PDA

View Full Version : Man Made / Engineered Veneer

richard poitras
08-22-2010, 9:31 PM
I was reading on other forum a post on Man Made/Engineered Veneer. Has anybody used any of this veneer? And if so where can you buy it? And what are your thoughts?

In my search on the web I did not bring up much information on it. Does anyone know anything about this new material and how it compares to regular veneer?

Richard

Stephen Saar
08-23-2010, 12:04 AM
Shop notes had an article on this exact thing this month. It looked pretty interesting, and from the photos it did appear hard to tell the difference between the real veneer the engineer stuff, but I've never seen any of it in person so it's hard to be sure. You might want to pick the magazine up for this month, the article was pretty decent.

-Stephen

george wilson
08-23-2010, 9:41 AM
Google it. Plenty of info.

Frank Drew
08-23-2010, 10:40 AM
Richard,

I've only seen it in photos, not in person, but from the pictures I've seen it appears for the most part fairly ordinary -- mass-produced veneer maybe best suited for mass-produced cabinets or millwork? Perhaps there are folks here who use it and like it, but if I'm going to go the the trouble to veneer a piece I'd like to use something special to veneer it with.

richard poitras
08-23-2010, 1:09 PM
Richard,

I've only seen it in photos, not in person, but from the pictures I've seen it appears for the most part fairly ordinary -- mass-produced veneer maybe best suited for mass-produced cabinets or millwork? Perhaps there are folks here who use it and like it, but if I'm going to go the the trouble to veneer a piece I'd like to use something special to veneer it with.

Frank I was thinking more for the back sides of pannels to equal out the front side when veneering.

Thomas S Stockton
08-23-2010, 3:03 PM
I used some of the wenge but had a bunch of sheets pressed up by a shop. Looked like the real deal and cheaper and you couldn't tell the difference. I also will tell you these were not ordinary cabinets but a very high end job.
Certainlywood carries some as do a bunch of other places. I did get a little of the raw material and it seemed kinda fragile since it wanted to split along the grain when handled.
I don't think you would save any money using it for backer veneer but depending on what your doing you could.
Tom

Van Huskey
08-23-2010, 3:56 PM
I have used some Zebrano and it was nice if not a little fragile. It looks like high quality Zebrano with long resonably straight figure which is hard to get in Zebrano, I did some MCM pieces that it looked great on.

Jamie Buxton
08-23-2010, 5:47 PM
I've used man-made riftsawn wenge. Real wenge is darn expensive, so man-made can save you some money. I thought it looked pretty good. Not as good as nature-made, but okay.