PDA

View Full Version : Another tall skinny thing.

David DeCristoforo
08-22-2010, 4:45 PM
These are addicting! I'm thinking "goblet" but end up with something that makes me think of flowers. I'm giving this one to my wife. It's a small piece of maple burl with some interesting colors. Inside is dyed a dark red. The stem is walnut, dyed black and then sanded back and dyed with red to pick up some of the color of the inside. This is about as delicate as I can get at my current level of ability. It's 9" tall and 4.5 at the widest.

Steve Schlumpf
08-22-2010, 5:25 PM
Now we're talking! Beautiful form! Great looking wood and I really like your use of color on certain areas as opposed to the entire thing!

Your wife is going to love this! Very impressive work David! Thanks for sharing!

gary Zimmel
08-22-2010, 5:40 PM
That is one cool looking "tall skinny thing" David!
Brownie points galore for this one I bet. Love the form and what you did with the dyes.
Very nice indeed....

David E Keller
08-22-2010, 6:05 PM
That's great. Lot's of neat little details. My favorite part of it is the way you turned down the top of the pedestal... I think that's partly why is has a floral quality. Your wife's a lucky lady(bet she doesn't hear that often!:eek::D)

John Hart
08-22-2010, 6:09 PM
Holy Smokes....That is pure beauty there David. The stem has great balance and compliments the piece over all. The Flower (And I agree it's a flower, not a goblet) has great form all by itself. The raindrop at the bottom of the stem is GREAT.

Nicely done.

Roger Chandler
08-22-2010, 6:16 PM
David,

That is a truly exquisite form! I love the color, and the stem is just a masterpiece! You did a wonderful expression of style, color and form all in one distinctive turning.

This is a fine example of the use of dyes...........

I think there is another artist in our midst.........when do we hear about your first show? :)

Steve LaFara
08-22-2010, 6:47 PM
Bee-u-ti-full!!!!!!!! As I'm new to the turning thing, I'm curious how the two pieces are attached? Did you glue together and turn as one piece or do the two separatly and then glue together? I have to try this!!! Since I am limited to a 3.5" swing, these are the types of items that I can try to hone my skills until I can afford a bigger lathe.

Thanks for sharing!

David DeCristoforo
08-22-2010, 7:06 PM
"...how the two pieces are attached...glue together and turn as one piece or do the two separately..."

Turned separately. I have a cone shaped live center and a collet chuck. I turn a small tenon on the bottom of the "vase" section before it's parted off. A corresponding hole is drilled in the top of the stem and then the cone center is brought into play with the other end of the stem held in the collet chuck by means of another tenon. I learned the hard way that you gotta drill that hole in the top of the stem before you turn it!!! And I also learned the hard way that you really do need to make that hole the correct size!

I'm finding that these delicate turnings are almost more interesting than making larger pieces although both have their challenges. Working with such thin walls and spindles requires patience and a light touch, neither of which have been what you would call "DD's strong points". So the process, for me, involves learning much more than technique.

Another thing I like about these smaller pieces is that it's a lot easier to find "dry, ready to turn" pieces of wood! I have a shop full of fine bits of wood but very little of it would make good "turning stock". And, while I am "learning patience", it's nice to not have to wait forever for wood to dry before you can turn another piece!

Faust M. Ruggiero
08-22-2010, 7:08 PM
David,
A couple months ago you were putting up the tent in your back yard and talking about getting back into turning. Now you're producing work that rivals the best. I think John Keeton has been a good influence on your artistic side. Watching you two dream up ever more delicate and imaginative tall stemmed burl creations is going to be a lot of fun.
faust

William Hutchinson
08-22-2010, 7:13 PM
Very lovely piece, the turning and stem are exquisite. Your wife will treasure this-well till she get another one that will surely be even better. Your talents are quickly developing and each of your works shows a refined level of skills.

Now that your dancing amongst the artists, you're gonna have to start naming your creations; "tall skinny thing" makes me think of a skewers.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y66/wlhutch/th_Skewers-x-men.jpg (http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y66/wlhutch/Skewers-x-men.jpg)

Dee Gallo
08-22-2010, 7:18 PM
David, I've been lurking and reading posts trying to find out what this turning thing is all about. This is the kind of piece that sucks people into the vortex, I think! I'm mesmerized.

