PDA

View Full Version : Segmented bowl

Bill Bulloch
08-21-2010, 5:52 PM
My latest turning it's Maple and Walnut. 12 inch diameter and 5 inches high.

What ya think?

Roger Chandler
08-21-2010, 5:55 PM
Bill, you do some beautiful segmented pieces. This one has an unusual form, almost an upside down [inverted] bowl shape. It is a really nice form, and it must take an awful lot of patience to put one of these together and get this nice of a finish.

Congratulations on a wonderful piece! :)

Jeff Hamilton Jr.
08-21-2010, 6:02 PM
That type of quality is what I aspire to. I also like the little segmented piece in the background!;)

David Christopher
08-21-2010, 6:08 PM
Bill, that is a beautiful piece

gary Zimmel
08-21-2010, 6:22 PM
Another example of your fine segmenting talent Bill...

James Roberts
08-21-2010, 6:26 PM
Really nice Bill. Great form and finish.

Bill Bulloch
08-21-2010, 6:29 PM
Bill, you do some beautiful segmented pieces. This one has an unusual form, almost an upside down [inverted] bowl shape. It is a really nice form, and it must take an awful lot of patience to put one of these together and get this nice of a finish.

Congratulations on a wonderful piece! :)

Thank you Roger. I origanally design had this form shorter, more squatter (if that's a word). After looking it over for several months, I thought it might look better with another ring added, so I did another one with an extra ring . Here they both are for comparision. Which do you like the best?

John Keeton
08-21-2010, 6:58 PM
Bill, well done!! Great joints, and one has a difficult time going wrong with walnut and maple!

Is Roger the only one that gets to vote?:) If not, my vote is cast for the lower of the two forms - but both are very nice.

Bill Bulloch
08-21-2010, 7:03 PM
Bill, well done!! Great joints, and one has a difficult time going wrong with walnut and maple!

Is Roger the only one that gets to vote?:) If not, my vote is cast for the lower of the two forms - but both are very nice.

Thanks John, and you know that your vote counts and is highly regarded. The lower of the two was the first one I did. That is the one I was trying to improve on.

John Keeton
08-21-2010, 7:08 PM
Bill, I truly do like both forms. And, this is a form I have never done, so please consider that. But, to my eye, to add height, I probably would have started the "belly" a little lower and show less foot. I do like the larger size, and the addition of the extra ring. I think it is the more prominent base/foot that diverts my attention.

Others may have a whole different take on this though, and I know absolutely nothing about this type of turning!

Roger Chandler
08-21-2010, 7:48 PM
Bill,

Everything on that display of yours is exquisite! To me, segmenting is one thing that separates "art" from usual fare. Not all art has to be segmented for sure, but segmenting really is a special thing, especially when you get to use exotic woods like blood wood and yellow heart, and combinations like purple heart/maple, or walnut/maple, it just presents such a striking contrast that makes me want to hold a piece just to admire how it was done.

Keeton's vote for the smaller of the two is one I agree with, but wow, they all are gorgeous!

Faust M. Ruggiero
08-21-2010, 8:23 PM
Bill,
I like both but the absence of the lowest board makes the shorter one more appealing to me. I admire your design skills also. I would imagine you have to draw a segmented bowl and plan all the pieces. Then you must spend hours at the disc sander making those joints so tight. Really precise work. Great skills !!!
faust

Bernie Weishapl
08-21-2010, 11:04 PM
Bill I think you have a beauty there. Really nice piece.

David E Keller
08-21-2010, 11:10 PM
Nice work, Bill. You've got a table full of beautiful pieces there!

I'm with the others on the shorter form... It's the curve at the bottom that I think draws me to the shorter of the two.