PDA

View Full Version : Potpourri bowl

Michelle Rich
08-23-2010, 6:53 AM
I am trying to find "useful" projects to incorporate my newest passion. When thinking of bowls, I came up with, what else, a potpourri lid. Spalted maple, bocote lid lifter. About 7 + inches in diameter. A tad harder working this idea into a confined/designed space. Previously my only design concern was size of the wood I had available. This, had considerations not only in diameter that had to be met, but since the lid varied in height,(taller in middle than at rim) I had a real technical issue to overcome. Hope this intrigues..;)

John Keeton
08-23-2010, 7:12 AM
Michelle, that is fascinating, and a very good application of your 'negative space' technique. The spalted maple is really nice.

IMO, I would go with a more simple knob vs. finial, and either use the spalted maple, or use a darker wood such as walnut with less showy grain. To me, the Bocote, while very well done, and beautiful wood, becomes the focal point. Whether it would deter one from lifting the lid, I don't know. But, it would be a shame to have that happen and miss the nice surprise.

Just a thought! I do like the 'functional' idea for showcasing the 'negative' turning, though getting them smaller like this certainly has to be more difficult.

Michelle Rich
08-23-2010, 7:46 AM
morning John, Roger Wilco

Roger Chandler
08-23-2010, 8:12 AM
morning John, Roger Wilco

I'm another Roger.........but,

Hello Michelle,

That is a unique and useful project! The potpourri pot is truly a great way to use you negative space turning technique for something other that a light catcher [which is jest terrific in itself].

I like the form on the bottom and the lid. While the finial is nice, my tastes would have gone to a knob, like John said. I really think this is very useful and unique. My wife loves to take fresh flowers that have reached the useful end of their display life, and put them into a fragrant potpourri mix, and something like your turning would be just a wonderful container.

On the finial, I have only done one in the past, so what do I know anyway?:D This is a beautiful piece of work and very functional, Congratulations!

Aaron Wingert
08-23-2010, 8:53 AM
I'm with John on the finial/handle material Michelle, but that lid just begs to be picked up and inspected! Really awesome work!!!

Michelle Rich
08-23-2010, 9:15 AM
I hear ya'll on the lid lifter..I too have a bit of a problem with it..But sometimes one's gotta go with what one has and what the recipient wanted...I'll make a different choice down the road if I make another..thanks for the imput

John Hart
08-23-2010, 9:56 AM
Wonderful application for your signature work Michelle. Very cool. I'm sure all these little details will evolve gracefully. :)

Steve Schlumpf
08-23-2010, 10:07 AM
Michelle - that's pretty cool! I like the idea of using your negative space design for a potpourri - just seems like a natural! Pretty woods! Looking forward to the next one!

Christopher K. Hartley
08-23-2010, 11:54 AM
Michelle, this is wonderful. I like everything about it. Would you mind talking about the technique you used on the lid. Thanks,:)

David E Keller
08-23-2010, 12:00 PM
I really like the concept of negative space lids, and you've done a great job with this one. I hope you continue to explore the applications of this design. Thanks!

Michelle Rich
08-23-2010, 12:19 PM
Hi Christopher: I studied Mr. Weissflog & Mr Fein's work/art. They have never shared with the unwashed masses, the techniques they use. I have been determined to teach myself how to make pieces like theirs. It has taken over 1 year in my shop, teaching myself how to do this. Weissflog's was the easiest as it is eccentric turning. Fein's was harder as he is a machinist/metal worker /jig maker to be envied. I tried many approaches & had more failure than success. I have a corner of my shop where mistakes/failed attempts are piled up..it's rather tall to say the least. I have neither of their virtues..FEIN :a wildman with taking his ideas and making his jigs , and Weissflog: his concentration and steady hands. At this time I maybe the only person making work like Mr Fein..and some pieces I have not shared yet, may be beyond what he has produced (that I have seen) Thanks for your question & have a great day

Michelle Rich
08-23-2010, 12:22 PM
you are welcome & thank you more is acomin' !!

Christopher K. Hartley
08-23-2010, 2:57 PM
Hi Christopher: I studied Mr. Weissflog & Mr Fein's work/art. They have never shared with the unwashed masses, the techniques they use. I have been determined to teach myself how to make pieces like theirs. It has taken over 1 year in my shop, teaching myself how to do this. Weissflog's was the easiest as it is eccentric turning. Fein's was harder as he is a machinist/metal worker /jig maker to be envied. I tried many approaches & had more failure than success. I have a corner of my shop where mistakes/failed attempts are piled up..it's rather tall to say the least. I have neither of their virtues..FEIN :a wildman with taking his ideas and making his jigs , and Weissflog: his concentration and steady hands. At this time I maybe the only person making work like Mr Fein..and some pieces I have not shared yet, may be beyond what he has produced (that I have seen) Thanks for your question & have a great dayMichelle, Thank you for your response and I respect your need to keep the secret close.:)

Michelle Rich
08-23-2010, 3:12 PM
Chris: check out the book New Masters of Woodturning..both artists are in there..shows their work..Harvey Fein is especially interesting..he has a website too Harvey Fein.net

Richard Madden
08-23-2010, 4:09 PM
Nice work!! I have to go along with the crowd concerning the finial vs knob, but the customers desires are what we're trying to satisfy. I've got to check out the website you noted. Keep this up, you've got something unique going here, and I love it.

David DeCristoforo
08-23-2010, 4:37 PM
Sweet! What a great application for the negative space pieces. Perfect for those times when you want to be able to answer that nagging question that always seems to pop up... "What do you use it for?"

The finial is nice. It reminds me of a chess pawn and is perfectly useable as a knob, unlike so many finials that end in spear points!

So all in all, a very nicely executed "useful pot".

Christopher K. Hartley
08-23-2010, 4:51 PM
Chris: check out the book New Masters of Woodturning..both artists are in there..shows their work..Harvey Fein is especially interesting..he has a website too Harvey Fein.netThanks Michelle, I'll do that.:)

Pete Jordan
08-23-2010, 5:43 PM
You do wonderful work, Michelle!

Can I ask you how long it takes to make something as nice as that?

Bernie Weishapl
08-23-2010, 6:41 PM
That is a beauty Michelle. Really well done.

Curt Fuller
08-23-2010, 8:43 PM
Excellent application!

James Roberts
08-23-2010, 10:02 PM
Very unique, I love the negative space concept and I'm still trying to figure out how it's all done. For now I'll just put it down to "magic".

Van Huskey
08-24-2010, 3:26 AM
I really love that, very very cool

Michelle Rich
08-24-2010, 4:25 AM
Hi Pete: I know the large ones I have posted took 10 hrs or so..this top was easier ..the "spoke" design is the easiest to produce...(not easy, none the less) ..I'll guess the design took 2 hrs and the sanding out & cleaning up the neg space areas took 2 hrs..so 4 to make it nice..then of course the lid had other work to do on it to make the lifter.turning & measuring for the rim locator..sanding etc...plus the bowl (very soft/spalty) ..phew..