PDA

View Full Version : Recent work

Jason Clark2
08-21-2010, 11:17 PM
I have 2 shows coming up in the fall so I've been trying to finish some new work lately.

First is a pair of Maple hollow forms that have been burned. Approx 3" X 2" and 2 1/4" X 2"

Next is a nested set of Olive. The largest is approx 11" X 4". Checks and voids were filled with epoxy and coffee grounds.

Third is an Olive Hollow form. Approx 7" X 4".

Last is a Spalted Palo Verde hollow form. Approx. 9" X 9". Its bottom comes to a point that it rounded off so it won't sit flat on a surface. I turned a small doughnut from the same wood to act as a base.

Comments and critiques welcome.

Thanks,
Jason

David E Keller
08-21-2010, 11:26 PM
WOW! That's a fantastic collection of turnings you got there.

I love the pyrography pattern on the first pairing... I'm not sure I've seen that before, and it's really a nice pattern.

The nested olive bowls are beautiful. It's hard to beat nice curves and gorgeous wood.

Both of the hollow forms are nice as well.

Good luck on the upcoming shows.

Bernie Weishapl
08-21-2010, 11:29 PM
You have been busy. Really nice turnings for sure. I like the nested bowls.

Michael James
08-21-2010, 11:58 PM
Looks familiar,yet original and very nice work. Best of luck!
Michael

Joe Herrmann
08-22-2010, 12:20 AM
I'm visiting family in AZ this week and attended the AZ Woodturners Association meeting this afternoon as a visitor. I had the honor of seeing this work in person and the photos (while good) do not do justice to these pieces. They are fantastic, especially the hollow forms. The large one is spectacular and I really like the donut base. The pyrography on the two smaller ones is great and the medium sized one is uniform in thickness and extremely thin. Very nice job overall.

Very nice job Jason and nice meeting you.

Joe

Curt Fuller
08-22-2010, 12:56 AM
Wow, all 4 pieces are beauties. I really like the design on the burned vases and that set of nested olive bowls is nice too. Good luck with the show!

David Walser
08-22-2010, 1:44 AM
I, too, had the chance to see these pieces at our club meeting today. Jason always does nice work, but these were particularly fine. My favorite were the two small hollow forms. I don't usually like a lot of surface embellishments, but these were exceptions to that rule.

I was embarrassed by the comparison to my meager contribution to our instant gallery (a bottle stopper). I've been putting a lot of hours in at work so I felt good that I'd been able to turn some pens (for the pen exchange) and get the bottle stopper done, but Jason's got a young family and has found time to get into the shop every day for the last year. Not only that, he's posted about it on his blog each and every day.

John Keeton
08-22-2010, 7:21 AM
Jason, you are sure to be a hit at the show!! Those are some wonderful turnings. The maple set is very well done, and just looks very suited to that application. However, I am really drawn to the nested set, and the olive hollow form vase (even though I am not a vase person!) Those are just very nice!

I like the last form, as well - it is quite different and interesting. The texture of the wood adds a lot.

Christopher K. Hartley
08-22-2010, 9:59 AM
Nice works Jason I really like the effect of the Maple pair. Where did you find Olive that large? I've only seen smaller pieces.:)

Pete Jordan
08-22-2010, 10:12 AM
Jason,
They are all so different yet all so nice! I don't have a favorite.

Steve Schlumpf
08-22-2010, 10:28 AM
Jason - best of luck on your up-coming show! You are sure to be a hit!

Very nice work on everything! I especially like the Spalted Palo Verde hollow form. Great form and some really spectacular wood!

Thanks for sharing!

David DeCristoforo
08-22-2010, 10:51 AM
Nice stuff, Jason. The small maple pieces are very nice. But the larger olive hollow form is delicious! You totally nailed that one!

Tom Sherman
08-22-2010, 12:31 PM
You have some very nice works here Jason, my particular favorite are the nested bowls, they are very striking.

