PDA

View Full Version : Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments.....

Dennis Peacock
08-23-2010, 9:22 AM
23 Aug 2010

Good Morning Everyone,
Now that it's getting closer to fall, I'm now making plans for getting back and spending some real time in the shop once again. I'm hoping that late September I will be back in the shop making stuff again. I have a few things I'd like to make and things I'd like to try, but it's just been too hot here and in my shop to do any real woodworking. I just don't take the summer heat as well as I used to.

Cutting boards are being planned as well as a gun rack for Joseph (my son) and finally the hope chest / trunk that my daughter has wanted made.

This past weekend was work at the day job and bass playing at church on Sunday. Friday night was a men's conference at Mark Cothren's church that I really enjoyed. Today it's taking the boys to the dentist and doing some necessary computer work.

Well, that's it for me, so what did YOU do this past weekend?

Best of weeks to you all.

Ken Fitzgerald
08-23-2010, 9:51 AM
Did a little sight seeing and yesterday, we drove home from Central Oregon.

Spent the last 8 days on vacation in the mountains and high country desert of Montana, Wyoming and central Oregon. Thoroughly enjoyed ourselves.

Matt Meiser
08-23-2010, 11:22 AM
Saturday we woke up to a slow steady rain and since couldn't do what I'd planned we took LOMLjr school shopping. Sunday I put up an arbor for some grape vines we planted late last summer that grew way faster than I expected. Then I got started installing a couple conduits between the house and shop. I've got a contractor coming Thusday to run the gas out there and while they are doing their work they are going to dig a trench for my conduits too but I need to hand dig the ends of it due to landscape and utility issues at both ends. I got one end hand dug about 10' out and installed the conduit into the shop and about 8' down the trench. I also spray painted an orange line across my yard to show them where I want them to trench.

Also talked to LOML about my plans for the upcoming WW season which include finishing the trim in my parents' kitchen, LOMLjr's desk and a new bed for us.

James Baker SD
08-23-2010, 11:41 AM
of the PM-15 planer jigsaw puzzle put in.

Got the lead screws & bearings into the new columns, the columns in the base, the table over the columns, the head casting on the columns, the infeed and outfeed rollers back in the head casting (removed to reduce the weight of the head casting), the Byrd Shelix attached to the gear box, gear box reassembled and filled with oil, and the gear box mounted into the head casting.

A ways to go yet, but it almost looks like a planer again.

James

Greg Scull
08-23-2010, 11:48 AM
Covered all the tools in my shop and began the rust removal of a ShopSmith 10E 1948' model. Polished the tubes and did an electrolysis bath then painted most of the large parts. Will be my "new" drill press when its all done :).

Sewed a bands/pouches for our 2yr old who goes on an insulin pump today. Strechy little band that will hold the pump on her body. Amazing the stuff I learned about sewing when I used to stay at grandma's house as a kid.

Brett Clark
08-23-2010, 1:05 PM
I finished my first ever chair. This was a practice for the six I promised my wife I would make to go with the table I made last year. It has its flaws, but I'm happy with the learning experience and the following ones should turn out a bit nicer.

This was a design in FWW book I found. <mini rant>If you're going put out a book with projects, it would be nice if all the dimensions in cut list and templates were correct.</mini rant>

Lee Ludden
08-23-2010, 1:12 PM
This weekend was spent doing the final 2% on the last several weeks of projects. It seems there is always something that "I'll get to later". Well, this weekend later was now.

Installed pulls on several drawers on shop cabinets, organized toolboxes and basically got ready for the next wave of projects.

Thom Porterfield
08-23-2010, 1:17 PM
I went camping. You'd think there would be little woodworking while camping. (Chopping firewood isn't woodworking. No, really. It isn't.)

But SWMBO just loves food cooked on the fire in the Dutch oven. This trip we remembered the tongs and shovel for the briquettes, but forgot the pot lifter.

So my weekend wood working project was to make, out of a forked stick and using the saw accessory of my Swiss Army knife, a very nice pot lifter. After the meal was done, it wound up in the fire, so next trip, when we forget the pot lifter, I will make another. Keep the skills up, you know.

Kurt Rosenzweig
08-23-2010, 1:18 PM
I spent the weekend putting the roof on my new shop addition in prep to house a CNC router. Still don't know what one I'm buying or building. Just keep on going back and forth between the two in my head. I'm almost done the addition so I'll be backed in a corner on a decision soon enough! LOL! :D

george wilson
08-23-2010, 2:24 PM
Believe it or not,I made about 36 18th.C. THREAD SPOOLS. They are NOT like modern spools. I don't feel like making a photo and posting it. Here is a description: They are about 1 1/4" long. There is a central tubular part that is about 3/16" dia.,with a 3/32" hole through its center. The ends look like very thin ellipses with SHARP small ends,very sharp,as seen from the side of the spool. They are about 11/16" in dia.,and 1/8" thick at their thickest area where they meet the center column.

These are 1 piece turnings made from dogwood. They are tricky to make due to their extreme delicacy,with the very thin,sharp edges of the spool ends.

Just another way that 18th.C. craftsmen found to torture each other in their quest to become the best and most sought after in their fields,I suppose. I'm sure the thread spool makers were a speciality trade,and they made nothing else.

For a change,I did not ruin any in making them this time. sometimes the very thin,sharp edges will shatter. By now,having made quite a few for my VERY PARTICULAR customer,I guess I've gotten it down pretty well.I think dogwood is one of the best woods for making these spools,being readily available,and pretty tough.

Jim Becker
08-24-2010, 5:40 PM
Low tech woodworking for me this weekend, installing supports for and the actual interior trim around a replacement door to our patio from the "study room" located in the 250 year old portion of our home. Also had my regular dressage lesson on Saturday and, um...cleaned my desk.

Van Huskey
08-24-2010, 8:02 PM
The closest thing to woodworking was tracking down a leak and cutting drywall... :(

glenn bradley
08-24-2010, 9:21 PM
Added a couple more tracks to dad's DP table:

George Sanders
08-24-2010, 9:30 PM
Cleaned and organized the garage. Made a rack for turning tools. Still need to attach it to the lathe. Finished up my saw and plane cabinet shelves. Still have to make some doors for them. That's something to do this weekend.

Eric McCune
08-24-2010, 10:33 PM
Finally finished the floor on my garage to shop conversion. That was a lot more work than I expected. I forgot to take a picture of the subfloor. I used Advantech, great product. The flooring is pre-finished 3/4" red oak. I had to scribe all the sleepers because my concrete floor was over 3" out of level.

David Helm
08-25-2010, 12:08 AM
Finally finished the floor on my garage to shop conversion. That was a lot more work than I expected. I forgot to take a picture of the subfloor. I used Advantech, great product. The flooring is pre-finished 3/4" red oak. I had to scribe all the sleepers because my concrete floor was over 3" out of level.

Garage floors are always out of level so they can drain out.