PDA

View Full Version : Hitachi P13F 13" thichness planer

Mitchell Garnett
12-11-2004, 2:36 PM
(my first post to the forum so be gentle...)

Does anyone have any information on the new Hitachi P13F planer? It seems to be available only at Lowes. The price seems right ($350 including in/out tables and stand) and I'm happy with other Hitachi tools I have but I worry when Google produces virtually nothing in response to a search.

Thanks,

Mitchell

John Bailey
12-12-2004, 6:36 PM
Mitchell,

I'm new to the "Creek" also. Welcome! I also saw the Hitachi planer at Lowes. I don't know a lot about it. They had no information, other than what I could read on the box. It seems to be put together pretty well. I'm hoping some of the other more knowlegeble members can give some more serious insight. The cost, and specs, seem to be similar to the DeWalt 734. The big difference being the Dewalt has 3 blades instead of two.

David P McNamara
12-12-2004, 7:31 PM
Mitchell,
I have inquired around town about the "new" Hitachi tools to find out they are only available at Lowe's. This was the answer that I recieved when I went to my local "family owned" hardware store. They have always stood behind the products that they carry and I try to buy locally whenever possible. So I was off to Lowes to find out about the "new" Hitachi tools. When speaking to the Lowes "tool guy" he tried to talk me out of buying any of the stuff that available only at Lowes. According to him he said that the "new" products are only carrying a 1 year warranty, compared to the normal 5 year, and the motors and machining were being outsourced, then a Hitachi nameplate/sticker was slapped on at the factory. I also looked at the drill press and noticed no nameplate on the motor, not a good sign in my book. It is a little suprising to see the Hitachi name at such a "lowe" price but I guess you get what you pay for. I think the jury is still out on this one I would wait and see before buying or go with a proven product.
David

Marshall Harrison
12-12-2004, 8:26 PM
Mitchell, John and David - welocome to the creek. Sorry I can't help with the Hitachi planer but perhaps someone else here can though it appears to be new and I don't know of anyone that owns one.