PDA

View Full Version : Removing Paint From Galvanized Steel

Keith Starosta
08-22-2010, 4:51 PM
My FIL just gave me an old cabinet that he wasn't using in his shop. I plan to do some refurb work, and turn it into a great storage unit in MY shop. It is a fully-insulated, galvanized steel "tray locker", the kind that were formerly used in industrial kitchens to store sheet pans full of food. It's about 6'H x 24"W x 36"D. It's actually in really good shape overall. The only thing it needs is a paint job. A lot of the old paint has already peeled off, but there is still a significant amount still there. I want to strip it down completely to the bare galvanized steel. I'm looking for the best way to remove this old paint.

My FIL suggested I take my power washer to it, but I'm not sure that's the best way to go about it. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Keith

mickey cassiba
08-22-2010, 5:33 PM
I've had pretty good luck with a heat gun. Stay away from harsh stripper...damhik
Mick

Tony Bilello
08-22-2010, 7:34 PM
a light sandblasting with strained sand box sand.

Roger Newby
08-22-2010, 7:43 PM
If it's galvanized you need to be careful with the heat gun, zinc poisoning from the fumes won't kill you :eek: but you'll wish you could die if it's severe enough. Been there. Maybe a commercial stripper would be a better choice.

Andrew Nemeth
08-22-2010, 8:56 PM
a light sandblasting with strained sand box sand.

+1 on sandblasting. You will need to repaint because you will end up takeing the galvanized surface off.

ian maybury
08-22-2010, 9:04 PM
Blasting doesn't sound like the plan for the above reasons. +3 on zinc making you feel very sick if you breathe fumes.

The problem with painting over galvanising or zinc plating is usually that the paint falls off on it's own - it gives very poor adhesion.

I don't know what the fix is, but it's possible there's purpose made primers that get a bite - maybe something like the etching primers that cut through the oxide layer in the case of aluminium...

fred marcuson
08-22-2010, 9:18 PM
try the power washer first , if it doesn't work you haven't lost anything . if it leaves some paint , try a mild stripper .