PDA

View Full Version : All the staples aren't in the ends. :-(

David Rose
04-06-2003, 3:40 AM
When I get wood from the borg (seldom, except for SPF) I *carefully* check the ends for staples. Often they use about 5 to hold one one label. I always figured sure as the world I would hit one of those on a bandsaw rip. So I watch. I thought...

I had one piece left to joint an edge. It sounded odd after about an inch of cut. Knot, thinks me. Not knot. Staple. Just hammered that little bugger down flat. The process also left a good 1/8" nick in the blades. These were NEW blades! Drat it! And Scott Whiting told me they were some sort of bimetal (Jesada) that would only sharpen a time or two. I'll bet I lost all the sharpening times in one whack. And I hate to set those things up, though it goes pretty fast really using the "tick" method. I'll try offsetting them first, but...

For some unknown reason the next face cut wasn't smooth on about an inch of the left end of the blades. I checked the last face cut and it was smooth as could be. I did face a knot at exactly the spot where the blade is no longer smooth cutting on the last board.

Not my night, I guess. Maybe tomorrow will go better.

David

Jim Izat
04-06-2003, 12:17 PM
Hey David,

It shouldn't matter about the depth of the nick, offsetting them should take care of the problem. Just barely loosen the blades and tap one one way and the other the other. You'll be back to flat in no time.

Jim

Lee Schierer
04-07-2003, 12:34 PM
I recently worked some pine from the Borg an it had tags on the ends that were attached with nylon (plaastic) staples. They can't be pulled out, but fortunately don't harm the saw.

David Rose
04-08-2003, 1:20 AM
I bought had adhesive labels with no staples. I am still looking for staples though. ;-)

David

Mike Vermeil
04-08-2003, 12:43 PM
What the heck is the "Borg?"

Tom Sweeney
04-08-2003, 12:57 PM
But basically the Borg relates usually to Home depot - though I suppose it could also be applied to Lowes et al.

It is from the Borg of Star Trek fame. The Borg would basically take over anything in it's path to dominance. sort of Like what HD, Lowes, Walmart, etc.. generally do to the small local stores when they move in. I liked Star Trek OK, but not enough to know exactly what the Borg was.

I found a funny reference to the Borg and Microsoft here:
<a href="http://www.awpi.com/Combs/Humor/borg-micro.html" Target="_blank">CLICK HERE</a>

BTW - are you any relation to Dick Vermeil?

David Rose
04-08-2003, 2:09 PM
David, limping along on an old 300mhz Pentium with Win95