PDA

View Full Version : Crack in workbench leg

David Myers
08-22-2010, 10:52 PM
I'm closing in on finishing my new workbench. I've assembled the base and noticed this small crack on the shoulder and just onto the face of one of the rear legs (just to the left of the centerline on the shoulder). The leg was constructed using Chris Schwarz's 'instant tenon' method so the tenon and the shoulder pieces are two distinct boards glued together.

I glued up the leg several months ago, and it has been exposed to some temperature extremes: below freezing a few times this winter, and for the past month its usually reaching 110 degrees in the garage (ugh).

So, what to do about it? One thought is to do nothing, assemble the bench and if it lengthens down the face of the leg I could place a dutchman. Or now that the shoulder is exposed I could recess a small steel strap and secure both ends with a screw.

Thanks in advance for your help. And sorry for the cell phone pic. The good camera is away for repairs.

Chris Vandiver
08-22-2010, 11:41 PM
In would just leave it as it is. The check doesn't compromise the strength of the leg, in the least.

Tri Hoang
08-22-2010, 11:48 PM
I suppose you could epoxies the crack before assembly. Even if the crack lengthen I don't think it'd do much damage to the stability of the bench. Personally, I'd build a new leg if I have any reason to believe that more cracks would develop. Once you pin the tenons, it's a real chore to replace it.

Jerome Hanby
08-23-2010, 9:59 AM
+1 on Epoxy. I wonder if drilling a small flat bottomed hole at either end of the crack and gluing in a piece of dowel would help?

Prashun Patel
08-23-2010, 10:04 AM
Since it's not much effort, I'd just drill a 1/2" hole in the center of the check and glue in a 3/4" dowel.

Honesltly, though, since the piece is face glued to the 'tenon' piece in the center, it's probably plenty stable and won't check much more.

Bob Vallaster
08-23-2010, 10:12 AM
I'm with Chris. It is a workbench, after all. Think of it as character.

BobV

Frank Drew
08-23-2010, 11:53 AM
drill a 1/2" hole in the center of the check and glue in a 3/4" dowel.

:confused:.

Prashun Patel
08-23-2010, 12:09 PM
:confused:.

Fixed. Thanks!!!