PDA

View Full Version : Source of wooden blocks for Krenov Style planes?

Tony Shea
08-21-2010, 8:48 PM
I am in need of some wood that is sized for some Krenovian style planes. I have made two of them so far but really struggle in finding the right size wood for the job. Locally there really is no good source of exotic or even domestic dense hardwoods, especially when looking for 16/4 stock. I need the 16/4 as most of my cuts end up on the table saw as I don't own a bandsaw, but the results have been excellent off the tablesaw so far. The two planes I've made were of some real dense Oak I can across that fit my size limitations perfectly.

Is there a sourse online that any of you have experience with in this size of hardwoods?

Steve knight
08-21-2010, 9:45 PM
there is no reason to use a solid piece of wood. buy a piece of 8/4 wood twice as wide as the plane. rip it in the middle turn it on edge you have the plane body resew the other piece you have the sides.
this is how I built all of my planes I have only built a few thousand though so I may be mistaken :D if you limit yourself to thick wood you will not have many choices and you won't be able to use the best woods.

Jim Koepke
08-22-2010, 2:37 AM
Tony,

What is your location?
There has got to be something around you if you are not in the middle of nowhere.

Here is something that is closer to Steve and I and they do mail order though unfortunately they have a minimum of $100. That is why when I am down in Portland with a few bucks extra I try to drop in.

gilmerwood.com

jim

David Woodruff
08-22-2010, 10:37 AM
Call Mardena @ Exotic Burl in Coquille. She should be able to help. As A turner at the AAW symposia over the years, but not in past four, had to get two new knees, the burl Mardena had was some of the most beautiful I have ever seen Probably still have 2k lbs of Redwood Lace, Claro, Myrtle, Big leaf, Black Oak.

For those looking for Mesquite Burl, call Harold Jambers. He is in the AAW resource section.

Oppps, I forgot we were talking about straight grain stuff. Since I have been a turner I just can"t think straight. That's been aout 45 years now.

Tony Shea
08-22-2010, 10:52 AM
Steve, I have to say that I trust your opinion greatly as I've seen much of your work. One of the planes I built with oak was with a glue up and seems to work fine. I was just hoping to avoid that extra glue line, not that it's that visible, just looking to get into some decent size stock. I will try your method though as I have some 8/4 bubinga laying around in smallish peices and think the weight of this wood would work great.

Is there anything about Bubinga that would make it a poor choice for glueing up and using for a plane?

David Kirtley
08-22-2010, 12:12 PM
Turning squares. Available at many sources. I get the 3x3.

Steve knight
08-22-2010, 1:32 PM
it is nice to get thick wood but it can be a pain too. the critical thing to remember is the wood needs to be fully acclimated to your shop. if it is not the sides will peel away from the body. so if you go buy some you need to ahve it sit for as long as it takes. Don't ask me how I learned this hard lesson. this is one reason I like my cnc cut planes as they don't have thin sides.
bubinga works fine and if you have it sitting around it would be the best thing.