PDA

View Full Version : Quick Lacquer Questions

Ken Casser
08-23-2010, 9:15 AM
I normally would do a SEARCH and spend some time looking for the answers that are probably already here, but my time is short, so please forgive me...

I'm spraying (HVLP) Lenmar Duralaq 1C.216 Black Lacquer Undercoater as a primer to go under a glossy topcoat. It's gotten very humid here this weekend.

Q1 - Will the humidity affect shooting this primer? I understand humidity isn't good for shooting the topcoat, but does it matter with the primer?

Q2 - Do I thin the primer the same way I thin the topcoat?

Q3 - Do I need to use a retarder in the primer?

I've shot three coats so far and sanded most of it off. It looks good, but I wanted a second opinion on what the proper process should be.

Thanks!

Ken

Phil Phelps
08-23-2010, 4:24 PM
I've never added a retarder to primer. I thin most all lacquer 50%. Why are you sanding the primer off?

Ken Casser
08-24-2010, 10:14 AM
Thanks, Phil.

I want a glass smooth finish when I'm done, so I'm trying to fill the grain with primer. I used to sand to 180 and then start spraying primer and then top coat, but I was still getting wood grain showing through even after six coats of gloss. So, this time I sanded with 80 grit and then shot primer. Then 120 & primer, 150 & primer, and now I'm lightly sanding with 180 and will shoot another coat of primer. Hopefully I won't sand through the last coat of primer and the topcoat will go on in three or four coats and I'm done. The primer needs to be sanded because it has a gritty texture.

My main question, though, was should I be concerned with the humidity level when shooting primer? I know it will blush the topcoat, but I didn't know if I'd be taking a chance by not waiting for a dryer day.

Mitchell Andrus
08-24-2010, 3:52 PM
Don't build primer/sealer in multi layers unless the mfgr says it's OK to do so. Too thick and it'll shrink and craze taking the topcoat with it maybe months later. There may be a better grain filler to use with your mfgr's system.

Most lacquers I've used calls for 1 or 2 coats sealer, 1 coat top and that's it.

Ken Casser
08-24-2010, 4:03 PM
Thank you, Mitchell. Lenmar says "one coat undercoater, one or two coats of topcoat", but I've always had grain show through. Maybe I need to sand the raw wood more, but I was always taught to sand to 180 for film, 220 for oil. I'll keep at it. Something's got to click.

del schisler
08-24-2010, 8:23 PM
Thank you, Mitchell. Lenmar says "one coat undercoater, one or two coats of topcoat", but I've always had grain show through. Maybe I need to sand the raw wood more, but I was always taught to sand to 180 for film, 220 for oil. I'll keep at it. Something's got to click.

what kind of wood are you finishing ? I use M.L.Campbell lacquer for 5yrs and this is what i do. I make jewelry box's and other furnature item's . And use lacquer. and a HVLP sprayer with 30.lbs of air. No over spray. Now i make them out of all kind's of wood walnut , cherry, oak , maple ,butternut , pupple heart , padauk, brizillian cherry ,and some other's . I alway's of course plane wood down and use a belt sander 3x21 or 4x24 Depend's . With 180 grit and get the board flat or all the planer marks out. Wich isn's much . Than i use my orb. sander wich is 6" and sand with 200 grit as a back up. Than sand to 400 grit . Some may say that is a over kill But it is slick and work's for me . Now i don't care if the oak is open grain . Most other's are tight grain ? I spray one sanding sealer and than sand with 400 and dust off real good with a dry wag . Than with the air hose i blow the wood off some more. I do all my finish work infrount of a 36" exhaust fan on high. After that i spray all my item's on slow speed. Just enough to keep the fume's going out. Never have a problum with dust. I take very good care of my shop . Like blow all the dust from every where. when i am cleaning the shop. I have a delta dust collector for all my machine's. Now if you want the oak pour's closed . Maybe use shellac? Now if you are stainning Wait 8 hrs of ever better over night is better. That is what i do . good luck Don't be afraid to sand

Ken Casser
08-25-2010, 11:19 AM
Thank you, Del.

The wood is poplar. I think I must just have to sand to a finer grit. Thank you for giving me your method. How many top coats do you spray?