PDA

View Full Version : Newest project PICS

Mark Stutz
12-11-2004, 6:41 PM
Although sometimes my LOML doesn't believe it, I really am more than just a tool collector! :D Just to prove it...here is my latest project. Very simple,and some would argue that too many electrons were sacrificed in the process to post in this forum. It is however, the FIRST time that I have used hand planes to do the final surface. One has to start somewhere :o and I thought this was better than a tabletop! For this reason there won't be close up PICS! ;) :D

My other passion and stress reliever is golf in the summer. Over the years I have collected logo balls from various courses I have played, and finally decided I should display them.

All solid walnut. Back is resawn to 1/8. Doesn't have to be structural here. Finish is 1 coat BLO, then 3 coats of home brew...Poly/BLO/MS...but I didn't like the way it was building, so then did 3 coats of Arm-R-Seal, my new favorite finish! I had a liitle left over poly from my "early years" and decided to use it up. :( Ya never know till you try! Anyway, thanks for looking.

Mark

Ted Shrader
12-11-2004, 8:19 PM
Mark -

So, you've been out playing a little "pasture pool"? The display case came out great. Your handworked wood looks good! All in all, good project!

Regards,
Ted

Terry Hatfield
12-11-2004, 8:23 PM
Mark,

Beautiful job!!!

WOW, wwing and golf??????? You must be broke. :D

t

Joe Mioux
12-11-2004, 8:43 PM
Mark, That is a nice collection of balls (courses). The case is really nice.

Joe

P.S. Have you ever played Governors Run out here?

Pam Niedermayer
12-11-2004, 11:04 PM
Nice job. Of course you've got the old toolbox problem of where to put the new balls when collected, to say nothing of how receptive LOYL might be to such a display in the house. :)

Pam

Mark Stutz
12-11-2004, 11:08 PM
Thanks to all. It still amazes me when I see and feel the difference between a planed and sanded surface.

Joe,
I have driven by there but have not yet had the chance. I hear good things about it though. Sounds like we need to get together.

Mark

Dave Anderson NH
12-12-2004, 7:52 AM
That's a good sized choice for a first project with hand planed surfaces. I'm sure your next one will be larger, include more Neander content, and challenge you in new ways. I'm just surprised you didn't make two since that one seems already full.:D

John Dingman
12-12-2004, 8:51 AM
Very Nice Work!

That looks like it was a fun project to do, and something that you will enjoy looking at for many years.

John