John Hart
08-22-2010, 12:38 PM
I gotta say that that the two little hollow forms are my favorite. They are just so cool with the burn pattern. Very impressive. As are the other pieces....I'm just picking a favorite.:)

Good luck in the shows Jason. It looks to me like you'll do well.

Mark Hubl
08-22-2010, 1:30 PM
Very nice work and nice diversity as well. The nested bowls and the olive hollow form are great. Really like them all and the Pyrography is nicely done. Good luck!

charlie knighton
08-22-2010, 7:45 PM
very nice, hard to choose a favorite, but just me, lose the doughnut, just lay the hf on side

Jeff Hamilton Jr.
08-22-2010, 9:03 PM
Really cool stuff. For "artsy" I too like the pyrography pieces. For useful, the set of nested bowls look awesome.

James Roberts
08-22-2010, 9:18 PM
Jason, good luck on the show. With pieces like these you are sure to do well. I really can't pick a favorite, they are all great.

Baxter Smith
08-22-2010, 9:31 PM
That is a great variety of very nice pieces!

Michelle Rich
08-22-2010, 9:52 PM
wow..lotsa work, but a grand quartet!

Jason Clark2
08-22-2010, 11:13 PM
Thanks for the compliments everybody! I'll let you know how the shows go. The one in October is a repeat show held on a Saturday evening in the spring and again in the fall. The November show is a new one to me and I still have to be juried in but I like my chances.

I'm lucky that I'm allowed to work from home so time that would normally be devoted to commuting back and forth to work can instead be devoted to woodturning. I also have a VERY supportive wife. She's a quilter so she understands my passion, we also have an unspoken agreement: she doesn't complain about my wood pile and I don't complain about her fabric stash.

Jason

Leo Van Der Loo
08-23-2010, 1:03 AM
Little late on the draw here, :o still I must say I love the Olive bowls and yes those small HF with the scorch marks sure look good to, all very nice work :D :D

John Keeton
08-23-2010, 7:04 AM
She's a quilter so she understands my passion, we also have an unspoken agreement: she doesn't complain about my wood pile and I don't complain about her fabric stash.

JasonMust be some kind of universal marital thing!!! Ms. Keeton and I have a similar agreement, though in addition to quilting, hers extends WAY beyond that! Craft supplies for the 13 grandkids, painting, general sewing, etc.

Good luck on the shows, Jason, and I doubt you will have any trouble with the juried show. You do some nice work.

Tim Rinehart
08-23-2010, 10:29 AM
I really like the maple with the pyrography, lots of character. The olive nested bowls are very striking...would enjoy seeing more of these for their character.
The hollow forms are very nice, especially the nice subtle opening on the 3rd pic of the Olive HF. The wormy Palo Verde is nice...but probably my least favorite of the group. I think it may be something with the base though, perhaps some sort of stand to better elevate and show bottom detail?

Great work, and again, good luck with show.

Van Huskey
08-24-2010, 3:25 AM
I love every one of those!

alex carey
08-24-2010, 3:29 AM
burned takes the cake.

Ken Glass
08-24-2010, 8:15 AM
Jason,
Those four are first class. You captured the character of each piece of wood. I really like the two burned Hollow Forms. They are striking. Very well done, and they will all do well at the either show. Well done.

John Hart
08-24-2010, 9:32 AM
Must be some kind of universal marital thing!!! Ms. Keeton and I have a similar agreement, though in addition to quilting, hers extends WAY beyond that! Craft supplies for the 13 grandkids, painting, general sewing, etc.

Good luck on the shows, Jason, and I doubt you will have any trouble with the juried show. You do some nice work.

My wife and I have a similar agreement. I get all the stuff done that she wants....and she'll let me near the lathe between midnight and 3am.

Sometimes...early in the morning on saturdays...when everyone is still asleep...I sneak out there for a little fix. shhhhhhh.:)

Mark Cothren
08-24-2010, 9:41 AM
All your work looks great, and that pair of burned maple vessels is fantastic!

Rob Cunningham
08-24-2010, 12:50 PM
Very nice work on all the pieces. Good luck at the shows.