PDA

View Full Version : Thump starting my Unisaw

Greg Bender
08-22-2010, 3:25 PM
I figured I'd update this post to let unisaw owners know what I found.It started with the fact that my X-5 started with a wicked , instanteous thump when starting and I figured something was not right.WEll I got it back together and I believe everything I found contributed to the overall problem.
In a nutshell,I had two loose set screws that were loctited in but only one was seated on the key stock that happened to be 3/4" shorter than the pulley and a 1/4" shorter than the distance from setscrew to setscrew.This in turn allowed the pulley to roll the keystock in its slot creating alot of slop that was not taken up till the motor was already up to speed.I got it together today with new bearings,one was bad,new key stock,broached a new keyway in the pulley,and put everything back as it should be and now it starts like it should.Being an X-5 and assuming because of it's age that it probably had not been taken apart I was surprised at the Quality??? of how it was assembled.Hope this helps somebody.
Greg