were you to attempt masking/staining after the fact.

Prashun Patel
08-23-2010, 2:13 PM
Not sure banding in cherry would help. 'Cherry gel stain' usually looks more like cherry cola than cherry wood. I'm not saying it's a bad thing to use, just saying that it usually doesn't match the brown/amber tone that aged cherry acquires, but looks more red. So, if you used cherry for the banding but stained poplar for the sides, you could have an issue.

Henry Ambrose
08-24-2010, 10:30 PM
Poplar and birch aren't going to match up. If you've not done the edging get some birch or some soft maple and you'll have a better chance.

Do some tests of the stain - I think you will find that Prashun's comments are correct.