PDA

View Full Version : New (to me :-)) Aggazani 24in (cont of GO636X thread)

ian maybury
08-22-2010, 4:29 PM
Hi guys. Van H asked me on the other thread to post some photos of the used Aggazani NRA 600 (seems identical to the US B-24 model apart from motor differences) i've just bought, so here goes below.

The saw really looks big in my smallish shop. I'm mid remodelling - replumbing (proper heating), rewiring, upgrading the lighting and installing a Pentz dust system, so everything is pushed back out of the way.

Having found i couldn't resaw like i wanted on the higher end hobby saw i had for years, I spent quite a while with the help of some of you guys sizing up the OAV Taiwan (Grizzly's source) made heavy duty 21 and 24in saws sold by Holzkraft in Germany - so thanks again for your help. In the end i hadn't got enough factual information on the resaw capability of these models to commit by the time the Agazzani came along.

I'd actually have gone with a Grizzly GO636X by now because they are sold specifically as resaw optimised and are getting very good reviews, but there was no similar saw to be had over here that i could find. (Europe)

I had a call last week from a guy closing down his kitchen business with a far better offer on the Agazzani i've bought (nicely less than a new 21in Holzkraft) - so i jumped at it. The price was out of my reach two months ago when we first spoke. It's sad how many got in trouble over here with the collapse of the property bubble though.

The saw is about 1 1/2 years old, and came through the UK importer. It's so far as i can tell pretty much spotless and has done very little work. The only problem i've found is some marking of the thrust guides which will need to be replaced.

Quite apart from feeling great about finally having put the matter to bed it's in one way a bit of a relief, in that the Agazzani is so uniformly well regarded that it's removed a lot of the risk from the situation. Jesse's willingness to be factual and specific with information about the saw made it much easier too.

It's even got a bit more capacity (17in resaw) than what i'd been looking at, and should be saleable should the need arise too.

Should anybody be searching for info on parts of the saw and doesn't have physical access to one i'd be happy to photograph and post whatever is needed. Just ask. (i know the feeling - 4.00pm yesterday was the first time i set eyes on one)

The first two pics are of my saw, but the resaw photo is just for future inspiration ;) - it came from Jesse Barragan at Eagle Tools who very kindly helped me with some information last week.

ian

Van Huskey
08-22-2010, 7:13 PM
Thanks!

YOU SUCK!

You got quite a saw there!

ian maybury
08-22-2010, 7:31 PM
Happy to oblige Van! ;)

ian

Paul McGaha
08-22-2010, 9:44 PM
Congratulations on the new band saw Ian.

You suck.

PHM

Jacob Mac
08-22-2010, 10:48 PM
That is really nice. Congratulations.

Eiji Fuller
08-23-2010, 2:32 AM
Nice one Ian! you really do SUCK.

If the marking or grooves on the thrust bushings arent too deep then you can just sand them out.

ian maybury
08-23-2010, 7:29 AM
Ta guys. I've a month or two of hard work to get the shop ready, but i'm really looking forward to working with it. It makes the old 14/16 in (?) approx Scheppach Basato 5-4 i had feel like a bit of a toy.

The thrust guides are pretty much shot Eiji - burned, and with grooves a few mm deep.

It's off to sort blades, power and parts in the coming weeks, and hopefully it will work fine. It had only a worn out 6tpi 1/2 in blade in it, so i couldn't really test it beyond running it to check for vibration, function of switches etc.

I really meant what i said about thanks to you all. Quite apart from the credit due to posting individuals the site is a fantastic resource. The 'US' approach that has seen high end bandsaws with carbide blades move into the lighter end of the resaw space is so far as i can tell not much taken over here - but the site made it possible for me to realise what can be done, and to then research the approach, and to gain fairly decent sense of the pros and cons of saws, blades, set ups, accessories, suppliers and methods.

The saw like most over here was for example bought for cutting profiles in 3/4 or 1in stock while making kitchens - i don't think the owner had any sense of its capability. I've gone for it for the flexibility and savings that being able to resaw and rip near sized stuff like drawer fronts, sides and bottoms from solid stock should bring. I also have some plans for furniture from the solid incorporating curves - which may entail starting from fairly heavy stock, and making lots of curved cuts. e.g. as you might do in making the blank for a Queen Anne leg, but contemporary in this case.

ian

PS On suckdom. NOW i get it on 'gloats'. (i'm bit old to naturally understand the concept) If you have to suck you might as well get your money's worth by really sticking it to all and sundry... :)

Dave Lewis
08-31-2010, 10:07 PM
Looks impressssive.

That saw does look big - how big is the table?

Is the dust collection port effective?

Ken Fitzgerald
08-31-2010, 10:17 PM
Congratulations Ian on purchasing an impressive saw! I bought a different saw but like you I got a quality one. May it serve you well!