PDA

View Full Version : Power washing roofs

Greg Peterson
08-22-2010, 9:40 PM
So, in the past couple of years I've seen a couple instances where someone has gone up on their shingled roof and cleaned it with a power washer. To me, this seems like a bad idea.

Even on a relatively light setting the user is still removing grit from the shingle and potentially forcing water into the shingle itself. Maybe I have it all wrong.

What says the rest of you? Any roofers care to recommend proper roof care?

Joe Pelonio
08-22-2010, 9:47 PM
We pay a guy with spiky shoes to do ours, but it's cedar shake. He will NOT do composition for the reason you gave. He does them with a gas leaf blower and treats for moss but that's it.

Jim A. Moore
08-22-2010, 10:02 PM
I've power washed my carport roof. I first ran some test on sample shingles. I didn't see a huge difference in the coating afterwards. I was careful to use a wide angle nozzle and only got close enough to the shingles to clean.

The roof looks much better and I've not noticed any leaks as of yet. I didn't notice a significant increase in grit in the gutter.

As with many procedures if you are careful it will probably work ok and give good results. But you mileage may vary.

Clean only from the peak down toward the edge of the roof. Never spray up the rod as this will lift the shingles. This may damage the shingles or force water between shingles.

Finally, being up on a roof is inherently dangerous. Especially with a pressure gun and water laden hose. Never turn your back on the edge of the roof. You may want to consider additional safety equipment.

Paul Brinkmeyer
08-22-2010, 10:14 PM
Finally, being up on a roof is inherently dangerous. Especially with a pressure gun and water laden hose. Never turn your back on the edge of the roof. You may want to consider additional safety equipment.

Is this what "Water wings" are for?

Jim O'Dell
08-22-2010, 10:26 PM
My shop vac is one of the Ridgid convertible units that the motor pulls off and you can use it as an electric leaf blower. That's what I use on our roof to clear the long stingy pecan "flowers" and leaves that collect in the valleys. Works pretty good. Not sure I'd want a gas powered back pack type walking around the roof. My balance isn't as good as it used to be. The hand held ones would be fine. Jim.

Mitchell Andrus
08-23-2010, 8:20 AM
In NJ at least, there was a guy cleaning roofs with a green detergent and a purpose-built washer on wheels. The whole operation was done from the ground with ropes and a helper. It was similar to a pool cleaner but could be steered. I never saw it in action but the results were amazing.

Greg Peterson
08-23-2010, 10:00 PM
Okay. I was just wondering if I'm missing some great trick.

Mitchell Andrus
08-24-2010, 12:44 AM
Okay. I was just wondering if I'm missing some great trick.

There was a magician at the Sands last year.... He did this trick where he levitated above the audience while juggling flaming waitresses, blindfolded.

It was a great trick. Sorry you missed it.

Greg Peterson
08-24-2010, 10:09 AM
Yeah, thanks Mitchell. The point is that if I don't know about it, then I'm not missing it. Got it?

Now I have to spend the rest of my day - including two commutes sans sixty mile grid lock - and a full day at work with the image of a magician floating above the audience juggling flaming waitresses.

How does he do that? Hmmmm. Wish I had seen that. Darn it!