Absolutely gorgeous piece, thank you for posting such inspirational work.

cheers, dee

Tom Sherman
08-22-2010, 7:22 PM
Very nice DD, your forms are coming along at an accelerated rate and looking great to boot.

David DeCristoforo
08-22-2010, 7:24 PM
"..."tall skinny thing" makes me think of a skewers...."

Hey... Wolverine... that gives me an idea... just think... built in turning tools right at your fingertips! For now, let's just call it "Flower#1" because I want to do more exploring with these. K?

Curt Fuller
08-22-2010, 7:25 PM
Man Mr. D! What ever happened to the learning curve, apprenticeship, and all those kinds of things. I have to say that this has it all, design, turning skills, and you even made that dye thing look good. Very, very nice!

Steve Mawson
08-22-2010, 7:29 PM
From the looks of this piece I believe you talent is doing quite well. I can only hope to progress to your level. I guess the first thing would be to try one of these "tall skinny things". Very nice piece.

David DeCristoforo
08-22-2010, 7:31 PM
I have to say I am flattered by all of these comments. Most of you are artisans whose work I have admired and been inspired by. So, for me, this is high praise indeed. Thanx...

Jeff Nicol
08-22-2010, 7:36 PM
Dave, I have to say that is a very nice piece of art! You have done yourself proud! I guess the steady rest did not come into play on that delicate tall skinny thingy!

I have to put my mind back on track everytime I see someone write DD, I guess my heart still beats!

Great job,

Jeff

Ron Bontz
08-22-2010, 7:42 PM
Beautiful piece. I'm jealous. :)

Andy Hoyt
08-22-2010, 7:48 PM
Well whatever you call it, it sure isn't a Big 'ol Fat Butter Bowl.

Bravo.

David DeCristoforo
08-22-2010, 8:13 PM
"...I guess the steady rest did not come into play..."

Well, not on this one. But never fear... I got some chunks out there in the tent that are going to be spinning inside that thing before long...

John Keeton
08-22-2010, 8:56 PM
David, I missed this one!!! Fantastic job, and as you know, just the kind of piece I love. Like you, I enjoy the smaller, multi-piece turnings, and I much more enjoy turning dry wood than wet.

The burl and color is perfect, and I like the elements of the pedestal, and the idea of picking up on the red tones.

Really a very nice piece!!

David DeCristoforo
08-22-2010, 9:20 PM
"I much more enjoy turning dry wood than wet."

I do have a number of really nice larger pieces that I'm going to try the DNA treatment on. One piece in particular is an 8X8X12 piece of incredible Rose myrtle that I'm chafing at the bit to do something with...

Leo Van Der Loo
08-22-2010, 9:26 PM
Very nice delicate looking piece DD :)
Now a multi stemmed bouquet would be good next step I suggest :)

Baxter Smith
08-22-2010, 9:31 PM
Very nice in all respects. I would say "you have got it!"

Richard Madden
08-22-2010, 9:37 PM
Excellent job! Form, proportions, finish all look great. You did good. Thanks for showing.

Michelle Rich
08-22-2010, 9:51 PM
I've had trouble with SMC& my computer today..Steve helped and we finally got 'er fixed..after all that, I clicked on this & WHAT A REWARD for all the work..It's a stunner! A beauty..

William Hutchinson
08-22-2010, 10:03 PM
One piece in particular is an 8X8X12 piece of incredible Rose myrtle that I'm chafing at the bit to do something with...

You might consider the Rose Myrtle for entry in the Fall Turning Contest- except you can't name it, 'chafing fat rose thing.':D

David DeCristoforo
08-22-2010, 10:20 PM
"...you can't name it, 'chafing fat rose thing..."

Well... there goes that idea...

Bernie Weishapl
08-22-2010, 10:42 PM
Beautiful piece David. Really well done.

Michael James
08-22-2010, 10:58 PM
David,
That's pretty darned delicate there, buddy. And with a very artistic flair. I think it will be a while before I can exhuast the possibilities on my small lathe, but I know Im not ready to start with the finials. Im still working on making a chunk of wood into a nice object, just sitting on itsownself. (texanese)
Great Job!!!
mj

Ken Glass
08-22-2010, 11:10 PM
David,
I don't know how I missed this one. WOW. What a stunning piece. Very well proportioned and a very delicate touch on the pedestal. You should be very happy with this wonderful piece. Well Done!