PDA

View Full Version : Scrub Oak Hollowform

Curt Fuller
08-22-2010, 1:07 AM
This is 6" wide by 5" tall and turned from a scrub (Gambel) oak root ball. The last picture shows the HF upside down which is how the root would have been oriented while in the ground. I've collected several of these roots. They're old, cracked and weathered, with some nice natural color, but hard as concrete to turn. I would have liked this to have a smaller opening in the top but the wood just kept breaking away. It's got some Watco danish oil to bring out the color and then sealed with spray can lacquer. Still needs a little more sanding and a couple coats of lacquer but I had the camera out so I too pics as is.
Hollowed with my Ernie Nyvall hollowing system. It really does a nice job and made the inside look pretty good.

David Walser
08-22-2010, 1:39 AM
Curt,

I love that hollow form. It's a very attractive and interesting piece of art.

David E Keller
08-22-2010, 2:05 AM
That's great, Curt. This type of turning is one of my favorites... Beautiful wood with lots of voids and natural edges. Thanks for posting it.

Jeff Nicol
08-22-2010, 6:15 AM
Curt, I have a root ball on the lathe right now! It is black cherry and does not have all the missing componets as this one does! It is fun, but scary at times turning so much air! Great job and will look good in a collection somewhere!

Jeff

John Keeton
08-22-2010, 7:16 AM
Curt, it may be a challenge to turn, but those scrub oak root balls you use just have some remarkable character!! Has to be worth the effort for you, even if it does look like it is ready to explode at any second!!:eek:

I love this one!

John Hart
08-22-2010, 7:52 AM
That Nyall Hollowing System is a blessing for sure. Curt...you've convinced me that I can turn some scary burls that I've had laying around for quite a while. This piece is just great. Nicely done.:)

Bill Bulloch
08-22-2010, 7:55 AM
The thought of turning that scares me to death. Great job.

Steve Schlumpf
08-22-2010, 9:53 AM
You are getting pretty good at this hollow form thing! Great job on keeping this one together!

Pretty wood! Love the wild look! This one sure grabs and holds your attention! Definitely needs to be on display where lots of folks can appreciate it!

Very nice work Curt! Thanks for sharing!

Christopher K. Hartley
08-22-2010, 9:55 AM
Curt, as usual, Great Work and it's OAK. What more needs to be said!:)

Bernie Weishapl
08-22-2010, 10:30 AM
That is a beautiful piece Curt. I really like the interesting character of it. Nicely done.

David DeCristoforo
08-22-2010, 12:00 PM
Woah! That's more air than wood! It reminds me of those pictures you see of ancient ruins. It's almost surreal.

Tom Sherman
08-22-2010, 12:04 PM
Pretty awesome piece Curt. Looks like some serious pucker factor in that one.

Mark Hubl
08-22-2010, 1:33 PM
Nice piece Curt. I love these pieces with all the voids, but I would be a little scared to try one myself!

Curt Fuller
08-22-2010, 3:35 PM
Thanks for all the comments everyone!

This type of form with the irregular wood and voids tends to look more difficult than it is. I wouldn't recommend someone turn one as their first hollowform but once you get comfortable using hollowing tools the voids can actually make it easier. You can actually see the cutter on the hollowing tool doing its thing as the wood spins.

Thanks again.

James Roberts
08-22-2010, 9:39 PM
Curt, do you drive a nitroglycerin truck as a day job??!!:eek: That looks scary to me even if you say it's not so bad. Beautiful work on a great and challenging piece of wood.

Thomas Canfield
08-22-2010, 9:56 PM
Curt,

That is an amazing piece. It sure looks like there is a lot of cracks along with the open air space that would keep the pucker factor pretty high. Glad to see you got it completed. It will make a poor popcorn bowl, but a great conversation piece.

Michelle Rich
08-23-2010, 7:02 AM
better you than I...As I think this thru..you take natures holes, and I make holes in mine...not so different or scary now that I look at it that way!!! Nifty .

Pete Jordan
08-24-2010, 4:12 PM
Curt,

You are a lot braver than I!

I got hit by a broken bowl last week and am a little gun shy.