PDA

View Full Version : Ash - two pieces

Mark Cothren
08-22-2010, 11:32 PM
I turned this natural edge bowl this weekend for my neighbors from whom I got the wood a couple of weeks ago.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v684/markfromark/woodturning/AshNE01-1.jpg

The second piece is a chunk of Ash that has been in the shop a while. It is a pith center cutout. I squared up the bottom and turned a recess tenon. I also left a ringed foot for it to sit on. The rest of the piece is left rough cut (chainsaw) and the bowl is only sanded thru 120. The bowl is 8" wide and about 2" deep.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v684/markfromark/woodturning/AshRectangle01.jpg

alex carey
08-22-2010, 11:37 PM
both are nice but I like the square bowl better, did you finish it with anything?

Mark Cothren
08-22-2010, 11:40 PM
I just put some oil on it and let it soak in good.

William Hutchinson
08-23-2010, 12:00 AM
The NE dark bark and contrasting pale ash is quite striking and very crisp. Well done; you neighbor should be thrilled to have such a wonderful piece.

Leo Van Der Loo
08-23-2010, 12:59 AM
I love the Ash with the bark left on best, but the rough bowl has character too, nice work and you might expect more wood from your neighbor also I think ;-))

Michelle Rich
08-23-2010, 6:32 AM
the first is my favorite. You did a great job on the balance of the rim..I love the look of this bowl!

John Keeton
08-23-2010, 7:18 AM
Mark, I love the NE bowl!! Really a beautiful contrast with the ash and bark and great form.

I like the other one, too, in a rustic sort of way. These type of bowls look very nice in the proper setting.

Mark Cothren
08-23-2010, 8:16 AM
...in a rustic sort of way. These type of bowls look very nice in the proper setting.

Yep, that's my thinkin', too. I think it would fit in a cabin, or something rustic, like you said. My daughter, however, has a big one in walnut sitting in her living room. Her home is very modern. It looks out of place to me, but she loves it. Go figger. The main thing I like about it is that it gives me something to do with chunks of wood I'd otherwise be discarding.

Roger Chandler
08-23-2010, 8:19 AM
Beautiful Natural edge bowl! Great form on it, and looks like all the bark stayed on! Thanks for sharing!

Tom Sherman
08-23-2010, 8:29 AM
Mark those are cool, Love the NE, I tried one like your rough cut once the wife asked me when I was going to finish it. She never did care for it. But other folks thought it was cool. Good stuff.

Aaron Wingert
08-23-2010, 8:51 AM
That natural edge is great. Really, really nice piece.

The other one actually has a lot of character in my opinion. I can see it serving as a key/change catcher in the foyer of a rustic home or in one of those fancy contemporary urban lofts that are becoming so popular, where they re-purpose old wood beams and leave them rough.

Tim Rinehart
08-23-2010, 10:02 AM
I have to agree with others...and not because they're "always right", but these are both very nice.
Love the natural edge, congrats on keeping it intact for thin wall bowl...and assumed summer fell of tree, which adds difficulty in it staying in tact.

I too like the second piece, and agree with the rustic nature of it. I have seen some really nice work by others that will take a piece like that, and apply a finish on the top, then turn the inside, leaving the inside 'natural wood' to contrast the stained/painted surrounding area. Just a thought as an extension to how you did that one...which is very well done on it's own.
Good shape to the 'bowl' in it as well.

Steve Schlumpf
08-23-2010, 10:13 AM
Mark - you sure got that NE style down to a science! Very nice work once again!

I like the rustic piece as well. Agree that it would work well in the proper setting. Have turned a few that are close to that style but can never hang on to them for very long. Always figured the art pieces would be in high demand - but the rustic ones seem to have just as big a following.

Thanks for sharing! Your neighbor will be thrilled with the NE!

John Keeton
08-23-2010, 10:25 AM
.....chunks of wood I'd otherwise be discarding.:eek::eek::eek: No.....please say......No!!:D:D

Mark, I do understand. I end up burning a lot of scrap simply because one cannot hang on to everything - though at times it seems I try!

David DeCristoforo
08-23-2010, 10:42 AM
I like the NE bowl.... of course I like it... it's beautiful! But the "square" bowl? I love that! This is a direction I have plans to explore a bit too. I really like the rustic simplicity. It's a masterful understatement.

Kenneth Hertzog
08-23-2010, 11:08 AM
Mark
those bowls are fantastic
I like the NE the best but the other one
also is very nice.

Here in PA we are forbiden to transport Ash wood
across county lines. It would appear that the Ash boor
is spreading and killing the ash trees. Something similar
to what happened to the chestnut tree a long time ago.
hefty fines if caught doing so. :(

Ken

Christopher K. Hartley
08-23-2010, 11:31 AM
Mark. Very nice NE. The other is a different idea, not sure how I feel about it but that is just a personal feeling, it has nothing to do with your work. Thanks for showing.:)

David E Keller
08-23-2010, 11:47 AM
That's a really nice natural edge piece. I need to take a course from you sometime on the finer points of natural edged forms.

The other piece is very interesting. I can envision it in the type of modern loft space to which Aaron alluded. I've seen similar pieces used to display candles or spheres.

Great photos as always.

Bernie Weishapl
08-23-2010, 6:56 PM
Both look great but am partial to the NE.

Chris Haas
08-23-2010, 7:54 PM
my vote is for the square one. but like said before, both are great.

Mark Cothren
08-23-2010, 9:10 PM
My feelings aren't hurt by you that don't care for the square bowl. It takes me about 30 minutes to complete one (start to finish). Like I said, it's just a way to use up some chunks of wood that I otherwise wouldn't be using.

We have some bugs that love Ash around here. I can't let it sit very long on the ground or they will eat it up. Same way with Persimmon. I'm not sure if they are the Emerald Ash Borers.

My wife ended up giving this one away today to someone besides my neighbors, so back to the woodpile and lathe I go!

James Roberts
08-23-2010, 9:45 PM
Two very nice and distinctly different pieces and I love them both. Your neighbor will certainly get a kick out of that NE bowl, such nice form and contrast in bark vs wood. The "block" is very cool and gives me ideas of trying my own. Thanks for sharing.