PDA

View Full Version : Delta 28-180 Bandsaw 8"

Eric Wheeler
08-22-2010, 10:15 AM
Hey Guys,

I found an 8" (I believe benchtop) Delta bandsaw while browsing. They want $30. Was wondering if it'd be worth that and how useful it may be compared to a bigger free standing bandsaw. I guess what else would help me out is telling me some of your most common uses for your bandsaw. So I can see if I even really need one.

Matt Logana
08-22-2010, 1:37 PM
I honesty wouldnt. It seems too small to cut anything but coasters.

UNLESS its a 3 wheel model.

John McClanahan
08-22-2010, 1:57 PM
The 3 wheel models tend to have a short blade life before breaking. The small diameter wheels cause excessive flexing.

John

William Falberg
08-22-2010, 3:42 PM
"The 3 wheel models tend to have a short blade life before breaking."
Wrong

" The small diameter wheels cause excessive flexing."
Wrong

I'm betting you never empirically tested either supposition so don't perpetuate old wives tales like that. The OP might have some real fun playing with a lightweight saw; for $30. He'll learn more about bandsaws with a $30 deal than you know now.

If you're going to compare apples to oranges you should at least consider the quantitative facts before making qualitative judgments.

Don Whitten
08-22-2010, 4:07 PM
I sold my Delta bench top for $75 this summer at my garage sale.

Matt Logana
08-22-2010, 4:18 PM
The 3 wheel models tend to have a short blade life before breaking. The small diameter wheels cause excessive flexing.

John

Short blade life, but, thats the only way you will be able to get any capacity out of that scrawny thing....

I still dont recommend it... save up and get a Delta, even a Reliant... 14"

Just found this: an example of a 14" you can get for just a tad more: http://providence.craigslist.org/tls/1912995862.html

An old Rockwell, and the icing on that cake... $70..

John McClanahan
08-22-2010, 8:30 PM
I have owned 2 of the 10" Craftsman 3 wheel band saws. I don't own them anymore. I now own a 12" 2 wheel saw. i also use a 20" at work. Maybe I don't know. Tell me more.

John