PDA

View Full Version : Surprise Gloat

John McClanahan
08-21-2010, 10:59 PM
One of our area auction companies has a lot of storage auctions. They buy complete storage lockers that the renters have defaulted on. Then they sell off boxes and pieces at a time. Last weekend they had a tool auction. Someone who had a saw sharpening service and woodworking shop had lost his locker. Its close to my house, so I stop in to see what's offered. I never thought I would buy a woodworking bench as I don't really have room for one. But there was a small one up for auction, so I got it for $60.

When I got it home, I saw LERVAD stamped in one of the vices. I googled it and found the company. Seems it is still currently offered for sale.

That price converts into $1049,US:eek::eek:

I won't bother with the Porter Cable router, table and stand for $50. Or the old. heavy built bench grinder for $7.50. I will save those and a milk crate half full of saw blades for $7.50 for another time.:D

John

Van Huskey
08-21-2010, 11:30 PM
YOU SUCK!

Great score.

Jim O'Dell
08-22-2010, 12:03 AM
WOW!! The bench is in really good shape from the photo. Nice score. Jim.

Matt Logana
08-22-2010, 12:32 AM
One of our area auction companies has a lot of storage auctions. They buy complete storage lockers that the renters have defaulted on. Then they sell off boxes and pieces at a time. Last weekend they had a tool auction. Someone who had a saw sharpening service and woodworking shop had lost his locker. Its close to my house, so I stop in to see what's offered. I never thought I would buy a woodworking bench as I don't really have room for one. But there was a small one up for auction, so I got it for $60.

When I got it home, I saw LERVAD stamped in one of the vices. I googled it and found the company. Seems it is still currently offered for sale.

That price converts into $1049,US:eek::eek:

I won't bother with the Porter Cable router, table and stand for $50. Or the old. heavy built bench grinder for $7.50. I will save those and a milk crate half full of saw blades for $7.50 for another time.:D

John

You may not have room.... but we certainly do... feel free to free up that space by mailing it my-way... :D lol

Dave MacArthur
08-22-2010, 1:44 AM
nice score!

Myk Rian
08-22-2010, 8:00 AM
YOU SUCK!

Great score.
Yeah. That's a big time "You suck".

Roger Newby
08-22-2010, 9:12 AM
If you don't have room.........and you're only about 2 hours away........Heck...I'll even buy you lunch. ;) Nice haul.

Will Overton
08-22-2010, 9:37 AM
http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd75/Bill_de/051.gif?t=1282484242

Rich Engelhardt
08-22-2010, 9:47 AM
Thou Doth Sucketh!

Those storage locker sales are a great place to pick up all kinds of bargins though.
My wife has a client she works with whose friend makes a living out of buying and selling salvage/abandoned items.
He sold us a like new Toro Snowblower for $25.00.
Plus he threw in a small plastic gas tank and a quart of two stroke oil for it.

Erik Christensen
08-22-2010, 9:50 AM
nice bench - i have the exact same thing. I bought it in the early 80's and it has been used since. It is now used for job site work as I have a much larger bench for my shop. My only complaint is that it is a bit on the light side for hand tool work but I have found putting a 25-50# sack of sand on each end cross piece really makes a difference.

good score man

Joseph Tarantino
08-22-2010, 10:13 AM
$1000 bench for $60? sounds like a really first rate "you suck". and that bench will work better for you than the same bench if you bought it at full retail. that's because greaty buy tools always work better than full price tools. congrats.

Don Whitten
08-22-2010, 11:13 AM
Norm is crying.

David G Baker
08-22-2010, 5:04 PM
The grinder on the floor under the bench looks like my Craftsman grinder that I have had since the late 60's. It has served me well and is still running great.
What a great find on the bench.

Clark Magnuson
08-24-2010, 3:25 AM
The grinder on the floor under the bench looks like my Craftsman grinder that I have had since the late 60's. It has served me well and is still running great.
What a great find on the bench.

My father bought a grinder like that in the 1950s.

It is still in use, but the glass guards are lost.

Mike Cruz
08-24-2010, 7:32 AM
Awesome find! I love that you liked it for the $60 even before you knew its real worth.

Great to know that what you got is worth even more than you knew.

John McClanahan
08-24-2010, 8:25 AM
The grinder is dated 1954. The legs are removable on the bench. So, this winter when the shop gets turned into the garage, there will be more room for her car.

John