PDA

View Full Version : What's in a name?

Jim Silva
08-22-2010, 6:10 PM
Having recently been working on updates to my website and finding a certain, shall we say, inelegance in describing something as "A V-shaped bowl" and seeing a recent post of "A tall, skinny thing", I began to wonder if anyone has knowledge of reference material that would give general shape names.

A brief Google search yielded unsatisfactory results other than classical Greek pottery shape names such as the usual Amphorae, Kraters, Lebes, etc., that while wonderful and serviceable names, don't quite cut the mustard, form-wise.

I'm fairly sure that some additional shape names exist but I'm at a loss as to what to try to search for. "A squatty, pitted box-like thingy with bulbous protrusions and a wiggly footie bit" lacks a certain panache as far as I'm concerned. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Yours in form if not substance
Jim

David DeCristoforo
08-22-2010, 6:44 PM
The closest thing I can thing of for something with more "panache" than "tall skinny thing" would be a "tulip vase". Search for that and you will see the basic form presented in many different ways... vases, lamp shades, etc. Most of the Greek forms you mention are referred to more often in bowls, larger vases and hollow forms. However, I personally like "A squatty, pitted box-like thingy with bulbous protrusions and a wiggly footie bit". I think it has plenty of panache...

John Hart
08-22-2010, 6:54 PM
hmmm...interesting question. Although, I've never given any weight to using the "proper" terminology. I sorta consider woodturning to be a fun thing....so fun names seem to work for me.

Just this morning I roughed out a "Big 'ol Fat Butter Bowl"

Kinda rings..don't it?:)

Curt Fuller
08-22-2010, 7:32 PM
Myself, "Tall Skinny Thing" and "Big 'ol Fat Butter Bowl", are terms I understand. Conversation is a little like playing catch. If you keep throwing the ball over my head I'm gonna get tired of shaggin it pretty quick. I'd keep the terminology simple and let the turning do the talking.

Bernie Weishapl
08-22-2010, 10:07 PM
John that is scary that I understand exactly that terminology. I agree with Curt. Just keep it simple.

David E Keller
08-22-2010, 10:25 PM
Jim, why describe them at all? Isn't that what the pictures are for? I can understand providing materials, dimensions, and perhaps finish, but I don't find someone telling me that something is a vase helps me to appreciate it even more. Just my thoughts.

When in doubt, just call it a 'piece'... It's a nice, artsy term that covers a lot of ground.:D

Michael James
08-22-2010, 11:03 PM
...."A squatty, pitted box-like thingy with bulbous protrusions and a wiggly footie bit" Jim

Jim is that copyrighted? Cuz if not I want to use it, but Im still stuck on the wiggly footie bit..:D:eek::D
mj

Michelle Rich
08-23-2010, 6:38 AM
Recently I posted a Hans Weissflog design on another forum. I named it Big Round Thingy. (I just could not think of anything else!) I had folks say, I LIKE THE NAME..you coulda called it Crop Circles, or fireballs on the horizon or other nonsense..they just liked Big Round Thingy. So what's in a name? Heck if I know!

Jim Silva
08-23-2010, 9:15 AM
Jim is that copyrighted? Cuz if not I want to use it, but Im still stuck on the wiggly footie bit..:D:eek::D
mj
You may have it with my blessings lol.

I have any number of turnings I've labeled as "Cherry Whatsit" or "Three Footed Thingy with Half Sphere Bowl" and the like. Hell, in my musician days I invented the "Gizmotron 2000", a sound processing device that literally did less than nothing. Sold half a dozen of 'em to other musicians who liked having sound gear with a lot of flashing lights and levers even knowing that it did nothing. (We like shiny things)

I just figured if there was an accepted shape name for something, I'd like to utilize it.

Jim

Jim Underwood
08-23-2010, 9:29 AM
Well you could just name it with one of those deep sounding pseudo-metaphysical "Art" titles....

Then you could put a high price tag on it and show it in galleries...;)

David DeCristoforo
08-23-2010, 10:54 AM
"When in doubt, just call it a 'piece'... It's a nice, artsy term that covers a lot of ground..."

Yes. And it's a very versatile word as well. It can have so many meanings... I have often looked at something I have made and thought "What a piece." Then into the trashcan it goes!

David E Keller
08-23-2010, 12:05 PM
"When in doubt, just call it a 'piece'... It's a nice, artsy term that covers a lot of ground..."

Yes. And it's a very versatile word as well. It can have so many meanings... I have often looked at something I have made and thought "What a piece." Then into the trashcan it goes!

LOL... So true, sadly... Most of my pieces are pieces lately.