PDA

View Full Version : Gorilla Glue on Pepper Mill Mechanism

Shane Sura
08-22-2010, 3:06 PM
All...having a problem with a pepper mill I made. The bottom mechanism is turning while in the base making it impossible to grind pepper. The only way I can see is to glue he grind mechanism to the mill itself. So the question turns to which glue. I was thinking about gorilla glue as it is very good stuff but I am worried about the pepper corns coming in contact with the glue. While the contact will be minimal there is no way to ensure there will be no contact. What do people feel is the risk with Gorilla glue and pepper corns coming in contact?

Shane

David DeCristoforo
08-22-2010, 3:16 PM
I would not use Gorilla glue, not because of any concerns about it contaminating my pepper but because it tends to foam up and could get messy. I would use epoxy. Once it hardens, there is little chance of it "migrating" into your pepper...

Jerry Marcantel
08-22-2010, 3:16 PM
Shane, I'm not an expert on pepper mills and such, but there should be something with the mechanism to keep it from turning, like screws and a strap that goes across the grinder to keep it in the wood you turned. What kind of grinder did you get, (brand)?.....Jerry (in Tucson)

philip labre
08-22-2010, 4:07 PM
On Crushgrind mechanisms I've been using 5 minute epoxy. Rough up the mechanism with sandpaper so the plastic has some tooth. I've also been test fitting before trimming off the tabs as instructed, because the bottom portion has been press fitting without trimming.

Greg Just
08-22-2010, 5:35 PM
I'm with Philip. I grind the tabs off and use epoxy. Never had a problem.

Ted Calver
08-22-2010, 5:36 PM
I use 5 minute epoxy on crush grind mechanisms. You could also run a small brass set screw through the side into the plastic mechanism to keep it from turning.

bob svoboda
08-22-2010, 6:42 PM
I only do crush-grinds and I use a slow setting epoxy. My belief is that it will last longer than the 5 minute stuff (no definitive research to prove this, but haven't had a failure yet).

Shane Sura
08-22-2010, 7:10 PM
Thanks guys. It is a crush grind mechanism and I have never needed to secure it before this one. No real clue why perhaps it was slight off. It is really hard to push in but once in when it has pepper in it moves. So looks like 5 Knute epoxy it is. Any favorite brands out there or just whatever is on the hard ward shelf?

Shane

Steve Kubien
08-22-2010, 11:09 PM
i wouldn't touch a polyurethane glue because of the way it expands. Use epoxy. I've made dozens and never had a problem.

Clint Baxter
08-23-2010, 7:24 AM
Thanks guys. It is a crush grind mechanism and I have never needed to secure it before this one. No real clue why perhaps it was slight off. It is really hard to push in but once in when it has pepper in it moves. So looks like 5 Knute epoxy it is. Any favorite brands out there or just whatever is on the hard ward shelf?

Shane

I had a friend give me some of the Gorilla 5-minute epoxy and have been quite happy with it's performance. Don't think you can really go much wrong here though.

Good Luck

Clint