PDA

View Full Version : Coring on a Delta 46-460

Jim Colombo
08-23-2010, 12:41 AM
Has anyone tried to do coring on a Delta 46-460? If so what coring system did you use?

Jim

Reed Gray
08-23-2010, 12:37 PM
McNaughton has the only coring system that was designed for the mini lathes, their 'Micro' blades. You could get some of the mini blades as well. Coring a 12 inch bowl on your lathe would be a bit difficult, but can be done. Other than that, if you want a coring system with a fixed pivoting center, the Woodcut would be the best bet for you. It is a bit more limited in the cores you can take, but simple to operate. Packard does carry the Woodcut, I think, and Craft Supplies carries both.

Oneway does make a coring tool for a 12 inch lathe, but has only one blade.

robo hippy

Jim Colombo
08-23-2010, 2:03 PM
I've turned a number of bowls in the 12" range without any difficulty but when I saw all the stress put on a lathe while doing coring I was a little hesitant to try it on my 46-460. Have you actually done some coring on the Delta or are you assuming it can be done?

Reed Gray
08-23-2010, 2:38 PM
I haven't cored on that Delta. I have cored on my Jet 1220, and on a Oneway 12 inch lathe, which has a 1 hp motor. The Oneway seemed to have more difficulty. I do have to go slower than I do on my Robust, but it does the job. I believe you have several speed ranges on the Delta, and I would switch to the lower geared pulleys for coring. You may need to ramp the speed up a bit as well. On the larger coring systems, all 3 of them, the coring cutters are about 3/8 inch wide, so if you can use a 3/8 or 1/2 inch wide scraper on them, then you can core. The micro blades are about 1/4 inch wide, and will core up to about 8 inches max (not really sure, so you should check), and the mini set of blades will core up to 12 inches. Steve Russel recommends a 'pulse' type of cut where you let the speed build up, then plunge in a bit, then ease off if it is bogging down, speed up, plunge in some more. Note, by plunge, I don't mean to jam it in, ease it into the cut.

robo hippy

Kyle Iwamoto
08-24-2010, 12:18 PM
You can do it, I have the micro system and core on my Jet mini, which is even less powerful than yours. It does take a long time, and the pulsing cutting described above works. You should have no problem with the 1 horse motor though.